Digital Radio

Has the launch of MMM Country taken bits away from other SCA stations in Melbourne? Or was there spare bandwidth available?

MMM Country is now up and running in Sydney with a few audio drop-outs.

It is at 48kbps on 9B.

A little frustrating that my car radio DAB list now doesnt have all the Triple Mā€™s together as the rest are on 9A.

4 Likes

Interestingly, the Sydney broadcast of Triple M Country Digital doesnā€™t have the DAB+ slideshow images at the moment although there is ā€œNow Playingā€ data (typically seen as scrolling text on many radios) being transmitted.

Also Iā€™m not sure if it has anything to do with getting MMM Country up and working, but ā€œZedā€ (which previously aired content from a few Melbourne community broadcasters) has gone silent.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a weird one, but I donā€™t think that SCA would be doing thatā€¦

1 Like

Zed has since resumed with content. Since itā€™s flicked between content from a few Melbourne community broadcasters, Iā€™m still trying to work out exactly who itā€™s from and what itā€™s for!

1 Like

I would like to see a digital station called Triple M Variety.

This would feature a cross selection of tracks from GH/Classic Rock and Modern digital stations, but with an emphasis on lesser played tracks and with a large playlist.

2 Likes

Spare bandwidth - thereā€™s now 16kbps left.

2 Likes

That would be a disaster. Look how NTS came out to be, rubbish.

1 Like

Itā€™s an interesting alignment of SCAā€™s country station with the Triple M brand as itā€™s known for primarily being a ā€œrockā€ brand. I suppose they had to align it with either the Triple M or Hit.

SCA shouldā€™ve really made the launch a big thing and launched it at the Tamworth County Music Festival with a live OB.

I think SCA chose to align the country station with the Triple M brand because a lot of country music sounds closer to a ā€œrockā€ than a ā€œpopā€ sound.

Even though Tamworth is a regional market that SCA doesnā€™t broadcast to (well they used to with TV, but not anymore) and Triple M Country can only be heard in the East Coast capital cities, on 91.5FM in Toowoomba & online.

2 Likes

ā€¦the Sydney broadcast of Triple M Country Digital doesnā€™t have the DAB+ slideshow images at the moment.

Right now the Triple M Country [SYDNEY] DAB+ slideshow is present (must have fixed it later). Just the one slide.

1 Like

Just had a listen to Zed ā€¦ Itā€™s back on 3RRR.

2 Likes

On whose allocation? Very limited in Adelaide, Tattsbet would pay but thereā€™s no room for them.

ABC Country is not liked by many country music fans. Itā€™s old style, narrow and doesnā€™t reflect the modern future seen on the cable music channel or the direction of the Golden Guitars.

Dobbo finally got his act together? Another idiotic decision to remove country music from their multiplex earlier in the same way classic rock was removed.

Donā€™t know why they donā€™t use this format for Dobbo and Rexā€™s off band commercial station, Hot Country, could use the playlist and swap the branding.

Donā€™t wonder, call the community broadcasters or CBAA and ask.

Please, have you ever seen them with any vision for this format? Itā€™s a shoestring operation, Guy would barely ring his colleagues eg David Burton at his former station in Toowoomba to check on it. Thereā€™s no budget for it.

Does this deserve an answer? What happens any other time thereā€™s a rebrand?

1 Like

SCA certainly seem to have more of a vision for a country station than what they have at ARN or Nova.

No, only more bandwidth to put a few more automated playlists to air.

4 Likes

Quite possibly to stop Community Stations from broadcasting on the mux by stealth.

1 Like

As far as Iā€™m aware, all of the city-wide community broadcasters (regardless of whether they choose to simulcast the analogue station or run alternative programing) have spectrum on the DAB+ multiplexes.

2 Likes

The commercial stations, and the community stations jointly, pay an access fee based on the bandwidth they have. There would be no broadcasting ā€œby stealthā€, (I think that would be impossible).

3 Likes

As Iā€™ve said before - thereā€™s so many aspirant community broadcasters - they should be making space available for that - not piping up a Melbourne station.

I canā€™t even comprehend what youā€™re suggesting. If community stations did anything on the multiplex ā€˜by stealthā€™ they would just be disconnected from the commercial station owned facilities that get DAB to air - no oneā€™s risking that.

4 Likes