SEN (Company) (formerly Crocmedia)

Crocmedia has signed a five-year NRL radio deal

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11LgD-Cgvupqa-yYlhrvD9oc7iTLd8gsQ/view

And no strong text or block lettering required.

1 Like

Sounds like an advertorial with the GA MM on air.

Mitch Cleary is quitting as reporter for Sportsday VIC after he was appointed chief football writer of AFL official website, effective from next Monday March 5. He will still appear on the show on an irregular basis. (I think he will also continue his appearance on Footy Classified)

From Radioinfo:

Crocmedia is the official partner of Bowls Australia after signing a two-year agreement.

The broadcaster will produce exclusive radio and television content for bowls, including television coverage of the sport’s open annual event, the $250,000 prize-money Australian Open in June.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/crocmedia-and-bowls-australia-sign-partnership-deal

1 Like

Triple M announced today it was pulling out of broadcasting cricket after two summers. Could it pave the way for Crocmedia to fill the void?

2 Likes

Think it’s all but certain now that the ABC, Macquarie (due to MSR) and Crocmedia will all pick up the radio rights in some fashion

I hope Croc do.

MMM ran a far too expensive talent team.

I wonder if Crocmedia will buy all the commercial radio rights and then syndicate it (like they’ve done for AFL, A-league and to a lesser extent the NRL). Might mean that MSR and 3AW miss out in Melbourne. MSR (Syd/Bris), 5AA and 6PR would then cover it outside of Melbourne.

1 Like

News Corp reports Cricket Australia could announce the new radio rights by the end of this week, with Crocmedia and Macquarie Media broadcasting the BBL in a new joint venture similar to that for the NRL and the AFL.

1 Like

Love the reference to “the new 2UE sports channel”. Macquarie Sports Radio clearly making an impact!

3 Likes

I imagine this may end up with both Test Cricket and BBL produced by Crocmedia but aired on SEN in Melbourne and MSR in Sydney and Brisbane.
Alternatively in Melbourne, Test Cricket could be on MSR 1278 and just have the BBL on SEN. It depends how heavy they are prepared for SEN to be with live cricket coverage.

Eddie McGuire on 3MMM this morning suggested there is a push (presumably from Crocmedia) to purchase all the radio rights that may even exclude ABC Radio from broadcasting test cricket.

A massive shake up if it comes to pass. I imagine it would require regional stations nationwide to take Crocmedia’s feed or Cricket Australia would not allow it I would think.
Or perhaps ABC regional stations would be allowed to still broadcast in areas where no commercial broadcast is heard? Only early speculation at this stage.

Depending on the takeup by regional commercials, that could be very hard to implement with ABC broadcast areas far exceeding the reach of individual commercial stations.

1 Like

Cricket Australia have their c. $1 billion. It is just greed that they would rather take the commercial golden pot of money and exclude the ABC (if indeed Eddie McGuire is correct).

Even so, if they could exclude the ABC metros and enough major centres (ie. Townsville, Cairns, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Wollongong, etc), it may just be the money spinner required for a commercial broadcaster to have exclusive rights in the metro areas.

Wouldn’t it be similiar to what Crocmedia did with the AFL rights whereby they became the ‘master’ rightsholder and then entered into arrangements with Macquarie, Triple M, etc to sub-licence the rights?

Yes, but ABC still negotiated directly with the AFL.

Cost cutting Craig bidding more than the ABC? Even if the ABC, I find it hard that Craig would spend more.

Personally, not concerned if ABC is out of cricket.

Never a fan of Kerry O’Keeffe nor Jim Maxwell, they had/have a dated style and not in an entertaining way like the Benaud/Greig/Lawry et al commentary team.