Cricket

The boundaries would be way too narrow if they did that - there’s an article here about it - The long and the short of Kardinia Park | cricket.com.au

The other benefit is that the angle means more of the premium seats at the ground have a better viewing angle.

1 Like

I was at the Sydney test today - we’re boned.

4 Likes

If it were north south, the square boundary would be below regulations hence the unusual angle. This only became a problem when BBL came to town last season. Previously, first class matches had the pitch north south before cricket relocated next door.

Metricon also has an unusually oriented pitch, but that is due to the massive scoreboard at the northern end and the adjacent light tower.

2 Likes

4/308 man oh man! SCG is a spinners paradise though.

Interesting, heard Lane just say “30,000” (I take it he said Day 1) and said “that’s disappointing for Sydney”. What did he mean?

I reckon Tim Lane was suggesting the day 1 crowd of the Sydney test could have been higher. But yesterday and today are working days for many people.

The squad for the upcoming one-day series against India was announced at lunchtime and there are massive changes.
OUT: Travis Head, Chris Lynn, D’Arcy Short, Ben McDermott, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ashton Agar
IN: Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Usman Khawaja, Mitchell Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Jason Behrendorff

2 Likes

India has virtually batted Australia into submission with a massive score of 7(dec) for 622 in the first innings of the fourth test at the SCG. Cheteshwar Pujara just missed out on his fourth double century with 193, while Rishabh Pant scored 159. India only need to draw the test to win a test series in Australia for the first time so they don’t have to worry about the rain forecast for Sydney this weekend.

3 Likes

Its only tomorrow afternoon that there is any significant rain forecast, should clear early Sunday.

It’s virtually impossible for Australia to win this Test now.

It will be around 40C tomorrow here, maybe a bit lower at the SCG. The milder change is predicted to arrive very late tomorrow evening. The only rain would be from storms I would think (though we’ve been copping some big ones lately). Looks like BOM are keen on rain.

All fairly inconsequential because barring a miracle a’la “Amazing Adelaide” in 2006, the series is now lost. Well played India- let’s hope the Aussies eat some well overdue humble pie. The series against Sri Lanka will probably result in a couple of “feel good” victories but I hope this doesn’t bring the old arrogance back.

1 Like

The current side is nowhere near that calibre, it would be lucky to punch it’s way out of a brown paper bag.

2 Likes

Honestly how good is Pant? Absolutely unbelievable wicket keeper/batsman. Probably one of the best since Gilly.

3 Likes

And he’s only 21 years old!

Gilly didn’t play for Australia until he was 28.

1 Like

This will be a team that will dominate for years. Although, I must say…a tad disappointed not to see any banners referencing this…

And they’ve done it! Hobart Hurricanes are 5 from 5 and did it with 1 ball to spare at Bellerive tonight (for those who could get there!) What a game!

1 Like

I would like to see the Hurricanes win the BBL this year, as they are one of 3 sides yet to win the title (along with both Melbourne teams).

1 Like

Herald Sun reports tonight Cricket Australia will revisit the idea of playing a BBL match on Christmas Day. BBL boss Kim McConnie told the paper the feedback from fans was they would welcome a T20 match on Christmas night.
CA needs to be careful on considering such an idea. The Sydney derby on Christmas Eve 2018 was thumped by Carols by Candlelight in the FTA ratings and it was not a full house at Spotless Stadium.

1 Like

CEO of CA, Kevin Roberts, has been very open about the move to having a BBL game on Christmas Day.
Really not sure why the Herald Sun believes it is news now?

There was also the issue of the Opal Tower being evacuated and having to close Olympic Park station in case it fell. A lot of people catch trains to Olympic Park for events.

As for the idea of Christmas night games - I have two words for Cricket Australia.

F##k off.

3 Likes

Marcus Harris is looking good. Definitely would be Australia’s best batsman this summer.

2 Likes

At least one Australian batsmen needs to make a century and for Australia to get within 200 of India’s first innings (422 or more) to salvage some respectability and pride in the baggy green.

1 Like

Does anyone else think that Tim Paine isn’t the right captain? I think they should give it to Nathan Lyon.

The ideal cricket team I would like to see from Australia against Sri Lanka:

khawaja
Harris
Head
Labuschagne
Finch
Stoinis
Paine
Cummings
Starc
Lyon
Hazzlewood