Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

Well that isnt a simulcast deal then.

What i was suggesting was a simulcast deal for when Nine News conflicts with a test match outside of the eastern states, like Perth or Birsbane.

Isnā€™t coverage moved to 9gem?

Blame Ten.

well you could say it is. For the rounds that are live on TEN and FOX

I read Fox are very keen on all the rights and having a cricket channel however they imply that itā€™s up to Cricket Australia what they want to do. Fox boasted that they more money to spend than FTA.

for what is worth, on Green and Gold Rugby some commentator has said this:
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/2017-tv-ratings-and-crowd-figures.17347/page-2#post-905082

Its not a simulcast deal. If it was all games would be on Ten and all games on foxtel. Its a Foxtel deal with some matches simulcast on Ten.

Just like the terrible rugby deal. Ten love a shonky sports rights deal of minor sports that no one watches. The rugby is a disaster.

Article in the age today; it mentions fox and nine joint going for BBL. This is the first time I have read that cause all other reports itā€™s Nine by themselves.

4 Likes

Nine Entertainment Co chief executive Hugh Marks has told The Australian that his company will think twice about paying more money for the next broadcast rights, unless it gets greater control over match scheduling and in-game advertising. Conversely, the AFL and the NRL are getting control of match scheduling under their current media deal.
Marks also says a joint bid with Fox Sports for Big Bash League rights is possible.

4 Likes

Analysts at UBS are recommending Nine not bid for the cricket rights as they lose about $40 million per year on the current deal ā€¦ and Ten might not be in a position to bid given their precarious financial situation.

7 Likes

^ This is where Fox Sports will come in and do a simulcast deal with Nine or Ten for all rights. They badly need to the cricket to fill their ratings hole in summer.

What and lose more money like they do with NRL and seven with AFL as viewer numbers come down on their channel? These kind of deals donā€™t work for income from advertisers and the viewing numbers donā€™t add up.

It could also apply to Optus (which currently has replay rights with CA) which is looking to add more sports so it is not all about soccer.

1 Like

Are they losing money? They need to push subscriptions and cricket would give them premium sport all year round.

Nine, seven and ten are losing the money. With ventures of joint board cast rights.

Fox will lose out of Optus get the digital and pay rights, which they going after again.

Ever think this is just Nine dropping stories to lower the price?

6 Likes

Pretty interesting discussion when I was driving to the MCG (well, actually a train station becuse they closed bloody Yarra Park due to rain).

But anyway, 1116 SEN radio were discussing the deal.

They reckon Ten will almost certainly not bid or get the next rights, based on their financial situation and also not being a safe option for CA.

They did say they would love Ten to still have the rights, I mean donā€™t we all, who wants Nine to get BBL.

Personally, I think weā€™ll probably see a joint FTA/Pay TV bid of some form. Perhaps Ten and Foxtel? Or maybe Nine and Optus?

The chances of Seven having any rights to the Summer of Cricket with their substantial commitments to tennis, golf and even horse racing (in the early part of the cricket season): Very slim to none IMO.

Jane Holmes (Telstraā€™s veteran voice-over & Neil Mitchellā€™s program presenter) in her daily TV segment with Neil this morning on 3AW radio, was doscussing the cricket rights, Nine, Ten, etc & @littlegezzybearā€™s UBM article.

Podcast here (scroll to last 10-15min of audio file):
http://www.3aw.com.au/news/3aw-mornings-neil-mitchell-podcasts-20141214-126t1z.htm