Digital Radio

Disagree completely! Maybe it’s an older person’s thing but I love digital radio. I have ten of them. :smile: I do however like the latest technology too. Just love radio and have always collected radios.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m with you on that. I still use my DAB alarm clock and listen almost exclusively to DAB in the car. Just can’t be bothered with trying to stream in the car even though my car has the capability.

The only time I stream is at work - and I stream overseas radio stations, mainly Absolute Radio DAB stations or US stations.

I had Pandora while it was available but didn’t really use it a lot as I just found it “dead” compared to even DAB-only stations.

2 Likes

I am a bit the same :smile:

Though I “only” have 7 digital radios.
I can see I need to lift my game.

1 Like

From Radioinfo:

ARN and Chemist Warehouse are launching a dedicated DAB+ station.

Hosted by Brendon ‘Whippy’ Dangar and Zoe Sheridan the all new Chemist Warehouse REMIX station will feature a combination of national news, sport, weather and music’s freshest hits.

Chemist Warehouse REMIX is the first in-store and DAB+ combined radio station to offer national news, sport and weather to listeners, with updates hourly from 7am to 10am and 3pm to 6pm weekdays.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/chemist-warehouse-and-arn-launch-remix

Now I could be wrong, but I personally thought ARN and Chemist Warehouse have been running that station on DAB+ for years now. Sounds like they’re just relaunching the station to include presenters and national News/Sport/Weather Updates.

11 Likes

It’s more a REMIX RELAUNCH.

6 Likes

They should call it ReKIIS now :rofl:

4 Likes

"Headlining today’s bulletin - how you can get years back off your life with the OsteoSpray, and revelations Malcolm Turnbull didn’t take his Inner Health Plus on the day of his overthrow as Prime Minister. It’s always clear and 24 degrees inside your air conditioned Chemist Warehouse store! More news at 8… "

Obviously it’s not on DAB, but I think Kmart used to have a news service on their in store radio? It’s just rare you’re in there at the top of the hour and want to just stand there and listen. And most employees who want the news can look at their phones or a TV in a lunch room - so I struggle to think what the benefit to the in store experience is by adding news.

It’s the music selection that makes Coles Radio good, people aren’t going to think “well I want a branded radio station, but I really want news on it” and switch to CW Remix.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s correct.

There were “Kmart In-Store Radio” Station IDs as well, although I’ve got no idea if that’s still a thing because it’s been quite a while since I last stepped into a Kmart.

1 Like

Does DMG Nova still produce Coles Radio

Hobart’s Commercial DAB+ Multiplex was licensed by ACMA today! It will be on the air in a couple of months if everything goes to plan.

4 Likes

Yes

Supercheap Auto have news on their in store radio, as well as fake security checks.

3 Likes

Excellent news! The licence:

Hopefully Canberra isn’t far behind.

2 Likes

Explain.:thinking::yum:

Basically it’s a voice over, designed to sound like the store PA, that says someone along the line of “Security check to section C” - to give the impression that there’s someone out the back monitoring the CCTV. They play once every 20-30 mins I’d guess, often enough that you’ll hear it on most visits to the store, but you rarely hear it multiple times in a single visit.

3 Likes

they still do. they distribute via satellite (optus D2) in the clear. I have a D2 setup for FTA Christian programming.

1 Like

I reckon if I was the only customer in Section C at that time, I’d be a bit miffed that they would publicly announce that they were effectively suspicious of me.

This kind of thing will backfire on a store one day, if not alresdy.

2 Likes

JB HiFi appears to have fake security check announcements too, asking security to go to a certain section but the person on the door doesn’t move, just continues to check if customers have shoved a microwave or guitar in their shopping bag.

4 Likes

Yeah I agree. Sounds dumb to me.

3 Likes

The sections of the store aren’t marked though, so you’d never know. In fact I’d be surprised if section C even exists. Super cheap have had these for at least 10 years and everyone I know who shops their knows they’re fake now. I agree, they’re stupid.

2 Likes