SEN (Company) (formerly Crocmedia)

Which is more than their ~300k cume in the ratings - of which the majority would be exclusively on 1116am.

Counting each stream as a listener might get you to 40k? Over a year? Still it’s a wild exaggeration at best.

Probably fine off band? 1629 frequency was also the Radio 2 frequency in Adelaide, if the wikipedia list can be believed.

1 Like

My car radio goes to 1602AM. I’d presume most would as well?

Away from the car presently but I think it goes up to 1710.

SEN SA has announced its drive team.

1 Like

I genuinely think Hutchy doesn’t know it’s an off-band station, there’s some serious resources going into this

If it lasts footy season next year I’ll be stunned, regardless of programming quality

1 Like

If they wanted to go down this path I think they needed to pay whatever it took to get 1611 AM in the north off Vision and 1620 AM in the south off Gumnut. Everyone has their price.

1 Like

Tim Lane and Michael Barlow were guest co-hosts on Sportsday across Victoria and Tasmania this evening, while Gerard Healy and Dwayne Russell took a break.

I’d assume they’d have more luck and better receiver compatibility trying to get one of the FM narrowcast networks.

One potential path could well be digital TV - perhaps they could do a deal with Nine for an audio channel, given how much content they produce for them on TV.

Edit: My read on the legislation is that there was a defacto rule against this previously as there were limits on datacast licenses providing services that could be considered commercial radio, however stations are now free to have as many channels as they like, so there’s no need for such an audio channel to have a datacast licence.

I suppose the upcoming issue now though is that in theory Nine will own MSR, though that also isn’t on air in Adelaide so…

Still - I can’t think of any way for them to make a viable service on just off-band AM.

1 Like

Oddly, the Broadcasting Services Act still prohibits the holder of a commercial television licence using that licence to provide a radio service. It probably should be changed.

3 Likes

Knew there was something like that but couldn’t find it, thanks.

There’s the obvious loophole that they could just make it television by adding a video feed - radio with a webcam is just as television as anything else. Might be a bit too steep of an ask over just an audio feed.

I’m surprised with the level of cross-media ownership that they haven’t pushed to have that removed, SCA carrying their radio stations on TV and Nine might want it into the future with the Fairfax ownership.

3 Likes

I think Craig Hutchison should pay the power bill to power the 1377 am transmitter at Rowville out of his own wallet/pocket Then he problay relize its a waste of money simlicasting 1116 and 1377

2 Likes

That’s the most sensible suggestion since this sorry saga was announced.

They have either underestimated the limitations or they don’t care, simply thinking a signal is a signal and that it gives legitimacy to their web stream.

There’s two shifts, four on air across them, at least one or two producers, there’s six staff for programs plus admin and sales, close to ten people, not to forget a contractor for engineering you’d think. Staff costs close to $1 million. More choice, more ownership diversity is welcome, however at the risk of sounding pessimistic, Adelaide is a very small market, growth isn’t huge.

1 Like

Shane McInnes is filling in for Dwayne Russell on Sportsday in Victoria (including 3AW) and Tasmania all this week and next week, as Dwayne is in Shanghai for the AFL match between St Kilda and Port Adelaide this Sunday (he will call the clash for Fox Footy).

1 Like

Radioinfo reports that Crocmedia has acquired broadcast satellite company, Rapid TV with the acquisition spearheading its expansion into live outside broadcast, streaming, satellite and distribution services.

More at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/crocmedia-makes-rapid-expansion

1 Like

What is it funded by?

Anyone know anything about The Stockman’s Breakfast/Brunch radio show on SEN+1377?

It looks to be a little more lifestyle than sport.

Is this the only show dedicated to 1377?

1 Like

Advertorials, a hangover from the 3MP days

1 Like

There’s some similar lifestyle type shows on a Saturday morning too. At least it breaks up the simulcast somewhat

3 Likes

Does anyone have any details on what narrowcast licences Crocmedia bought off Gumnut Nominees (Rete Italia)?

I can’t find a list of what frequencies & locations they are?

I’m asking because I’m wondering if 801kHz Central Coast is one of them, they’ve been silent carrier (or extremely low audio), for probably over week now, & the licence is due to expire at the end of September 2019. I’m wondering if Rete Italia have ended, ready to expire the licence & hand over to Crocmedia?

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same about 1611AM Western Sydney.

I’m sure I’ve been able to hear Vision on that frequency (albeit not with very good reception in my location) before, but it seems to have gone silent recently.