Cricket

After a 2 hour rain delay, it only took the Indians less than 5 overs and 3 runs to get the last 2 wickets and take a 2-1 series lead.

It now means that India retains the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

Actually…

https://twitter.com/MCG/status/1079209714456522752?s=19

1 Like

What did you expect with 2 wickets left? I’m sure more would have come if it had lasted more than 4 overs.

2 Likes

For the record, yesterday’s attendance at the MCG was 19,855.

Seemed like a nice reaction from the locals for Bancroft.

Yeah, Cameron Bancroft was the wicketkeeper against the Hobart Hurricanes game at Launceston and he was able to catch George Bailey out for 1.

Was actually pretty good, I could hear a few boos but not many and the music I think was louder as well to drown out any reaction. There also wasn’t really any fuss made when he was around too unlike with the commentary on TV so a lot of people also might not have realised the significance. Was good though that the crowd were good.

2 Likes

I think they Hurricanes should ask for a NYE home match next year. Cricket Australia could make it a double header. I think it would be good for the locals.

They used to have NYD, think they’re more interested in that.

2 Likes

Yeah fair enough. Just thought it would be quite a good scene if they had one game that went from 6-9 and another from 9-12.

NYE isn’t really a good time here. Got the Taste of Tasmania on, think that pulls a reasonable crowd. I imagine it’s the same market that they’d then both be chasing. Maybe NYE in Launceston could be a goer?

Launnie has the beer fest on that they’ve been trying to build. Bring it to Devonport Oval! Lol

1 Like

Only if they piss off the Xmas Eve game in Sydney. Shove it in Melbourne.

They’ll never get NYE, locked into Adelaide.

I don’t think the crowd will be interested in being at the cricket at midnight… the early game will work as they can be at home early enough to either go to bed or see in the New Year with a few drinks at home (like I am doing right now!).

Looking further ahead, I think there is a problem with the cricket schedule on Australia Day, January 26. The WBBL final will be played on that day leading into the third day’s play of the day/night test between Australia and Sri Lanka at The Gabba. As of December 31, the Brisbane Heat are second on the ladder, and Perth Scorchers are fourth. If the Heat finish first or second on the ladder and win their semi-final, they will be forced to play the WBBL final at Allan Border Field. If the Scorchers finish first or second on the ladder and win their semi-final, the WBBL final will be at Perth but the start time will be an issue due to three hour difference between Perth and Sydney / Melbourne. If CA insists the match be played before the men’s test, it could mean an early morning start (say 7.30am-8am Perth time) which won’t be ideal for players or fans. I think a possible compromise is to play the WBBL final in the evening, after stumps of the Brisbane test match.

3 Likes

Would they play the final at Carrara given the Heat and Australia have played there this season?

What if it was in Perth?

1 Like

Cam Bancroft’s second game tonight, now that he’s not playing against the Hurricanes I hope he goes alright. A few of my friends happened to be at Launceston Airport when the Scorchers flew out the other day and got a few selfies and signatures. They got one with Bancroft who was looking a bit nervous around there they said, probably not sure what to expect but they shook his hand and wished him luck and said it was all good. Hoping that sort of a reaction from a few more people will help him through the next few games.

I have been watching BBL match between the Renegades and the Strikers held at GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park) in Geelong, and notice that the portable pitch is oriented in the north east-south west direction rather than north-north-east and south-south-west (i.e. parallel to Moorabool Street outside the ground). Any reason why?