COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

Oh good, common sense would say that’s the case but I hadn’t heard it yet.

Yeah this one is pretty bad - one would hope that at least tonight there is a level of leniency

I dont think is about epidemiology, but more about setting a boundary so people dont take the piss - an hour should give people enough time to get moving and get some outdoors time.

I suspect this is a major driver

Victorians, don’t get truncheoned in the face (if you don’t like the d-word, give this one a wide berth):

3 Likes

This would probably stop any attempts at illegal parties/gatherings, as anyone who’s out of the house is liable to be questioned about what they’re doing (and with fewer people and more cops on the road, the chances of you getting stopped are FAR higher), and there will be no retail outlets which can be used as a legitimate excuse for travel.

3 Likes

State of Disaster to remain in force until 6pm on September 2 - I’m presuming this can be extended if need be similar to what they have done with the State of Emergency to date

I wonder how the Victorian Authorities can enforce the one hour exercise and only having one person from each household leave once a day?

Daniel Andrews acknowledged that they can’t really enforce the one-hour of exercise and hoped that people will follow the rule… although I think we know how that’s worked out in the past. People can’t be trusted which is why we’re in this mess.

6 Likes

We probably should have done this earlier - but no time like the present.

The thread linked below will link to places where you can find/get help if you think you need it - if you’ve got any good links that arent there, shoot me a PM and I’ll get them included

9 Likes

You would hope that we would see a significant impact in 2-3 weeks. If people comply there is no reason we shouldn’t. We should already be seeing the benefit of masks this week but I won’t hold my breathe given how little improvement we’ve had so far.

Surely any employer would be lenient/understanding enough for you to go for exercise or groceries at some point during the day or finish earlier / work later if it’s your only choice. Maybe use your lunch for that.

I get the questioning over why there’s an 8pm-5am curfew but I can almost guarantee night is when a lot of people are breaching rules under dakrkness and where some of these “mystery community transmission” are coming from. The fact that even being outdoors these hours is wrong would deter most.

4 Likes

All states have demonstrated that they are capable of coming together as seen during bushfires and the first Covid wave.
QLD has never been tested in the way Vic is at the moment. They are the state that elects Pauline Hanson, bob katter and Peter Dutton I think they are the state most susceptible to fall victim to an American style personal liberties movement if they were faced with a second wave.

The curfew will affect people who do late shifts the most. They will need to arrive at their workplace earlier and cannot leave until after 5am.

That is 100% incorrect. Stop spreading lies.

14 Likes

Didn’t they say work is allowed during the curfew?

2 Likes

8pm-5am

1. BE AT WORK
  2. TO AND FROM WORK
  3. GIVE CARE

Woolworths/Coles will be closed by 730pm most likely. The staff can stay until 3am and do nightfill.

5 Likes

I respect your right to your views but please there is enough conspiracy theorists on social media without having any on MediaSpy!

Maybe you are in an age group that feels reasonably safe from this pandemic but I am not. I went to a doctor’s appoinment on Friday night, first time out of the house in 17 days. I’ve survived that isolation and will survive this. Don’t know about the virus though? I had a part of a lung removed 11/2 years ago (due to cancer) and I really fear this latest outbreak.

I understand some may feel these changes have been brought in very quickly but the Covidiots need to understand how serious this is and pull their f**king heads in and just STAY HOME!

Police need to arrest those who carry on like the Bunnings person etc. No fines, if they do the wrong thing arrest them!

I have complete faith in our Premier and medical and scientific personnel that this will work.

1 Like

This is incorrect - you are allowed out if its for the purpose of travelling to/from work.

From hereon-in, anyone spreading incorrect information may find themselves on a posting holiday

20 Likes

I like the curfew. That was a big part of the success in Northern Europe and Asia’s responses.

3 Likes

Mate, I’ve left the house a handful of times since March. My partner lives outside of metro Melbourne and is chronically ill, I’ve got relatives in aged care. Don’t know how you got that impression from my posts, but I’m not trying to argue the virus isn’t real.

I question the data because I’m not convinced that some of the decisions being made today will actually help. The lack of transparency from the Premier and the DHHS has been incredibly concerning, and I suspect that’s because they don’t quite have a grasp on just how bad the community transmission has gotten. Hence, I suspect, a curfew and an increased ‘boots on the ground’ focus.

I’m cynical that it will do anything to slow the spread, and hopefully tomorrow’s announcements will put my concerns at ease. Stress and insecurity is the last thing any of us need.

3 Likes

Sure - I’m sure my employer would be lenient - but I’m confident there’s enough crap ones out there to mean there might be crushes in those last few hours of the day before the curfew. Even 9 or 10 pm probably would have helped just smooth that out.

I get the justification - just I worry about the unintended side effects of condensing shopping hours down when trying to achieve distancing.

2 Likes

What if their shift finishes before 5am?

Work is allowed during the curfew.

2 Likes

You didn’t read what I said. Work IS permitted during the curfew and workers are allowed to get to and back home from work during the curfew.

3 Likes