Community Radio

3 Likes

Definitely off air. Was in a good spot for Southern Highlands reception on the car radio today and only 2BL CC.

I wonder if they are gone for good, or will do a 2HHH and come back after they repair / replace their transmitter?

If Music Fm is gone for good will ACMA reissue the licence and invite interested parties to try out???

3 Likes

It has been off the air since around late December or early January. During the time it was off air, I did pick up 92.5 2BL via tropo and 92.6 Coast Invercargill via E-skip back in January. For a while before it was turning on and off constantly. I do hope for the Hawkesbury like plan here although I bet it could go to a narrowcaster such as being used for a 2KY frequency as unless you count 1314 Wollongong, 1017 Sydney or 103.7 Nowra there isn’t a local 2KY frequency down here or maybe 92.5 gets reassigned to Nowra although that would have to require 2UUU Shoalhaven Heads to shut down.

1 Like

Southern Highlands is probably too small for 2 community radio stations anyway, with 107.1 Highland FM seemingly serving the community quite well.

2 Likes

Their website looks a little broken at the top of page , although copyright has been updated to include current 2024 date.

Their FB page’s most recent post was June 20, 2023.

I suspect the station hasn’t been missed by many, given that it’s been dying a slow death in several aspects…

2 Likes

Maybe 92.5 could be used for an Illawarra wide Radio National fm conversion.
They would need to restrict the signal to the north to protect 2BLT Gosford.

2 Likes

Managed to screenshot some of it while it happened but FBi 94.5 went to dead air and has just almost dropped off completely.

RDS captured before it went off

Both the web stream and DAB are dead audio-wise as well.

Funny thing, or not, FBi have an audio backup tape at the FM transmitter site, but a tech has to visit the site & manually turn it on, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of it.

3 Likes

I assume s/he has to press the “play” button?

And then turn the cassette tape over every 45 minutes!

:grin:

Been out most of the day.
Back on with programming now at 1900hrs AEDST

106.9 VOX FM are turning 40. As part of the celebrations they have weekly prizes to be won, listeners just have to listen for an opportunity to win.
I haven’t discovered any further details as yet…

3 Likes

Hard to see that Bridge FM could get any stronger - image from nth facing antenna.

3 Likes

Do they have their RDS yet? Was thinking of calling and offering my services

3 Likes

CBAA:

Vale Chris Cobcroft

We’re saddened to hear of Chris Cobcroft’s passing after a long illness. Chris was a long time contributor to the Community Radio Network (CRN), an award winning presenter and most importantly a beloved member of his 4ZZZ community.

Chris was a key figure at 4ZZZ and the CRN, where his New Releases Show won a 2022 CBAA Award for its contribution to Australian music. His program, known for narrative-style interviews and deep dives into new Australian and international music, became a platform for many 4ZZZ volunteers.

As the former Music Coordinator for 4ZZZ, Chris played a pivotal role in championing diverse Australian music. His legacy is marked by his commitment to the community and his ability to bring people together through the power of music.

In his memory, 4ZZZ will air a special featuring some of Chris’s standout music reviews, with CRN set to rebroadcast this tribute in Extras next week. Chris’s influence on community broadcasting and Australian music leaves a lasting legacy that will continue to inspire.

We want to pass on our condolences to Chris’ friends, family and the team at 4ZZZ.

1 Like

I was down on the Central Coast over the weekend and saw a bus with 96.3 Coast FM advertising on it, which was great to see, also I was listening to 97.3 Lake Macquarie FM and it sounded like the bass had been cut out, very tinny sounding.

4 Likes

And that it’s still in mono, and has been for years.

1 Like

3ZZZ 92.3 FM off air, and the ACMA website shows they have a standby transmitter. Ouch.

They’re intermittently on air, as heard with this recording. Would be interesting to know from a technical standpoint what’s going wrong.

3 Likes

Power outage at the transmitter site.

4 Likes

Not a problem at all. 3ZZZ is finally living up to its callsign and is catching up on some much needed shuteye.

images (2)

1 Like