COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f9a39397170>

It’s amazing… 13 times the population of Australia, but 1,000 times as many lives lost.

2 Likes

This has to be hands down the most striking New York Times Front Page I have ever seen, really sends out a strong, but sombre message.

2 Likes

My Lord. That is awful seeing it presented like that. China really do need to be held accountable. This is horrendous.

3 Likes

Completely agree, the sad thing is, the front page only represents 1% of American COVID related deaths, you would need 100 pages to show the true extent. :sweat:

1 Like

Agree that China needs to be sanctioned on this but I think the New York Times was really targeting trump in all of this. He needs to be made accountable. The question is can it get any worse over there with the way he’s responded to this.

8 Likes

Good news in Victoria this morning.
Only 1 new case reported in the last 24 hours.

3 Likes

Yes, let’s hope they’ve now traced all of the Cedar Meats and McDonalds cases by now.

1 Like

What’s everyone’s thoughts on our state boarders opening up? When should interstate travel commence?

I personally think it’s understandable that states/territories with no (or very few) active cases of COVID-19 are being cautious by keeping things closed for the time being.

NSW and Victoria are probably jumping the gun somewhat with their easing of restrictions.

2 Likes

I feel for the tourism sector, especially in QLD. I think they have every right to be upset. To keep the borders closed is far too risk averse when there is negligible community transmission. It’s very easy for people to support a ‘take no risks’ approach when it is not their job and livelihood that is at stake. We should have confidence in our good healthcare system that it can handle the crisis, especially with this time to prepare. Life has to go on, can’t stay under the blanket forever.

Also the states with no cases have much lower testing rates and QLD is not doing any randomised testing. There is every chance that community transmission is rampant in other states and we don’t know about it. I feel much safer in a state recording new cases that has good testing vs a state that isn’t recording cases but isn’t looking.

2 Likes

I don’t think NSW and VIC are jumping the gun. Playgrounds, cultural institutions, cinemas, restaurants should have been allowed to reopen as early as last week.

1 Like

I’m thinking a stage process would be good.

Stage 1 SA, WA, NT, commence a travel bubble.
Stage 2 QLD & TAS join the travel bubble.
Stage 3 VIC, NSW & ACT join the travel bubble
Stage 4 Trans Tasman travel bubble commenced with New Zealand & Pacific Islands.

4 Likes

Apparently only one person has been identified having covid-19 from using the CovidSafe app

2 Likes

I feel like Victoria are going around the right way with easing of restrictions by seeing what other states/territories do and see what progress is being made with new cases etc and then deciding that best course of action. If you think about it we seem to be at least two or three weeks behind the others in regards to easing our restrictions.

1 Like

Victoria has just overtaken NSW on the amount of tests conducted. 420k in total.

Only 4 positive test results nationally today.

2 Likes

False, because cases would have presented by now if this alleged community transmission was rampant.
The chance of theoretical community transmission been 100% asymptomatic is pretty much impossible.

This argument was valid 4-6 weeks ago but not now.

5 Likes

Clearly with the extensive and record testing numbers we can see there’s little community transmission which is why they’re relaxing restrictions. It’s going pretty well so far. The state premiers on a whole have done quite well.

4 Likes

We’d have seen evidence by know if that was the case - increased testing helps solidify our position in terms of cases.

5 Likes

Where did you get this from? I have little knowledge about QLD but from what SA are saying at the moment they have the highest test rate in Australia and they are one of the suggested states with no cases.

This is a graph from a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Are any states doing randomised testing? I know most have been encouraging people to get tested (especially if they have any of the symptoms) and i’d imagine there is testing of people who present to hospital for treatment of non-Coronavirus related symptoms.

The test numbers as a percentage of population (like the graph that @turdall) has posted are important - NSW is currently testing ~8000 people a day (based on a 7d average) - that is less the 0.01% of the population of the state, but it adds up over time and we are now statistically significant results.

It’s particularly important in states that dont have new active cases to keep up the testing regime - it’s an important verification

These stats are updated every day: https://infogram.com/1py1xlkg66ymkzc39gd6pll7yytyn0k67rw

3 Likes
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter