Digital Radio

I think the gap has narrowed a bit for stations like 4KQ and Cruise. A small percentage of that would be down to DAB.

If Magic folds in Brisbane we’ll see 4KQ outrate Triple M in Brisbane. The DAB signal helps.

I think the other impact is an increasing share of “other” stations.

2 Likes

I am hoping MRN will keep Magic as a pure music station on digital with no DJ’s or News or the clutter at least

2 Likes

I think it is all but done and dusted that Magic Brisbane and Melbourne will turn into Advertorial stations

Would like to see 4KQ out rate the M’s

5 Likes

It’s likely, with an established breakfast team, stable music playlist, much going for it. I wish them well.

Right on the format change, unfortunately, Magic is viewed as a cost and due to the under-resourcing, it is under performing. Advertorial format gives a veneer of profitability, could be a success in time - however unfortunate they may be to many of us…

1 Like

I think it would be good for radio to have an AM station out rate an FM, even just for one survey to show that it can be done.

Survey 2 in 2015 4KQ beat hit105.3 and 4MMM. Not sure if there are any other examples.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I have a feeling Cruise outrated at least one of the Adelaide FMs once.

2 Likes

They outrated both 5MMM & hit107 (formerly SAFM) for 3 consecutive surveys in 2015 (3/2015 to 5/2015).
In fact, in Survey 4 that year, Cruise hit double digits (10.4) in the overall ratings!! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

There is no sound on Sydney DAB+ for either 2MFM or 2000fm.

Their FM broadcasts are fine however.

No such issues on Digital for 2SER, Fine Music, 2RPH, FBI Click or Hope1032.

There’s a new station on 9A in Sydney called “1SM” playing '60s and '70s music.

3 Likes

Hmm…is it possible that SRN/BOG are reading Media Spy for DAB+ station ideas?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As far as I can tell, it’s running at 48kbps with no changes to the bitrates of other stations so I presume that they purchased some additional bandwidth.

because “2SM Classic” isn’t obvious enough?
Also, isn’t FUN broadcasting 60’s and 70’s already?!

Apparently, FUN no longer plays any 60s music, and plays music from mainly the 80s & 90s with some 70s.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a ploy to be the first station alphabetically. My digital radio automatically goes to 1SM when turned on.

3 Likes

1SM also seems to be playing music from the 50s. For example, “Don’t Be Cruel” by Elvis Presley was one of the songs just on.

UPDATE: Also, this station seems to have the intermittent glitches which are also heard on Gorilla and Fun so I’d say this is definitely a SRN/BOG station. Oddly, no Station IDs so far although I did hear two ads (one for the National Security Hotline and one of those “Radio: It’s A Love Thing” spots which I presume is a CRA thing) earlier.

1 Like

So Gorilla is still on?

I tried to listen at work today online and nothing…

Yeah, Gorilla (along with Fun & Zoo) is still broadcasting on Sydney DAB+ so I can only guess that their streaming is currently down!

2 Likes

3 Likes

When did the station name for “2DayFM 1041” change to being “1041 2DayFM”? Another station trying to be first on the station list?

1 Like

Some of the radio text with the station’s (currently non-existent) online presence:
“See us on Facebook, ‘Like’ 1SM”
“When you can’t listen on DAB, listen online 1sm.com.au
“Follow us on Twitter @1smsuperdigi

1 Like