COVID-19: Brisbane, SEQ and/or QLD Lockdowns

Greater Brisbane (Brisbane, Logan, Redlands, Ipswich, Moreton) will be entering a 3 day lockdown from 6pm tonight to 6pm Monday because of the UK strain of the virus being discovered. Masks mandated if leaving home.

Wow. Did not see this one coming.

2 Likes

Do they have more cases? Or is this still on the back of that one lady?

It is still on the back of that lady cleaner. The Queensland Government is taking precautionary measures. It will also ensure the cricket test at The Gabba can go ahead.

2 Likes

No other community cases found. The lockdown is on the basis of what has happened in the UK with the new strains. The Health Minister said that in that country 38% of all COVID infections had occurred in the last month because it was 70% more contagious.

4 Likes

Seems very excessive.

2 Likes

i’ve been pro-lockdown and pro-hard, early action this whole time but that is ridiculous. There is still a decent chance she wasn’t infectious. Should barely even be considered community transmission. If well trained medical staff that use ppe every day get infected then hotel workers are going to get infected. the system needs to work around that.

3 Likes

Strange move. Usually a hotspot is declared when they are multiple cases across several days.

1 Like

Some details.

i didnt watch the press conference, did Anastasia atleast wait until the test results of the close contacts?

According to The Courier-Mail, anyone who has visited Brisbane since January 2 and has now moved on to other parts of the state or country will also be required to quarantine for the next three days.

This sounds like an absolutely ridiculous overreaction off 1 case. Isolate the contacts and secondary contacts. It’s 1 person who would have only been infectious for very few days… this just shows Qld have no confidence in their own tracking and tracing.

5 Likes

NSW needs to close its borders to QLD now!

We make no apologies for keeping NSW people safe!

I would soooooo love to hear Gladys Berejikilan say that to Palazszcuk.

3 Likes

Wow this is huge. I just want to confirm there is only one case right?

4 Likes

The reason for fast hard lockdown is based on the infected person having the new virus strain imported from the UK, which is 7O% more contagious. Apparently the person has been infectious in the Brisbane community for the last 3-5 days.

So it’s highly likely this is seeding in the community.

5 Likes

There is currently one case - the cleaner. Close contacts have tested negative. Testing began yesterday with one station open overnight.

But because of it being the UK strain the CHO says an outbreak had potential to get out of control, based on what has happened in the UK where 38% of all cases the country has recorded over the course of the pandemic have occurred in just the last month because of the “mutant” strain.

1 Like

I am surprised he supports this.

3 Likes

That’s all but confirming a federal election in 2021 then.

3 Likes

Greater Brisbane has been declared a high risk area by the Tasmanian Government and a hot spot by the NT Government.

NSW deputy premier John Barilaro said this morning it would not happen, however he added that anyone in the state who has been in Greater Brisbane since January 2 must isolate until 7pm EDT Monday, January 11.

3 Likes