Digital Radio - Content

KIX is owned by Bundaberg Narrowcasters Pty Ltd who is owned by the licencee of 4BU and Hitz Bundaberg. So it was Rural Press, then Grant Broadcasters and now ARN.

KIX was on DAB+ is Perth through 6IX being a JV of Capital and Grant Broadcasters.

That website looks be run by West Coast Radio as it matches their other sites. I’d say they can to an agreement where they pay Grants/ARN for the content and in return get to sell the ads.

3 Likes

Just updated the SEN app and the update says that it has support for SEN One. Does anyone know what that is and if it’ll be on DAB+ in Melbourne or elsewhere?

3 Likes

It’s their united account system which can be used across multiple platforms. They might introduce a paid tier to access premium content.

5 Likes

Light Christmas has gone back to playing Christmas music. And it’s only February!

5 Likes

Yeah christmas is only 10 months away may as well keep it going. :grinning:

4 Likes

From latest ACMA report - June 2022 - DAB+ has more listeners than FM while AM is ahead of both for time spent listening.

https://www.acma.gov.au/publications/2023-02/report/communications-and-media-australia-how-we-watch-and-listen-content

2 Likes

I do find it hard to believe that DAB+ has more listeners than FM.

7 Likes

I can’t see in the report where it says DAB+ has more listeners than FM & also that time spent listening figure = DAB+ & FM, I call bullshit on that too.

I don’t know what ACMA would have to gain fudging or bullshitting figures, but as someone in the industry & who operates both DAB+ & FM transmitters, figures of DAB+ & FM being equal or even close are just wrong, let alone DAB+ having more listeners than FM.

The DAB+ network is shit, old end of life transmitters that are often breaking down or have service disruptions (almost a daily occurrence), Vs FM which works pretty much flawlessly day in day out.

If an FM service has an issue (commercial or high listener community), we’ll know about it pretty fast, with complaints flooding in & radio stations on the phone fast to fix it, in over 2 years I’ve been involved in operating the DAB+ transmitters in Sydney & Melbourne, other than reports from you guys in here, we’ve had one listener complaint from someone around the Newport NSW area who listens to ABC radio on DAB+.
No chance in hell there’s more DAB+ listeners than FM.

11 Likes

Yeah that graph is time spent listening. While it says “all respondents” that could just mean all respondents that report listening to DAB+.

I can easily believe DAB+ listeners would listen longer, but the overall number of them could be only a fraction of FM.

This interpretation works for AM too. Far fewer listeners than FM, but they could listen longer.

7 Likes

Damn statistics.

4 Likes

Does it count listening to the ABC via digital TV as digital radio?
There might be a few in that camp since the ABC pushes it quite a bit (especially when the cricket is on)

2 Likes

The questionnaire says “digital radio (DAB+)” in all the relevant questions.

Do you have a digital radio (DAB+) at home
Digital radio (DAB+) built into the car audio system
Digital radio (DAB+)

3 Likes

I wonder how many respondents really knew what that meant.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s astonishing. It shows how popular the DAB radio formats are.

2 Likes

It’s average hours spent listening, but doesn’t specify how many people are listening.

3 Likes

And average hours spent listening (5.8) is still a good number , and level with FM according to the report.

Regardless of how you interpret the data in the report, it should be a wake up call to the ALP to help subsidise a DAB+ expansion in some of the major regional centres such as Sunshine Coast, Newcastle, Central Coast, Wollongong, Geelong, Coffs Harbour, Albury and Tamworth.

The problem is the ABC. They just don’t seem interested in a DAB rollout as they seem to be more focussed on DRM. They’re still not on air on the Gold Coast and it seems as though they’ve given up, which leaves CRA and community radio to do the heavy lifting in a regional DAB rollout.

4 Likes

I agree the ABC and Govt should be pushing the expansion of DAB+ into the large regional centres like Sunshine Coast, Newcastle etc.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed that the sample sizes are different for each of the radio types. So while people spend more time listening to AM than FM, almost 50% more answered for FM than for AM.

3 Likes

Apart from funding, they may not yet have figured out how they will operate.

I get the impression that the ABC DAB+ services are expected to operate as an SFN nationally, with everything on 9C (as Sydney and Canberra do for instance)… But given the signal overlap with Brisbane, I am guessing this means that ABC Gold Coast (same programs as 91.7) would need to go on the commercial mux (8D)…

2 Likes

I agree that seems like the most practical option, but there’s no provision in the legislation for a national broadcaster to be on the commercial/community mux.

3 Likes