Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

Im not going to repeat myself as i dont think you really understand.

1 Like

Well, the test cricket did good for Ch 9ā€™s first half of the year didnā€™t it :wink:

So what you said doesnā€™t really stack up.

Yes, the BBL worked on Ch 10 (more or less) with Iā€™m A Celebriry lunching to over 1.3m.

And yes the Australian Open always gives Ch 7ā€™s first quarter programming massive ratings/lead-in

(i.e.) MKR

I understand completely.

Whether I agree with your opinion is a seperate issue, which is fine :+1:

All I was saying is, thereā€™s lots of different things for networks to consider with how cricket rates & the ad revenue it brings in.

Yeah well I donā€™t really understand what your point is to be honestā€¦ Day time, primetime it is going to have a niche market which advertisers want. Same with AFL. Same with any sport. But I cannot be bothered trying to explain it to you again.

Yeah, but what other reason does anyone have for watching Nine over the summer, except news?

Sport is the only event which gets eyeballs between November and February. It might not be consistent, but it sure as hell rates higher than repeats and daytime news bulletins.

6 Likes

Opinion piece

The Big Bash League TV rights need to stay with Channel Ten

The BBLā€™s undeniable success has led some media commentators to suggest the rights would now be valued at approximately $60 million a year. If Nine is prepared to fork out dough like that, then Aussie cricket fans have every right to be worried about a looming disaster.

It means more Ian Chappell, more Ian Healy and more Michael Slater than ever before.

2 Likes

Cricket is the number one code in Australia between November and March. Ten should go hard and snatch the rights off Nine.

3 Likes

I think Ten absolutely need to not only keep the BBL, but also try and get the rights to the tests/ODIs that Nine currently have. From a regional perspective, Iā€™m sure WIN Television wouldnā€™t mind getting test/ODI cricket back after only a Summer or two either! :wink:

But on the flipside, it does have to be said that Nine losing the rights to broadcast cricket would be an extremely major blow to the networkā€¦

2 Likes

ā€¦ although not on the same scale as Seven after it lost the AFL broadcast rights in 2001. It fell into a hole without footy and it took the network four years to recover. Nine is more resilient and has other sports (e.g. cycling, netball and potentially A-League) to back up.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think Netball, Cycling, and A-League are in the same league as Cricketā€¦ I think if Nine lost their Cricket rights it would be a disaster. I think they would fall into a massive hole without that as a lead in to their ratings schedule programs (although it hasnā€™t always worked). No one watching over summer for Nine would be a very hard slog to come back from. You look at Seven losing AFL, Ten losing AFL and even Nine losing AFL rights and you notice the massive shift in ratings in all those situations. I would say it would the same if Nine lost the rights.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree. While those sports do have a following, it wouldnā€™t be fair to say that netball, cycling of A-League has anywhere near the same level of popularity as the cricket does during Summer.

If Nine were to lose the rights to broadcast cricket, I think theyā€™d probably become a #3 rating network (at least during Summer, and especially in markets which donā€™t support the NRL as much). Maybe Nine wouldnā€™t do as bad in the ratings as Ten were a few years back, but I still think a loss of cricket would be a major blow to the network.

2 Likes

If Nine lost cricket, NRL would really be the only thing that would save them.

5 Likes

Save them from what?

What do you thinkā€¦ this ā€œholeā€ everyone keeps talking about.

1 Like

Exactly. I think what would happen is that Nine and Ten would be in a close battle to be the #2 network. Nine still having NRL rights means the ratings impact might not be as severe as it was when (in turn) Seven, Nine and Ten lost AFL rights. However, Ten would inherent the solid promotional platform international cricket (let alone maybe retaining the Big Bash) provides to promote programs and push their Q1 schedule. While this would help boost the ratings of some of their programs and help them launch new programs, Nine will find it significantly harder to do both of the aforementioned things by having a ā€˜weakā€™ Summer schedule.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if we got something like Tests on Ten and ODI/T20/Big Bash on Nine - the more profitable formats, while Ten would get more total hours of coverage.

I still think Ten should look to get rights to some of the Australian overseas tours - tours to India, South Africa, etc. Would be good filler on One and boost peopleā€™s perceptions of Ten as a cricket network.

2 Likes

According to DeciderTV Nine has decided not to bid for FTA rights to A-League and instead will concentrate on the next cricket rights. So basically it is all (test/ODI/T20/BBL) or nothing for Nine.
I still doubt Seven is seriously interested in bidding for even test cricket rights. It is doing OK at the moment with golf, Sydney to Hobart yacht race and Magic Millions race day. Is Seven willing to give them up to show up to five days of cricket each week?

1 Like

And just about every article has said fairly clearly that FFA will be holding off on selling the FTA A-league rights until after the cricket rights are resolved, in order to get all the networks at the table.

Start saving the pennies now, even Fox has found Indian rights almost too expensive at times and has had to wait for a last minute reduction to secure the rights.

1 Like

Plus Ten will have to buy the whole package of Indian home games including games not featuring Australia, which Ten wonā€™t broadcast and canā€™t onsell as nobody will want them without the Australian games.

1 Like