Cricket

I think Televison viewers would be big. Not many are ‘out’. It would be the attendances. I couldnt see the Melbourne working for attendances but Adelaide to know get a large crowd no matter the day.

And it would be expensive to host, caterers etc would expect triple time penalty rates etc.

1 Like

If that was going to work I would think a night game rather than a mid afternoon or twilight start would be the only option. From my perspective I’m still doing the family thing until early evenings on Christmas Day. Not that I’d watch anyway given I haven’t watched a ball of Big Bash since the change from state based to franchise based teams (and hardly watched a ball of 20 over cricket full stop since the excitement of the inaugural IPL waned).

MCG seems empty for today’s ODI dead rubber.

1 Like

Some good old fashioned Aussie domination over the three ODIs. This will probably continue through the tests against Pakistan. The potential failings in India will be somewhat muted, as the nation stows away its willows and seams and dusts off its Sherrins and Steedens.

I’ll be there next Saturday, the biggest thing for me would be if the ball is visible, especially in the backdrop of the Gabba seats (multicoloured).

1 Like

The last time Pakistan played the Aussies in a test match in Brisbane was 1999.

2 Australian players made their test debuts that test. One went on to actually captain 6 test matches (winning 4) and arguably changed the role of a wicketkeeper in test cricket. The other had this ditty written about his career defining moment by a band including a man who would be in his place by the end of the summer…

1 Like

I hope the test at the Gabba in QLD will be a good one :slight_smile:

Seeing it’s a day-nighter, I hope the crowds and TV ratings are also very good.

It’ll be a real disappointment if they’re not, especially if the test is close!

I’m tipping a three-day (two-night) low-scoring test, with Australia’s quicks to outgun their South Asian counterparts. The weather looks slightly dodgy for the latter days, anyhow.

1 Like

For the first time three radio stations will cover a cricket test (ABC, Macquarie Radio and Triple M). Which station will you be listening to? I am sticking to the ABC.

1 Like

I’ll give Triple M a go, mainly due to Kerry O’Keefe. Good to see him back commentating cricket.

1 Like

Just tuned into a TV to have a brief look for half an hour (while I could) & sadly the crowd looks very poor…

I know we’ll have to wait and see.

Not as bad as previous years and more will be coming in the night session after work.

And looks like I was right, highest non-Ashes first day test attendance at the Gabba ever!

1 Like

Always a bit harder to get a true sense of the crowd numbers on telly with the Gabba, due to the multi coloured seating.

3 Likes

Maybe that’s why they’re multi-coloured :wink:

2 Likes

Another good outing for Matt Renshaw, and Peter is looking Hanscombe as well. Piggy Smith got another couple of letoffs; amazing how the luck rides with the best.

Yesterday’s play attracted 26,343, highest ever first day crowd for The Gabba outside of an Ashes test match.

2 Likes

Well that’s a much better result than last year, I think CA would be encouraged, but they still need heaps more.

It also beat the highest crowd this year by a couple of thousand (Brisbane vs. Collingwood, AFL Round Eight, 24,000+).

Certainly warm weather and a temporary pool at The Gabba also helped.

Yesterday a Fremantle-based consortium launched a bid to join the Big Bash League. The Fremantle Breeze will play at Fremantle Oval during summer: http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/wa-sport/freo-makes-bold-bid-for-big-bash-league-team-with-fremantle-breeze-20161215-gtbq2f.html
Do you think the bid will succeed?