Cricket

So that means the whole Australian team will get a 100% fine because it fell eight overs short.

David Warner- out for 5 runs in 8 balls. I think Warner is losing his form.

2 Likes

but he didn’t even hit it. There was a gap between bat and ball.

Yeah I agree. I saw an image of the shadow and there was a gap

But there was a noise… And it appeared on Ultra Edge just as the ball going past the bat, even though there appeared to be a gap.

But it wasn’t a good shot by Warner, a lack of footwork and he appeared to be reaching for the ball.

Australia though are in a bit of trouble, being all out for 225 leaves them 69 runs behind on the first innings having to bat last on a pitch that is already playing a few tricks with variable bounce and accentuated movement off the wicket.

And Smith has his lowest score of the series… out for 80! He was still the top score though.

So the three dropped catches off Joe Root and Jos Buttler’s 70 runs proved to be the difference as England took the 69-run lead. Australia’s top order failed and it was again up to Labuschagne and Smith to pile on the runs.

1 Like

still if there is a gap between bat and ball its not out. The noise could’ve come from anywhere, even the bat but not bat on ball.

What about when the 3rd umpire reviewed Matthew Wade’s first review. There was a couple of sounds but it seemed like bat on ball but still he managed to go through the ball tracking. Where is Hot Spot when you need it.

Lastly, with Matt Wade’s dismissal no way was that out. It was going down leg side and yet they still give it out. If it was Australia’s review they would’ve given it not out but since its England they would most likely give it out anyway.

1 Like

HawkEye has been a bit dodgy recently if you ask me. Maybe they’ve been editing the ball tracking during the review to benefit the Poms :wink:

Hasn’t been a day yet in this series where 90 overs have been bowled in the allotted 6 hours. Hasn’t been a fine yet.

4 Likes

87 overs were bowled on day 3 with Lyon and Labuschagne contributing one-third.
The day belonged to England despite another batting collapse in session 3. Australia suffered from sloppy bowling and fielding, and the home side’s top order finally fired, with Joe Denly scoring 94 and Ben Stokes chipping in with 67. The lead is 382 runs, and if Australia can dismiss England very early on day 4, they will have most of two days to reach the target of around 400 runs.

2 Likes

Yes, Steve Smith is probably going to have to score another century for Australia to have any chance of chasing down a target of around 400.

And he’ll need to a few others to chip in with at least half centuries.

The odds are against them on a deteriorating wicket however.

1 Like

England beat Australia by 135 runs to win the fifth and final test at The Oval to draw the series 2-2. The top order failed again, Smith and Labuschagne both went cheaply, but Matthew Wade scored 117 to go with his 110 in the first test. The Aussies lost their last four wickets for 19 in the final session.
Jofra Archer was named player of the match for his six wickets in the first innings while Ben Stokes and Steve Smith were both named player of the series. Smith also won the Compton-Miller Medal as the best overall player of the series.
England’s win also marks the end of Aussie Trevor Bayliss’ tenure as national coach. During his four years in the role he mentored England to claim the ICC World Cup at home as well as 27 wins (and 25 losses) in test matches. It will be interesting to see what Bayliss’ next job will be.
The Australian selectors have lots of thinking to do regarding the top order ahead of the home tests against Pakistan in November.

1 Like

I don’t think they will change too much, unless something dramatic happens with Shield form in the lead up to the first Test.

Pakistan have rarely performed well in Tests in Australia, so AUS should win pretty comfortably regardless.

1 Like

Found this interesting tweet on Matthew Wade this morning.

3 Likes

I think Australia’s celebrations in retaining the Urn at Old Trafford also played a part.

It was a bit premature as the job was really only half done.

I think they got a bit carried away eg. jumping all over Channel 9 reporter Tony Jones when he ws trying to do a report, and thus lost focus.

2 Likes

Tim Paine wrote in a guest column in News Corp papers last Wednesday that his team celebrated the test win at Old Trafford but wrapped up very quickly, they were back in the team hotel by midnight and were in London the next day for light training as the team turned the focus to the fifth test.

3 Likes
3 Likes

8.3 million UK viewers watched the Cricket World Cup Final. This was the highest rating program since the 2018 FIFA World Cup: Croatia vs England and the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
2.6 billion people watched the tournament live, making it the 15th highest watched event globally of all time and has shattered the 2015 Cricket World Cup ratings.

3 Likes

Wow, BIG numbers there.

I can only imagine how much higher the numbers might have been had India made the final instead of New Zealand.

1 Like

Paine also wrote in his News Corp column that he would not play for Hobart Hurricanes in the BBL this summer.

4 Likes
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter