Cricket

Perhaps but in test matches there is always the philosophy of getting runs on the board. Not many bowl first and if they do they get criticised

They would make the pitch suitable for their bowlers (particularly in the sub continent). Personally blaming the toss for losing away from home is just another pathetic excuse teams come up with to hide their deficiencies, although it is in keeping with modern society (find an excuse for everything).

1 Like

In England and New Zealand itā€™s often advantageous to bowl first; the same could be said of Brisbane, Hobart, and Perth too. I agree that itā€™s a disadvantage to bat last in most circumstances, where the pitch is likely to deteriorate as the game goes on.

1 Like

If they knew that the home side may have to bat 2nd, itā€™s more likely that the 1st day wicket would have a bit more grass on it (though not a greentop) and thus not deteriorate as much as the game goes on. That could create a more even contest, meaning the toss is less important.

Patrick Cummins batting during the 2nd innings was very poor. He scored 28 runs off 121 balls. I find that he was not keeping himself straight whilst batting and that he cant play well.

You do realise he is a bowler and scored more runs than most of Australiaā€™s batsmen right?

1 Like

Usman Khawaja is not doing good. He scored 28 runs in 125 balls. His batting average has deteriorated to the point that he cannot play straight.

What do you mean by play straight?

1 Like

I mean that they need to play well to score runs

I would certainly use the word poor to describe most of Australiaā€™s batting in this test match but not to Pat Cummins. The strike rate is irrelevant in this situation. I thought he showed tremendous application and resolve- exactly what test match batting requires. Think of the dour efforts to save test matches in the past, such as Faf du Plessisā€™s knock on the same ground a few seasons ago. In this instant gratification generation, batting to save a test match has become a lost art.

4 Likes

Apparently the bats they are using for the flip will be engineered so thereā€™s a 50/50 chance to land on either side.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not really what playing with a straight bat means. As others have pointed out, Cummins played his role better than most in the last test.

1 Like

Yes, Australian batsmen tend to be a bit guilty of playing across the line of the ball, and not giving the full face of the bat to the ball.

Pujara was 19 runs off 94 balls in the first innings. I thought he was batting way too slowly for a Test match, Iā€™d consider dropping him for future Tests if India wish to up their scoring rate and bat properly.

1 Like

He was man of the match, the only century maker in the whole Test. Itā€™s pretty hard to criticise his batting.

If you think Iā€™m being anything other than ridiculous with that postā€¦ Thought Iā€™d go the other end of the ā€œCummins canā€™t batā€ argument. I should have added that Pujara didnā€™t bowl, so how does he warrant a spot given how slowly he set out when batting! :hugs:

2 Likes

For about two decades Australia set the benchmark for run scoring in test cricket - 100 a session, 300 a day - that was par.

It was good to watchā€¦ but made for many one-sided, predictable games here at home.

Great to see good old-fashioned leather dominating willow in the Adelaide Test. Hope to see more of the war of attrition over the next three.

As for Usman, sadly he seems to have lost the ability to change gears.

5 Likes

More mud that CA keeps throwing at themselves

1 Like

You would think with their billion dollar deal they could open all stands

Surely itā€™s designed so even just sections could be opened up. Take the MCG, Iā€™d rather sit in the top deck behind the bowlerā€™s arm than it ground level square of the wicket.

1 Like