Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

I seriously don’t see how Seven could have cricket, even if they chucked a bucket load of money at it?

Because ODIs and potentially T20 Internationals clash with the Australian Open.

Both sports are on main channels.

Seven can just bid for the rights to show test cricket (assuming it always ends with the Sydney test in the first week of January), leaving the ODIs and Twenty20 internationals to other networks. That way, Seven will be able to continue its summer of tennis coverage.

1 Like

True, I didn’t think of it like that.

I wonder if CA are hoping for more or less networks to become partners?

I mean Ten could take the lot or Seven could take tests, it’ll be a very interesting negotiations.

We know Ten are desperate and can’t afford to stuff-up negotiations this time, whilst Nine don’t want to lose their long-running test cricket (and have flagged they will go hard for BBL now too)

1 Like

Nine Entertainment CEO Hugh Marks has told The Australian that his network is keen to bid for all of Cricket Australia’s broadcast rights including the BBL, depending on CA’s plans to expanding the competition. A formal tender process could begin within months.
If Nine does get the BBL rights and it extends into February, then Super Netball will not get the chance to be aired on HD on the main channel for the duration of the current contract, since Nine will prefer BBL matches to be held on Saturday nights.

1 Like

Head of Sport, Tom Malone has the desire to cover all cricket formats saying that ‘Any future deal that we do, We Want Everything. We want Test Matches, We want One Dayers, We want [International] Twenty20s and We want the Big Bash’.

Couldn’t think of anything worse than Channel 9 taking hold of the BBL, particularly if their T20I coverage is anything to go by.

3 Likes

Channel 9 should fuck off and get nothing. Barely anyone wants to see more years of their agonizing coverage.

4 Likes

I think if a simulcast deal(like AFL)Nine/Foxtel deal was done, it could mean that people in the eastern state would not have to worry about Nine News cutting into tests played in Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide anymore.

No simulcasts please… it diminishes the value of the telecast

For who? Surely it works for all parties?

It diminishes the amount of money the free-to-air channel can make from advertising as some of the potential viewers are watching Foxtel instead.

I don’t hate the idea of a simulcast as long as all matches are also shown on free to air. It really has no impact on me.

I would like to see a network try to get a simulcast to some international games.

Sure, but why should us as viewers care?

1 Like

I was responding to your comment: “Surely it works for all parties?”

But how many extra viewers are watching foxtel? Is it really that big of a number not to justify the cost of a simulcast? Surely if you are losing 200k in viewers then rights being 20% cheaper would be a benefit.

1 Like

Fair cop, but it does.
FTA holds on to premium content and can tempt advertisers with the majority of the country which does not have Pay TV.

Pay TV can offer uninterrupted or limited interruption coverage to those willing to play, as well as extras like match replays etc.

Viewers can pick from the two above, as can advertisers.

The rights holder gets two bites of the cherry and exposes their sport to the widest audience of people possible.

5 Likes

If Seven or Nine get BBL… Ten are over as a network :persevere:

1 Like

I wouldn’t go to that extreme but they would surely see a loss in revenue and shares.

1 Like

I just prefer things exclusively. I hate all the simulcast deals. I find it cheap.

1 Like

Just look at the simulcast deals with V8 Supercars and Formula One. Foxtel showed every race and qualifying while Ten could only show a handful of races live.

1 Like