Community Radio

SWR gets into Fairfield slightly better then 2GLF. Problem is 2GLF is only at 80W from a low site at Mt Pritchard v 50W in the direction of Fairfield from Horsley Park at 150m ASL. SWR is going to have better coverage.

3 Likes

Two questions of absolute curiosity,

a:) with 2GLF, just wondering what happened to that Smithy guy who used to present the Saturday Night Hot Mix. I was able to get it for a short time when living in a unit between 2002 and 2005, but since living where I am now, 2GLF has been completely off the dial. Spose I could have tuned in via internet streaming, but just never really thought of it. I vaguely remember Smith doing that show in 1988 when picking up that station in Leura, so he’d been doing it for a while, but I guess with many of the community stations there’s both organisational and staff changes, so I guess they would have been a mass format / program change at some point?

b:) Done some digging around with the Hawkesbury situation regarding WHCR and Hawkesbury GOld. Seems to be a lot of news regarding both stations from about October November 2017 and a bit from 2018, but nothing on the net about them now. To what I can ascertain, both stations are still on TCBLs still vying for a permanent license, four years, and still aspirants, that seems to be a very long time for ACMA to make a decision, unless I’ve missed something? :slight_smile: Can’t find anything on ACMA making any final decisions yet?

3 Likes

They need to prove their capacity as permanent broadcasters and none have met the criteria yet.

1 Like

Smithy is now based in Melbourne and presents on 97.9 FM in Melton. I used to work with him when he was at Hawkesbury Radio as well.

2 Likes

Sadly I’m well out of RIMshot of that signal (and I think you are too, @anonymousbroadcaster).

1 Like

Yep, just saw on their facebook that their TCBL has been extended to the 5th Sep. I spose one of the major planks of the capacity is a core membership, and with two stations in existance, they’ll be having a hard time. I guess anyone familiar with astronomy, it’s like two supernova stars close together forever sucking energy off each other. ACMA will have to draw the line one day, it’ll be interesting to note what exactly they are looking for.

Apparently doing a show on Sunday evenings at 6:00, will tune in next week. remember him being a die hard vinyl junkie, when talking to him once on the phone around 2003.

2 Likes

2bcr FM on 100.9 FM is playing a lot of 60s tonight. Not sure if it is the normal format. The FM audio quality is pretty good, the online stream is excellent although only from the website. No radio app seems to have a working stream. It’s a good alternative for 2ch fans with good old rock n roll. Anyway I might tune in from time to time. I always thought it was predominantly a foreign language station.

Your understanding of the departures of the CEO and CD at 4FRB in 2016 is very limited. You propose that the board wanted a programming share arrangement with Hope so they got rid of these two people. Is that what you’re saying - can you provide more detail on that?

1 Like

Who was responsible for the 'very poor decision making"?

You write interesting stuff - two years on, what’s the situation at Bay FM 100.3?

It sounds like 2SER’s transmitter has gone kaput again.
A very distorted mono signal being received again, just like when they got struck by lightning recently.

3 Likes

TCBL community broadcaster Peak Hill FM 89.5 FM (NSW) seams to have recently changed it’s name to Silo FM.

1 Like

A little too close to my own Sumo FM!

2 Likes

2 Likes

They’ve had that name now for a few years I think, I remember seeing something about that a while back.

1 Like

Interesting that they are using the same frequency as ZOO FM in Wellington which is only 70 kms away as the crow flies. Though both are low power, but unusual for that to happen in a regional area.

2 Likes

I wondered how Peak Hill and Wellington could get away with it, but there’s a substantial range between the two so there’s no interference. Both 2ZOO/t and Silo FM have fairly poor coverage also.

3 Likes

Driven through there not so long ago and never realised the Wellington relay existed! Binjang on 91.5 was far more interesting anyway when in Wellington, and its coverage isn’t too bad right across the region.

Very true in saying TAFKA Peak Hill FM does not get out far from town, which I always find a bit sad for stations based in rural areas as surely a good chunk of the population lives outside the township area and would benefit from better coverage.

2 Likes

Yeah Binjang gets out quite well, receivable at Gulgong and I think as far east as halfway between Bathurst and Orange.

3 Likes

Audio is back to normal now :slight_smile:

3 Likes
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter