Community Radio

5THE FM in Millicent has re-gained a permanent full-time licence. It had previously held a full-time licence until it went off-air in December 2022 due to concerns about the station’s “management and financial capacity to continue providing a service which would meet the needs of the community”. It then returned to air under a TCBL licence in June last year.

https://www.acma.gov.au/articles/2024-05/acma-allocates-community-radio-broadcasting-licence-millicent

2 Likes
3 Likes

Just googling around and reading up on reviews. Nothing more than that though.

1 Like

Was up driving around Kurrajong Heights today and can give you an update on Pulse fm.
They are still broadcasting from the Grass Karts site.

On the western side of Kurrajong Heights on Bells Line of Rd directly under their new site, the council tower, Pulse was suffering from multipath. This confirms it is still coming from Grass Karts on the eastern side of the escapement at Kurrajong Heights. I did see what looked to be new antennas on the council tower, so maybe Pulse fm are still doing their fit out??

3 Likes

I can only hope for better reception (and RDS!) once it’s it’s on air.

The old 2VTR had a great signal up my way, one of the easiest Sydney community stations to receive for me, now it’s a bit the opposite, 2HWK is now one of the hardest to receive.

3 Likes

What region are you listening from?

I’m up towards Newcastle.

Sounds of the Mountains (2TVR) has changed their website address.
Listeners can now find them here:

The address has been updated in our RDS List.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Check out 2HWK 89.9 again now, it looks like they have moved upto their new site. I can report a receivable signal from Katoomba to Bell to Sydney CBD.

3 Likes

Possibly a bit stronger :thinking: , but looks like same stereo encoder from readings & no RDS detected.

4 Likes

Just checked, and definitely better than before! Now getting it indoors in stereo, though with some static. Can still be nulled out to get 2RVR as well.

4 Likes

No real difference in signal at Stanhope Gardens, maybe slightly weaker.

3 Likes

According to their licence, they have a null (50w) toward Sydney (90 degree to 180 degrees).

1 Like

That has always been the case, the old Hawkesbury Radio which use to broadcast from the Burralow Rd site at Kurrajong Heights was so much stronger.
The new site for Pulse fm should be much stronger considering it’s height advantage approx 600m v 550m.

2 Likes

Yes, the Windsor RA1 LAP has never changed since the early 2000s when it was updated, however the way the specs have actually been implemented by the old and new licensee has varied.

2VTR had an omnidirectial (2 bay mixed) antenna system running a 150 watt transmitter with a null toward sydney as a result of the tower at the Axicom/Old Miles Comm tower on Burralow Rd, Whereas Pulse now (to conform with its licenced specs) has a directional antenna system.

2VTR was running about 100 watts towards Sydney (which while higher than allowed, was within the 2 or 3db tolerance specificed in the ABA radio broadcast planning doc).

Pulse has about a 12db null towards sydney, which at their max ERP of 750 watts, puts the radiation toward towards Sydney at around 40 watts.

Windsor RA1 is really just designed to service the Hawkesbury LGA, any reception into ajoining markets is fortuitous and really just a bonus, but cant be guaranteed.

Pulse appear to be following their licenced specs to the letter.

2 Likes

Am DXing outside tonight (in the cold!) and Pulse now has a clear stereo signal outdoors here, maybe not as strong as the old 2VTR signal, but very listenable on the TEF radio.

4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response, interesting the difference in ERP between the two operators, that explains the reception difference I am receiving.

3 Likes

For most of the time I was at “The Hawk”, they were using vertical dipoles running at around 300 watts ERP from memory.

5 Likes