COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

I take the tube and train daily. I would say maybe 25% of people wear masks. Less and less every day. Nothing is enforced. The tube is really hot in summer - unbearable.

I canā€™t speak for buses

In supermarkets I would say 30% shops and malls maybe 10%

Airports are the only places there seems to be 100% compliance

I am normally at a lĆ³ndon airport every 2 weeks and Iā€™ve not seen anyone maskless for months

1 Like

And thatā€™s the kind of transition I would expect. Less and less each day as the risks slowly disappear. The point is there is no set date of normal returning. Itā€™s transitional.

1 Like

News coverage is also waning.

Cases are still reported but itā€™s not a headline report or feature anymore. Online on radio or tv.

Effective today if youā€™re vaccinated you no longer have to isolate if you are a close contact. Thatā€™s about 400;000 a week

Vaccinated travelers no longer have to quarantine. We can travel again to Dubai CanadĆ” usa Europe with no quarantine on return. And testing is being phased out.

1 Like

Sounds amazing! Cannot wait for this here!!!

If it ever comesā€¦ the government has said they want 80% fully vaccinated and no country has achieved that yet.

I think weā€™ll hit some headwinds in about 4 weeks

That marks the end of summer in Europe - life heads back indoors in a huge way. And schools go back.

They want 80% of those eligible for a vaccine (at present based on TGA approvals this would be persons over the age of 12) vaccinated, which several countries have achieved (including the UK).

2 Likes

Is that what it is ? 80% of over 12s?

When theyā€™re referring to ā€œeligible populationā€, the definition is anyone that is able to take a vaccine - which in a general sense, based on current TGA approvals (and similar overseas) is anyone over the age of 12, or back-dated to when the plan was announced in July over 16s.

2 Likes

I think it should be a different goal.

Once 100% of people who fall into the groups that account for 95% of deaths (basically 70 and up) have been offered the vaccineā€¦

Lockdowns should end

Guys, I am hoping to travel to Hawaii (I live in LĆ³ndon) to meet my mum for Xmas. Havenā€™t seen her for 2 years now.

Sheā€™s 75 vaccinated lives in QLD

At 70% of eligible aussies vaccinated am I right in understanding she can travel to Hawaii, meet me and swerve hotel quarantine and instead do it at home - if Australia reaches that 70% by the end of the year?

Hopefully weā€™ll be able to reach that so that we can get back to normal and you can also visit your mum :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

No chance in my opinion. International borders wonā€™t reopen until later next year I think.

Is that it - she could do home quarantine at 70% ?
Or is there another complication?

Well whenever it is, December or June - she can travel and do home quarantine at 70% yes? Thatā€™s my question - or is there other restrictions?

I donā€™t think theyā€™ve revealed that far in advance yet?

Not possible to answer the question right now as the information provided at this stage is too vague.

1 Like

Phase B
So what will it take to get to phase B?

70 per cent of the eligible population will need to have received both doses of a coronavirus vaccine

the Prime Minister says ā€œspecial rulesā€ will apply to Australians who are fully vaccinated at this stage, meaning that they will not be subject to some of the restrictions currently imposed on the population.

These ā€œspecial rulesā€ include:

• Introducing new reduced quarantine arrangements for vaccinated residents

@ABC News

What am I missing? @Squee @David

Iā€™m interpreting ā€œreduced quarantine arrangements for vaccinated residentsā€ as home quarantine

Yeah but that would be returning Aussieā€™s right? Not letting people out for a holiday and then returning.

Your question is asking if your mum can go to Hawaii for Xmas? The answer is no. Right now. For all we know we could be at 80 by Dec and they open the international borders but I highly doubt it. Itā€™ll be a slow process I think.

I donā€™t think so, PM called them ā€œvaccinated residentsā€. If youā€™re a returning Aussie youā€™re not a resident.

Also in the same article he talked separately of caps lifting for inbound return travellers and students and economic visas being alllowed in and enjoying the same quarantine arrangements as vaccinated residents (read home quarantine)