COVID-19: Discussion (2022 Onwards)

Victoria will follow NSW, SA and Queensland by removing the compulsory face mask requirement on public transport and rideshare vehicles, effective from 11.59pm tomorrow (Thursday).

About time!

2 Likes

Victoria is well and truly the last state or territory to be removing this requirement.

so people can spread their diseases more, I don’t agree with removing the mask mandate on planes or airports either. That is how viruses circulate.

3 Likes

OnlY 24 hours after other states. Still mandated in Canberra.

1 Like

You can always wear a mask in all these places but when most people have had the opportunity to be vaccinated 4 times it’s time to lift this mandate. I have caught covid 3 times now and this was when masks were mandatory in all these places so I am happy for masks to be removed. And twice it was on a plane.

2 Likes

It’s also the only state that requires a formal medical advice process, which takes time. The rest can change measures in an instant if the minister decides so.

1 Like

Would love to know how many shots that were ordered for this year have been thrown out / otherwise not used because of lack of demand / interest / mandates past the 3rd dose.

Seems to be a hint in a lot of the recent literature, including the linked article about doses that a lot of Novavax has been wasted in particular.

Its a bit hard to know what and how much to order for 2024 when we don’t know how the virus might mutate during 2023… and that there might a be a combo flu/COVID vaccine at some point too.

Seven morning news took live media conference

2 Likes

Ludicrous decision

3 Likes

I think it’s a good decision. The public have had long enough to get vaccinated to protect themselves. It’s about personal responsibility now - if you’ve got lots of symptoms you can (and should) stay home, and if you’re feeling fine then you can go about your business.

5 Likes

The problem for me is, unfortunately, I don’t trust the public to do the right thing.

3 Likes

I’m mixed on this. With the amount of virus circulating there is really no point in keeping any rules and people I think don’t give two hoots anymore regardless of health advice.

However, this could be disastrous for those who are vulnerable being put at risk. The government’s being very ambiguous about how to protect them and it’s confusing.

1 Like

This may all need be restarted again if there is another variant that causes significant hospitalisations and deaths, but let’s hope not.

Well, I guess we’re really living with Covid now, huh…

EDIT: Well, it has made the headlines on BBC Radio 2… definitely big news

The UK have been like this for months, so not really sure it would be that big for the BBC.

1 Like