Community Radio

Some one in ACMA must be able to understand Russian otherwise how would they know? A listener wouldn’t tell them because he would believe it was the truth.

They barely do anything over there… no one even announces who they are… what is their motivation to keep on with the same Charade after finding themselves in some trouble with their license breach situation… it will be interesting when the 6th rolls around that for sure.

1 Like

There would be plenty of dual English-Russian language speakers who don’t rely on just ZZZ as a source of news. They would realise from the Australian media what was untrue. Many would probably be anti-Putin and wanting to shut down potential propaganda.

1 Like

Thanks @TV.Cynic, appreciate as always.

i’m somewhat fluent in russian and as a native english speaker i certanlyl wouldn’t get my news just from russian languge newspapers or podcasts.

4 Likes

Very curious to get your thoughts on what gap it is they should target @crankymedia

I’ll admit it’s a hard sell doing what they do on AM, but even compared to the sub-metros it’s easy to forget they exist sometimes. Even when I do think to flick bands I seldom go north of 1116.

2 Likes

what made ABA, or ACMA or whoever it was then, think it was good sense to put a youth station on AM

5 Likes

They were lucky to get a community license at all. Sydney and Melbourne missed out on a community dance station largely because the ABA heard Nova’s concerns, as they had just paid a bucket load of money on their new FM stations, targeting the under 40s. I can understand their position.

2 Likes

There were only 5 FM Brisbane - wide community stations, and in 2001 the remaining frequencies were given to multicultural (98.1) and Christian (96.5) communities, so AM was a good consolation for Switch, especially now that they are on DAB.

1 Like

Hang on, 4MBS and ZZZ original FM community licences.

4AAA added in the 90’s, pre BSA legacy.

4EB given an FM conversion by ABA in 2001 LAP. Been around since the 70’s on various AM frequencies.

96.5 Family FM given the new FM community licence in 2001 LAP as ABA lobbied hard by MPs and other influential types keen to see god power triumph and also to reduce any competitive impact to commercial stations.

Hence why Wild didn’t get the Brisbane licence, the more stereotypical community looking Switch did yet on AM, the former 4GG frequency and the rest is history.

3 Likes

Sure thing @tamago_otoko, there’s a diverse range of music genres inadequately served by commercials, 4ZZZ or JJJ.

Add in connections with uni journalism of the three Brisbane unis and the radio degree offered by USQ Springfield within the licence area to provide content and you could have a winning formula to serve the youth demo, make a big dent in the 10-17, 18-24 and <30 surveyed station demos.

Station needs a lot more organisation and professional approach than present.

What’s your thoughts @tamago_otoko ? @Brianc68 , @TV.Cynic, @Karen_Cee1, what are your ideas? Anyone else local?

4 Likes

Great thoughts. I like the idea of tying it into a local uni - not a campus station as such, but giving those studying to go into the media a vehicle with which to rehearse for the big time. SYN in Melbourne is probably a good comparable example with its links to RMIT.

I still think being stuck on AM is a significant limitation for a station working in that space. Of course in a perfect world, 4EB could have stayed on AM and a wider-appeal music-based community station would have taken the FM frequency, which would have given Brisbane listeners better options. But of course that didn’t suit the commercial competitors.

Brisbane is, in my view, rather poorly served by community stations when compared to Sydney or Melbourne. Bridge, Bay and 101FM all play in a relatively similar space that’s fairly mainstream, and Brisbane City itself doesn’t have any local-area community stations like the other two capitals do. It’s our loss that we don’t too. You are right though that Switch, with a decent-powered licence, could do well to fill a bit of that void.

5 Likes

Re-posting what I said over on the Super Radio Network Thread

In my opinion that was when it failed the most, It went from the vibrant switch1197 to the dull and boring Brisbane Youth Radio with the heart that was switch cut out.

During that time websites were lost graphics and studios disappeared and it basically shut down.

I’m not however saying the current version of switch is any better, its nothing more then a name sake but still as lifeless as Brisbane Youth Radio.

They should really have a look at how Fresh927, Radio Metro or even Kiss FM Melbourne do things in connection with the community and take that to switch, add a bit of investment with a on-air/digital refresh and you will have a humming youth station.

PS.
Maybe the owner/manager should stop channeling funds into Switch FM (buying more frequencies and studios for that) and invest in switch1197.
(Yes its the same people…)

5 Likes

I tried to get involved with switch. I’d finished producing a show on 96.5. I’d also done some fill in shifts as well.

I contacted switch about it and was told about mandatory training that i needed to do, that only ran during working hours. I was just getting my feet in at my new (non radio related) job and i knew they were worried i was going to drop everything and go back to radio. i couldn’t just ask for time off for mandatory training so i never bothered, which is a shame as i loved my time on air on 96.5

4 Likes

So frustrating to read @Tejas57 and yet all too common, you’ve had experience in Brisbane, so what’s your thoughts on what format should be on the licence?

i like the idea of a youth focused station - i feel like it could be a real useful format if done right. the things i would do if i was in charge is have a show on each evening focused on different youth topics - health / sexuality (including one focused on LGBT+), law and legal issues, finance (and centrelink) and events in the news. each would be interactive where youth could call in and ask questions. hell have a video game / movie review show

You could have guests from the QPS, centrelink, caxton legal service etc come in and talk to the youth. BCC could come in just before school holidays and talk about the various events they have on to keep the youth occupied.

in conjuction we would work to get the name out there. high schools, unis and youth focused events would be where i would be focusing.

playing a bit of doof doof is not serving the youth - its just playing music. you need to empower the youth and give them info.

4 Likes

Was waiting for a comment like this and thought it may have come from you… and I was right :grin:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:
No throwing of shade meant, just from an outside observer view, that’s what it looked like.
I’m sure the politics around that time at Switch was quite extensive (I know what Community Radio politics are like).

2 Likes

As someone that has watched from down the road and running TCBLS from 1994 to 2001 on the Gold Coast as 95.7 Hot Fm | Hott FM | Station X. I would like to say alot of what is said here is true. But leaves a lot to be ASSUMED. We all know about that saying.

As someone that has slept with one eye (or ear) open waiting for faults with your baby. Plus having the lazy few (often the most roudy) derail the valiant efforts of the quiet majority. The whole concept of Community Radio can take a long walk off a short plank… As far as I’m concerned. Never again unless my name is on the license! Period!!!

That being said, I’m not sure the exact time line mentioned here is correct. The so called “people back in charge” would be mostly those from the TCBL days (the original dream holders). Not the early days of “full time AM on 1197”. I know the story behind “the current president’s” return. I know why he did it. Both are VERY honourable reasons!!! I know what the end conclusion is… But never in a million years would I do it, as mentioned above.

Making comparsions to Radio Metro is a dangerous idea. They are more Narrowcast and should be on a HPON… Don’t get me started on that! I’ve suggested Fresh should be watched as an example (I got canned). The big thing that is totally different today is a youth audience doesn’t associate with Vintage Media (this includes FM) plus DAB. With the main excuse being - why would I buy a new DAB radio when i have all my music on my ph? With podcasting being seen as the way of the future. This to me is a massive giggle as i call podcasting “bite size radio”. But the bottom line is - this makes streaming and podcasting way more important than they once were. I’ve pushed this.

I’ve sat in on zoom meetings and paid attention to everyone’s reactions and who does all the talking… No prize for guessing who that is :wink: I leave thinking, yep back on track with the original dream. But is this the right track - for today? Is this the team to pull it out of the 20+ years of FUNK it’s created around Brissy? No! Oh hell no!!!

As for funds going to “other interests” better be careful. Apparently I own a whole island in the pacific somewhere with the money I stole from 95.7 Hot FM… Boomtish! :wink:

5 Likes

Gday Mr. X, nice to have you on here. I enjoy your online station.

4 Likes