COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

These must be the first new cases since February that were contracted while there are so few restrictions. It will be an interesting test of nsw’s supression strategy. Or will they do what other states & nz do and go hard and early with restrictions?

The next 72hrs will be interesting to see how far this goes.

I don’t think WA and QLD will hold out too long here. Clearly it will grow, who knows how much.

Will screw the airlines over if the others pull the plug again.

Uh oh the borders will close and ruin people’s Christmas plans. You’d think these other states would see how NSW have put out these spot fires before and just let things take course.

1 Like

If there are any big border changes this week it would make a nightmare Christmas for Airlines and a lot of people.

I don’t think there is any reason for alarm yet as NSW has been able to sustain low numbers for some time and get on top of it. However certain states (WA, QLD) won’t hold out long before taking action.

1 Like

I would expect all states to follow aside Vic/SA.

There goes half the airlines capacity overnight. Everyone back on stand down.

You just hope nobody has jumped on a plane and headed to another state infected.

Capacity increases PER-SYD/MEL and vice versa only occurred yesterday despite the border re-opening 8 days ago, it’s apparent that the airlines are either wary to react to border changes or have no interest in adjusting schedules to take people off stand down without waiting for over a week.

Considering the sheer volume of businesses in which NSW has advised individuals to self-isolate if they visited, there’s a huge chance of this. Fingers crossed that we’re lucky.

Apparently the two people in the northern suburbs didn’t self isolate before receiving their results. If true this is beyond ridiculous now. We have been told enough to self isolate.

1 Like

Another 2 cases in Sydney’s northern beaches.

NSW Health has put up several tweets regarding the new cases at Sydney’s Northern Beaches and also the driver carrying air crew, starting with today’s numbers.

Finding additional cases is not necessarily a bad thing, it could close out the loop or make it traceable to the other case at the airport. Let’s hope so as these additional 2 cases were obviously tested before any of the alerts for those areas that came out last night.

The problem NSW Govt might face now is that it’s going to get harder to get people to isolate so close to Christmas. If someone was ay one one of those listed areas, tests negative and then is still asked to isolate for 14 days over Xmas and New Year’s… It’s gonna be a hard ask to get everyone doing that.

1 Like

QLD Govt / Courier M :

The border between Queensland and New South Wales will remain open despite the coronavirus community spread in northern Sydney.

1 Like

I believe they said they will update again also in 24hrs. We do need a bit more time to get a view which direction this is going to go in.

If they can keep a lid on it , say single digits, I think the borders will remain as are.

Depends how how it grows also. Expect a lot of testing in the next 24hrs.

From what they are saying there were no traces in the sewage on Dec 10 so these cases appear to be very recently acquired in the area (rather than have been bubbling under the surface). They likely have links to someone at a bowls club. The additional case that just recently got announced was asymptomatic but came forward after seeing the venue listed, so it’s good that got picked up.

If it’s recent they should be able to wrap the wool around this quickly like NSW have done in the past but I would expect a few more cases in the next day or so.

States should not be considering closing borders unless it becomes anymore widespread. If it’s a cluster in a particular area then we need to expect these and have trust in each states ability to track and trace.

Which is why I Hope this is the new way of handling things, yet to see a state click it’s fingers. Previously it would be almost instantaneously.

It does not take long to uncover how bad a cluster is, a lot of info can be discovered in as little as 72hrs. By all means if its then starting to spiral then sure close the walls.

These clusters are all part of the new normal. Not going away. It seems they have all agreed at national cabinet on an approach, none of this overnight shutting and opening of states without proper investigation.

1 Like

It’s now extended to six people. The latest positive case is an aged care worker.

I can’t wait to find out it’s origin. It just doesn’t make sense. Where could it have come from?

1 Like

I know people in Sydney right now packing their bags and cars and hopping flights fleeing for the border in qld. They fear Anastasia will close it. They just don’t trust her and their shitty nonsense made up policies.

1 Like

I’ve also been speaking to people that were planning to casually drive to Melbourne some time next week before Xmas, but they are now packing their bags to leave after work tomorrow.
Think we can expect an exodus from Sydney in the next 48hrs.

1 Like