COVID-19: Darwin Lockdown

NT has recorded one new case of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, a man from the Tanami gold mine who was a close contact of the original case. Chief Minister Michael Gunner said the man left the mine on Friday, June 25, and was transferred to Howard Springs as a high-risk contact. He initially returned a negative test but had tested positive overnight.

Such a click bait article. What fear mongering. The media are terrible.

Yeah how and why would a major network do such an article…

Why am I not surprised.

3 Likes

I wish I hadn’t clicked on it.

Two ICU beds available for Covid treatment.

Source: NT News

18months to sort that out. 18 months!

It can be scaled up if necessary. The AUSMAT team are also based out of Darwin which I presume can provide relief.

The ABC has a similar article, also quoting Michael Gunner as saying that the listing of a new exposure site could potentially extend Greater Darwin’s lockdown.

It’s 1 new exposure site that he visited for a short amount of time. Yes a silly act on him but it’s a quiet corner store on a Sunday afternoon.

I doubt we will see much risk from this. Maybe the employee at the counter, who knows.

The NT only has 20 odd ICU beds

I know but why hasn’t that been invested in during a pandemic? We have seen other countries build temporary covid hospitals, covid wards etc. We are 18 months into a pandemic and it never crossed their minds to invest more in ICU beds?

I think NT is relying too much on Howard Springs.

It’s not as simple as finding a few more beds - maintaining ICU capacity is expensive and if it’s unlikely to be required then it’s not a very good use of resources. We also have a decent ability to surge capacity if necessary.

1 Like

Is it more expensive than the current lockdown?

The Darwin and Alice Springs lockdown ended at 1pm local time today, however new rules will now apply until next Friday, July 9.

1 Like

GREATER Darwin and Katherine will enter a 3-day snap lockdown from 12pm on Monday after a positive Covid-19 case was detected.

Chief Minister Michael Gunner said the postive case is a man in his 30s who travelled to the Territory for legitimate work purposes on Thursday, August 12 after completing 14 days of hotel quarantine in Sydney.

He stayed in Darwin for several days and visited various locations before travelling to Katherine.

Masks must be worn outside the home.

Residents in Greater Darwin and Katherine will only be permitted to leave home for one of the following reasons:

• Medical treatment including coronavirus testing and vaccinations
  • To get essential goods and services
  • For essential work
  • For one hour of exercise within a 5km radius
  • To provide care to people unable to support themselves.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/breaking-emergency-meeting-of-nts-special-covid19-management-team-called/news-story/233a433514171525121c731227da2ae9

Tasmania is declaring Darwin and Katherine as high risk level 2 areas and closing its border to both regions at 4pm AEST today. This means that from that time, anyone who has spent time in the Greater Darwin and Katherine regions will not be permitted to enter Tasmania unless approved as an essential traveller and if approved, they will need to quarantine at a suitable premises for 14 days

1 Like