Cricket

We’ve got the SCORCHERS, the RENEGADES, and now…

Right.

I’ve wondered what happens if the ball goes into that pool?

Is it six and out?

Seriously, I’m guessing the ball would be replaced.

Massive collapse by the Pakistanis tonight. They were 1-40 odd and now 8-97! Looks like the test match could finish tommorow if Australia decide to enforce the follow on which isn’t great for Channel 9.

Also, another excellent crowed in for the second day’s play!

No, I don’t think Perth really needs another team. Sydney and Melb have like 5m people each, which warrants another team. But a place of a population of more than half of that I don’t think we need it.

It sounds stupid I know, but it plays off of what Freo is known for, the Freo Doctor - basically the nice, cool sea breeze coming in on the mainland at the arvo. Everyone in Perth (and WA to an extent) knows this term.

The name could also mean they’re gonna breeze through the other team because they’re so good.

Anyway it actually is a pretty funny name

2 Likes

We’ve already got enough weather based team names in the BBL… Scorchers, Heat, Thunder, Hurricanes.

Why not Fremantle Foxes or something?

I definitely think Canberra should be next in line for a franchise, but the BBL is lothe to expand at this stage. Manuka Oval gets pretty good attendances when ODI’s are staged there, and they hosted the BBL final a couple of years ago.

Should be up to Channel 9 to make sure they have something as a back up for the schedule if the test finishes early. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes good, glad they collapsed. Australia did well.

I think if anything they should get another team in Adelaide. Nearly every game there has sold out.

Entry to the Gabba tommorow will be free for the final day of the test match against Pakistan. Pakistan require around 100 with 2 wickets in hand and if they did chase them down it will probably be the greatest run chase of all time! Still very unlikely though.

1 Like

They had 42 balls at the ready as opposed to 18 that they normally have according to ABC information sources.

2 Likes

Pakistan are really taking it to Australia. Its fantastic. Not as one sided now as we thought and at least, even if they lose, we know the other games can be competitive.

I agree.

It’s a bit of a shame that Pakistan didn’t bat like this in the first innings.

We could have had a fantastic 5th day on our hands here otherwise.

Shafiq is going to have to bat the innings of his life with only tailenders Yasir Shah and Rahat Ali left, and still needing another 108.

But there’s still 82 overs left, so if Shafiq can hog the strike, you just never know.

Australia were in a similar predicament in England in 2005, trailing by almost the same margin (107 I think) going into the 5th day with only 2 wickets remaining and they lost by only 2 runs!

However, Australia’s tailender batting has generally always been better than most (despite the efforts of Amir and Riaz last night), so I would expect Australia to win this within the 1st hour this afternoon. Weather forecast looks good.

Even if Pakistan win or lose from here, and to lose is more likely, what a great run chase and record breaking innings. This paves the way for a very competitive series. Looking forward to Melbourne and Sydney.

1 Like

WHAT A TEST!!! So happy we won but Pakistan just an amazing effort from them!

4 Likes

CA’s CEO James Sutherland said to media at HQ today that he sees the BBL expanding as a “mere formality”.

With more games to come first.

Then more teams (Geelong and the Gold Coast are said to he strong possibilities). Surely if VIC got a third team, NSW should as well?

I believe Simonds Stadium (Kardinia Park) in Geelong is hosting a T20 International or something soon?

Fantastic to see the Boxing Dat Test play resume, after around 3 hours of nothing, definitely their weirdest I’ve ever seen (in terms of the weather), very rare.

Just saw Bird take a wicket, with Smith having another catch (finallyyyyyy… It only took 6 hours) :grin:

I think we will see Fremantle get a team before Gold Coast. QLD are struggling to get a crowd at the moment so continue to build the teams in the popular states first. I think eventually you will see at least 4 new teams with Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast and possibly a second in SA.

This is the first year I feel there is a distanct fan base at games.

I cant see how the competition can support another team (or teams) - the pool of players isnt big enough to produce a competitive team IMO

The Gold Coast is a terrible choice - sport goes to the GC to basically die

3 Likes

Its true. I cant see the talent pool being deep enough but they will want to capitalise on the success and expand. Perhaps they will allow more international stars to join and increase the salary.

Yes, I think quality will suffer a bit with more teams.

If they structured the international schedule to allow Australian players like Warner and Smith to play the whole comp, it would be realistic and crowds, TV ratings etc would be even better again.