Digital Radio

Decided to tune into fun for a bit. The new announcer said classic hits for the weekend, on a Monday morning. Maybe they are based out of the USA. :wink:

1 Like

Lol!

Maybe every weekend is a long weekend in Bill Caralis landā€¦

1 Like

NTS should be deleted IMO.

2 Likes

I could not agree more there mate. When I was in Melbourne over the weekend we gave Easy Hits and Smooth a good run. I found that Easy were playing to many stale old songs while Smooth played a good variety of easy listening hits. (New and old). My Wife is 35 and she loves Smooth. :slight_smile:

1 Like

1sm is now playing fun. It had some news from the state of origin 3.

NTS will have to stay after Crocmedia won the A-League radio broadcast rights and 6PR will air some matches from next season. In the event the soccer clashes with cricket (especially BBL games involving the Scorchers) either of it has to go to NTS.

Went out to the Upper Lachlan district (Crookwell, Bigga) today. Canberra DAB+ was coming in at 1 bar strength at the Sheck Webster Lookout, about 10 km SE of Bigga. This is about 130 km as the crow flies from Black Mountain- possibly a new record for Canberra DAB? This distance is similar to Charlestown/Gerringong/Lithgow to Sydney- all of which are possible.

2 Likes

Charlestown to Sydney is about 105 km as the sober crow flies.

Sydney DAB comes in here at 4 to 5 bars normally.

Why canā€™t any clash go on Lifestyle?

1 Like

With Talking Lifestyle now available on DAB+ in Perth (as far as Iā€™m aware anyway) and presuming that can be used for sports coverage, thereā€™s probably no need for NTS anymore.

1 Like

Talking Lifestyle in Sydney and Brisbane already have AFL coverage I believe. Certainly possible.

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s usual reception in high points.

Good reception on the road from Young to Boorawa and on south facing ridges north of Boorowa towards Cowra.

High points near Taralga good also and further north to Curraweela. Likely same on the Tuena road to Bathurst.

If the ERP was increased to the level suggested in submission to ACMA, reception would be better but still no coverage in valleys such as main street Crookwell or Goulburn:

https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Spectrum-for-broadcasting/Spectrum-digital-radio/proposed-digital-radio-channel-plans

2 Likes

I see youā€™ve already done a thorough survey of Canberra DAB in those parts, Cranky Kong. Thanks for doing that legwork; I donā€™t have in-car DAB so can only survey at roadside lookouts.

Crookwell and Goulburn are not in the Canberra radio licence area, so would not be eligible for DAB repeaters from Black Mountain. If/when 2GN and Eagle FM obtain carriage on DAB, they will require a repeater in Crookwell (they have 103.7= Eagle and 106.1= 2GN on FM). Canberra DAB is available at the Crookwell Wind Farm which has an excellent takeoff towards the ACT (Tuggers repeaters+ Canberra LPONs receivable on FM).

1 Like

I donā€™t either, this was with a 4 x AA battery powered DAB+ radio in the car next to a window or under the sunroof.

The latest DAB+ ratings are out: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GfK_DAB-Only-Summary-Report-National_Survey-5-2017.pdf

Interesting to note that the new Triple M DAB+ stations (Classic Rock, Greatest Hits & Modern) are not listed this survey. Maybe theyā€™ll get listed next survey, considering a fair chunk of Survey 5 covered the period when they were not on air, considering that OMG! is still listed there.

In Sydney, Edge Digital is #1, followed by Coles Radio & Double J. Buddha Hits has overtaken Koffee in the battle of the ā€˜chill-outā€™ stations.

In Melbourne, ABC Jazz is #1, followed by Double J, Coles Radio & Buddha Hits. All of those aforementioned stations have higher cumes than Talking Lifestyle 1278. The gap between OMG! & Koool (which both have similar music formats) has narrowed, probably as a result of OMG! being replaced by Triple M Greatest Hits Digital on July 1.

In Brisbane, Coles Radio is #1, which its cume is just above that of Talking Lifestyle 882. In that same city, Buddha Hits & Koffee tied in the ā€˜chill-outā€™ battle, whilst Smooth is way ahead of Easy Hits in the easy listening battle.

In Adelaide, Smooth, The 90s & Coles Radio both shared the top position, whilst over in Perth, both Smooth & Buddha Hits shared the top position.

3 Likes

My understanding is that Survey 5 covers July 16-August 19, so this makes no sense; strange that Buddha/Easy/Oldskool are given their rebranded names, but with no footnote informing such as is the norm with metro surveys (such as when the ABC metro stations relaunches, plus ABC NewsRadio > ABC NEWS).

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, but the survey also covers the period of May 28-July 1, when the Triple Mā€™s new DAB+ stations werenā€™t on the air & OMG! was still on.

1 Like

That truly cements Melbourneā€™s position as the culture capital (if any more confirmation was needed). The affection for electronic lobotomy through Coles Radio seems to be nation-wide, though I must admit the playlist is pretty good at times.

2 Likes

ABC Grandstand number 2 in Brisbane.

It would be good if they released the digital/internet ratings for the AM and FM stations so we can see how many people are preferring DAB+ and streaming over AM/FM.

1 Like