Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

Ten’s parent company CBS could show cricket in the US on its CBS Sports Network if they get the rights and expand the game into the States

News Corp reports Nine has surrendered its final bid for the next broadcast rights, and is now on equal footing with rival networks when it comes to negotiations.

3 Likes

Considering how competitive the negotiations are reportedly going to be, that decision could come back to bite Nine in a few months time…

1 Like

Seven aren’t and never have been that interested though?

Who said anything about Seven?

Still plenty of new streaming platforms that could potentially disrupt the deal, not to mention FOX etc.

8 Likes

Of course.

I’d just consider the most competitive to be, when all major players are involved (including the No. 1 network for the past 11 years).

Cricket Australia will not be doing what Tennis Australia did last time, just sign an agreement with their favourite network at a bargain basement price with no other networks getting a look in. I’m sure that it will be a competitive process.

3 Likes

Tennis Australia would be mad to move Tennis from Seven. It would have killed the tournaments ratings and popularity had it swapped networks.

2 Likes

Would be surprised to see Facebook have a crack at the rights.

I thought that virtually all cricket games involving Australia played in Australia are on the anti-siphoning list. Has that changed? If not it puts FTA a the major player in any rights.

1 Like

I don’t think they’ll do that again either, given the scandal and negative publicity that surrounded it.

2 Likes

People are forgetting that the agreement was signed during the exclusive negotiation period Seven had. As such, since TA were happy to enter into a new agreement with them - any other factors such as whether any other network could/would have offered more money were ‘irrelevant’.

Now, the claims about members of the TA board having a conflict of interest when it came to deciding to enter into that new agreement is a separate issue.

As per Part 7 of the Schedule contained in the ‘Broadcasting Services (Events) Notice (No. 1) 2010’, such games are still on the list

1 Like

It’s a nothing story, from a shocking news source - it was written in to the agreement last time around that Nine’s final say on the contract would end with the last contract and it did.

Newsltd just trying it on again, nine knew and know of this information so no big deal. Nine understand that this time round could mean it might miss out on cricket, they knew this the moment the last rights clause was written out of the contract.

It’s great to see a contest between media players for summer sport. :+1:

7 Likes

But surely the closing sentence is true :wink:

The idea of a dedicated cricket channel on Fox Sports appeals greatly to CA ­executives.

2 Likes

What like the one on Optus sport? Again fox and newsltd trying to sell themselves to Australia and sporting bodies through their own media. How did that work for them and ten?

Exactly, CA should let Optus expand on what they can show. Endless replays of 20 year old plus tests is a bit boring.

Last summer they had much more variety. This summer however has been the same Ashes series showing again and again.

Mate who works at fox says they don’t have the money for that at present… though that was a few years ago I asked…

I agree they should… watching Sky Sports Cricket, and Willow TV ( and a latter extent TEN Cricket - Sony Sports Network - Wikipedia ) is freeking brillant.

BTW - have been watching the ashes via BT 2 - refreshing to hear Punter commentate on the cricket.

Willow TV has exclusive rights to cricket in north america, do they not?

They get what everyone else doesn’t bid for. ESPN has some of the world cup and all England Games (via WatchESPN), and NBCSN had a few live Big Bash Games last year (whilst Willow showed the whole tournament).

As an aside, Willow are owned by the Indian Times, who a few years ago had the rights to stream every IPL game on YouTube.