Cricket

Bellerive Oval is a great ground now too; I was staying a couple of streets away during the week. The viability of top level sport in Tasmania has always been a curly one; the elephant in the room is of course the lack of an AFL team in the Apple Isle.

Australia actually won the game tonight so it will be a good old fashioned decider down at Bellerive.

3 Likes

Aussies were able to conjure up a bit of lost morale tonight.

2 Likes

A solitary win isnā€™t going to bring subscribers to fox for this dud deal where people cannot watch the Australian cricket team.

ok, we get your point, you dont like the deal

5 Likes

Itā€™s almost a case of turn up or bust for Hobart, if they donā€™t come to this game thereā€™s a chance international cricket could be lost to Bellerive. They already lost the test match to Canberra, 20 over internationals have been played in Geelong and now Gold Coast in preference to Hobart, and this is the first time in 3.5 years that theyā€™ve had a 50 over game (and that was against Scotland).

2 Likes

Apparently- according to my Bellerive hosts- Cricket Tasmania used to admit Bellerive locals in for free. It would be a shame to lose international cricket at the venue- itā€™s a unique setting for an Australian ground with Mount Wellington in the background, the Derwent, and pine trees lining the perimeter.

1 Like

Thereā€™s only 5 Tests in Australia after this season, so Tasmania arent getting a Test match anytime.

Used to be better when you could actually see the mountainā€¦

Except they may even get one at the expense of The Gabba given their outdated facilitiesā€¦

Is that set in stone?

1 Like

The ICC Future Tours programme (which I think is up to 2023) suggests it is 5 per summer here. It could change but it would require someone else touring or something changing. Itā€™s as set in stone as anything in international cricket.

Doubtful.

Fair enough, personally I feel our summer is long enough for 6 or 7 tests against two countries some years.

1 Like

This is an interesting match. Didnā€™t expect Australia to fight for this one. Great partnership between Marsh and Stoinis.

Oops, in hindsight, pre January ODI matches especially a pointless three match series never draw huge crowds.

https://twitter.com/MacquarieSport/status/1061559139367710720?s=19

Yet Iā€™m sure those poor crowd figures will be used against Hobart when allocating future internationals.

A non-traditional timeslot, a weakened team and general lower interest in ODI cricket compared to T20 or Tests is going to do that. I donā€™t think you can give Tasmania that type of match, then leave them out of the schedule for years to come for not turning up to it.

South Africa had a 40-run win over Australia in Hobart to win the 3-match ODI series 2-1. The Proteas set up victory with the fourth-wicket partnership of 252 between Faf du Plessis (125) and David Miller (139, his highest ODI score). Needing 321 to win, the home side also lost 3 early wickets, but unlike South Africa, Australiaā€™s biggest partnership was only 107 between Marcus Stoinis and Shaun Marsh, and when Marsh was out for 104 all hopes were gone.
Miller was named player of the match and the series.

Plus the fact that the game is in early November; it was winter like in Hobart this past week and it was still fairly cool today by the looks of things. The Tassie summer really doesnā€™t get going until after Christmas- that and the holiday crowds would make January a much better choice for international matches. The January test against Sri Lanka was given to Canberra instead; I think a two year rotation between Canberra and Hobart is the way to go.

I watched a small bit of the Australia v South Africa Cricket Match on Fox Cricket on my phone and noticed that the percentage of attendance at Bellerive Oval was very low. Under 30% of the capacity was occupied with people around Bellerive Oval. I find this an extremely quiet and dull cricket match on TV. In fact, I think that this was the lowest ever ODI Cricket Attendance in Australia.

Itā€™s not even the lowest ODI crowd at Bellerive