Digital Radio

BrianC68 will be pleased!

2 Likes

can someone explain to ignorant me what Channel 8D is? I thought it was only VHF channels 9 and 9A reserved for DAB?

And isnā€™t ABC using Channel 8 for DTV in Canberra?

The DAB Radio channels have a different numbering system to tv:

DAB Channel 8 is the same as digital TV channel 9 and is made up of 4 frequency blocks 8A-8D

DAB Channel 9 = digital TV channel 9A and is made up of block 9A-9D

Sydney/Melbourne etc currently use 9A, 9B and 9C of DAB channel 9 (that is actually on digital TV channel 9A)

DAB numbering starts at channel 5 that equals digital TV channel 6.

Very confusing to have two different sets of numbers, one for DTV, one for DAB.

Do any areas use DAB Channel 5, 6 and 7? Or is that just future planning?

They could have aligned the channel numbering system better between the RF numbering system and DAB Radio.

I reckon they should have called 9A, 9B, 9C for Digital Radio as VHF 9A.1, 9A.2 and 9A.3 since they are all using the VHF 9A spectrum.

And 8A to 8D should be known as VHF 9.1 to 9.4 since they are in the VHF 9 bandwidth.

Having 9A on 9 and 9AA on 9A might have also been confusing, so aligning with Europe is the less confusing of the two paths Iā€™d think.

The only approved DAB channels are 8 and 9 (they go up to 13). Have no idea why the other blocks are not being used.

Fair point although odd they didnā€™t take that into account when planning the spectrum given that DTV and DAB are both using VHF Band III.

[quote=ā€œTV.Cynic, post:549, topic:231, full:trueā€]
The only approved DAB channels are 8 and 9 (they go up to 13). Have no idea why the other blocks are not being used[/quote]

Avoiding overlap or interference with DTV channels broadcasting on VHF? At least DTV is largely kept out of channels 9/9A (DAB 8/9).

1 Like

Iā€™ve always thought it would be a better idea to mix the use of DVB TV and DAB Radio across Channels VHF 6 to 12.

eg. Taree could use VHF 6 for Digital Radio, but use VHF 9A for Digital TV (the opposite to Sydney)

Thereā€™s probably less chance of Digital TV intefering with Digital Radio and vice versa than with the same type of services using the same frequencies ??

1 Like

If you take DTV channel 10 as an example, the only area in Queensland that uses that is Wide Bay, so I donā€™t see why it couldnā€™t be used in many areas.

It would likely be harder for a DAB receiver to reject a weak interfering DVB-T signal than another DAB signal, so thereā€™s likely robustness gains.

I canā€™t think of many areas where it would be safe enough to use the VHF blocks of another market that would have the congestion issues that would result in there being any benefit to doing so.

Theyā€™ll be hedging their bets on getting assigned the currently spare VHF frequency - with there being no plan on the table for a TV use of it.

I think theyā€™ll want to keep VHF 10 for DVB-T2.

Yes very pleased

2 Likes

From the variation to the Sydney DAB+ plan if I am reading it correctly it looks like the services will be moved from Artarmon Chanel 10 tower to Whillougby, Chanel 9 tower.

Why also did they choose Winmalee over Kurrajong Heights for the repeater for Penrith for WS fm and DAB+

Yes Penrith is shaded from Artarmon but the areas with the worst reception are around Richmond, Windsor, Pitt Town, and the areas leading up to the west of Rouse Hill.

Kurrajong Heights has the height advantage over Winmalee, serves Richmond and surrounds better, and the black spots around Penrith.

Also when DAB+ comes to the Central Coast will it be 5KW Omni from Mt Penang?Or will it be at rediculously low ERP to prevent any overspill into Sydney, and use the existing tv translator sites to cover the licence area?

2 Likes

ACMAā€™s stated preferred option is highly directional with maximum power 5kw plus lower power fill-in transmitters.

I guess that will remove any chance of receiving Digital Radio from the Central Coast and Illawarra into Sydney when it comes?

1 Like

Also the possibility that some combination of Gosford, Katoomba and/or Wollongong could share the same channel blocks.

Have only read as far your post above, #515

Youā€™re correct, the full details are available to view in a table on PDF page 405 of ACMAā€™s radio & TV book:

http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Licence%20Issue%20and%20Allocation/Publication/pdf/TVRadio_Handbook_Electronic_edition%20pdf.pdf

Two full VHF DTV channels were reserved (or at least discussed, itā€™s late now) for DAB+ being VHF 9 and 9A.

Itā€™s not the same licence area, why should they be on Tamborine? Elanora yes, where the FM translator is, sure or Albany Ave Currumbin.

Same for Rebel/Breeze, their FM overspill across most of the Gold Coast for a handful of homes below the ridge at Tamborine should not give them rights for DAB+ access to the Gold Coast. Did they pay $26 million for a licence?

On the M1 yes. Move east, e.g Hope Island Road suburbs, great reception down to Harbourtown. Isle of Capri, Chevron Island, Broadbeach Waters are good areas for Brisbane DAB+

As are the ridges of Ashmore near Cotlew/Wardoo Streets. North facing slopes of Southport & Labrador.

The consultation paper confirms national broadcasters ā€˜intend to operateā€¦ with separate programming to Brisbaneā€™. Different multiplex.

This is lunacy, all metro local ABCs have 50kW transmitters to be heard in at least the adjacent markets, they should be on digital as the programming is different. Remember national services are planned to licence areas but not limited to them.

The regional roll out/planning has had input from the CBAA on the committee.

As Cat 1 DRMTs allow 2/9 of the bandwidth for community, thatā€™s four stations nominally at 64kbps. The Gold Coast has 4 stations.

Indeed. In building and terrain obstructed coverage within the Brisbane licence area is difficult with DAB+

Moving from 23 to 50kW is effectively a doubling of the signal, the > 3dB+ will really help.

Because of DTV, correct TVau.

For bonus points: do you spot the error in the Gold Coast planning? The clue is that no null is needed towards Brisbane to protect DTV channel 8.

2 Likes

Maybe because they already repeaters for the dab commercial services from Hawksbury Heights. This will make it easier to turn on 9C. It is interesting that they followed your logic and chose Kurrajong for DTV though.