Digital Radio - Content

I’m away in Canberra this week but apparently Gold Coast DAB has launched the community stations on it as of today?

Anyone confirm?

All bar 94.1. No surprise only one without rds too

5 Likes

6 Likes

Well at least theyre there now… wonder how long before ABC comes on!

4 Likes

Same 32kbps garbage?

2 Likes

All at 48kb/s

4 Likes

Oooo thats better… any change in the commercials

3 Likes

32 still for commercials

3 Likes

No text… hmmm interesting

and no 94.1 as reported

3 Likes

The 3 stations have just disappeared.

Back again - sounding great.

4 Likes

they have any text yet?

3 Likes

No text on any of the community stations.

With all 3 using EEP 3A, fringe reception in the car is noticeably inferior to the EEP 1A stations Hot Tomato etc.

3 Likes

I believe Dan Gulson is working on the engineering for one/all the community stations, he’s pretty switched on, so should have it working soon.

As Hot Tomato has one of the last experienced RF engineers working for them, David Crane. His expertise again has paid off with 1A error correction making a considerable difference in low signal areas as you’ve noticed @TV.Cynic

2 Likes

Good to hear. 94.1 would also be a welcome addition.

No mention on air, so far, that I’ve heard about DAB.

3 Likes

If 94.1 got their act together to be suitably considered for a permanent licence, it would be a welcome addition.

The many years 94.1 have had to prepare for this day and yet still haven’t satisfied not applied for a permanent licence is very telling of their lack of organisation.

2 Likes

Very true.

I wouldn’t mind if 94.1 didn’t get a permanent licence. It might be a possible frequency for a new Brisbane FM licence or an AM conversion?

3 Likes

Still no Rebel or Breeze on the Gold Coast DAB+ multiplex?

3 Likes

Sadly I don’t think they are allowed.

3 Likes

Correct @Brianc68, not allowed as their licence is not for Gold Coast RA1.

Rebel Media are the sole commercial licensee with RCRSNEZ RA1.

ACMA offered commercial licensees an opportunity to aggregate licence areas for digital only.

The result?

No surprise, the larger commercial licensees continuing their flawed and outdated protectionist model of bitter opposition to all other sources. Rebel excluded of course.

Bill & Pam’s 2MW/Radio 97 has a FM translator atop Elanora to cover Bonogin Valley and north to Broadbeach extremity of Murwillumbah RA1.

Again, excluded from Gold Coast DRMT.

More alarmingly, ACMA drag their feet to develop a DRMT and allocate spectrum to Rebel and Broadcast Operations for digital.

3 Likes

I prefer to listen to FM stations on FM anyhow, so Rebel and Breeze not being on DAB in these SEQ markets is no big loss as far as I’m concerned. But you have a point in terms of the principle of the matter.

5 Likes

For some reason, SEN 1116 in Melbourne is just relaying SEN Track rather than SEN Sydney, which would have at least given it something different to broadcast. This is on both AM and DAB+.

Why oh why?

2 Likes