Digital Radio

No worries, thanks for your reply. Merry Christmas.

1 Like

And to you. Enjoy the toons.

1 Like

and the content between: that’s radio and why I don’t listen to an iPod.

1 Like

According to this UK site:

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/features/recognition/vhf-fm.shtml

Mixed polarisation was introduced because home radios tended to use horizontally polarised roof antennas, whereas car radios tended to have vertical antennas. My guess would be that Australia imported the UK standard.

I guess DAB uses only vertical polarisation because it’s a lot better for in-car reception, and the use case of having a DAB tuner in a Hi-Fi system, hooked up to an outdoor horizontally polarised antenna is comparatively rare (I reckon most people listening have those small mantle radios with integrated dipole antennas).

2 Likes

Ive just turned on a Unofficial stream of 4Tab2 Running as Stereo 10 .

Currently on http://58.165.61.158:8000/listen.m3u will run it until the station changes or my internet drops and i get a new ip address :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most car radio antennas seem to have antennas on an angle, or they are in glass or shark fin antennas. So I don’t see vertical as being any advantageous.

Thanks for that. Just had a brief listen and it sounds awesome- we can’t have nice things in Sydney, unfortunately. I just heard Phillip Bailey’s “Walking On The Chinese Wall”; it will snow in Sydney before that is played down here.

2 Likes

On top of the temporary broadcasts of 4IP on 4TAB & Stereo 10 on 4TAB 2, Brisbane already receives plenty of good permanent commercial music radio stations, including Rebel, Breeze, River & 4KQ (which is a more real classic hits station than WS in Sydney). For a fellow native Sydneysider like yourself who is stuck with having mostly uninteresting commercial music radio stations (especially if you’re not into Top 40), that seems quite unfair. :frowning:

Hey on a unrelated note does anyone know what SCA is planning to do with OMGradio yes it has great music but I get bored listening to it after a while does anyone agree with me reply back if you do and ps does anyone in this forum still miss classic rock digital

1 Like

While not all the music is true to the old Stereo 10 on 4TAB2 I’m absolutely loving the old jingles. I remember them all! Gee they had quite a few :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I still miss Classic Rock digital.
I don’t mind OMG and it’s probably in my top 3 DAB stations I listen to in the car. Probably wouldn’t listen to it at home though like I did Classic Rock. But it’s not bad for driving music.

1 Like

Yeah your exactly right becouse In my opinion compared to the other DAB stations I think OMG is the best but a better replacement for classic rock digital in my opinion would be a classic 70s and 80s hard rock station would do you think would that work against the other DAB stations that we have

1 Like

Thank you for finding this - very interesting, thank you, great effort to share it.

The 80s digital station is playing non-stop George Michael at the moment.

Easy Radio as well.

4 Likes

Easy radio is doing love songs at night does anyone know if they’ve always done this or is it new

I think it’s new. I haven’t heard it before.
I think a 70s and 80s rock station would work on DAB. Another format I heard on Satellite Radio in the US was New Wave - pop and some alternative rock from 1975 to 1985. Loved it.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly DAB in Australia lacks a cool format like the one you just mentioned because the thing with classic rock was it had a format which rock lovers like myself would like and plus it offered a alternative to bogan triple m :grinning:

1 Like

But I also think that easy or Oldskool might be the next ones to go like what happened with classic rock

I think however for SCA, Easy and Oldskool aren’t as likely to be taking listeners away from 2DAY or 2MMM, as was the case with Classic Rock Digital and MMM, whereby MMM had to add more Classic Rock to their FM stations playlist to appease listeners.

Yeah ok let’s be honest here has triple m at all added any of that classic rock to their playlist at all since classic rock digital shut down back in October 1st

1 Like