Community Radio

… bye Artie … and welcome to retirement :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

He’s just taken on more announcing at 3mFM.

6 Likes

I think maybe 1983, Mike Jefferies worked the 9am to midday morning shift before George Moore philled that slot in early 1984. Uh, such wonderful days, I get very sentimental everytime someone mentions the early 80s incarnation of 2Day, before they started going weird in 1987.

5 Likes

It would be great to listen to that recording @dxer2_2000 :slight_smile:. I didn’t like how 2day FM went through a period where they were against playing 60s music in the 80s :slight_smile:. I recall they said 60s did not sound on FM, they wanted to sound “modern”. This was in early to mid 80s. I loves 60s music as a kid. They felt like a Smooth FM back then, but more modern. https://youtu.be/YbbCThFnzh8… This may bring some memories. They just produce radio stations jingles like this these days.

Imagine now an FM station like Smooth FM said they were against playing anything from 00 to 10s :slight_smile:, way too old…

2 Likes

Now that you mentioned that, I vaguely remember something happening along those lines.

Perhaps that’s the reason why I loved 2day. From 1980 to 1986 ( I was about 12 years to 18 years in age), it felt good listening to a modern playlist, that still had around about 5,000 to 6,000 songs in the library, but at the same time didn’t sound prehistoric. Most of their playlist (85% to 90%) would have been from the 1975 to 1985 period, radio wise absolute heaven.

You would have loved 2Day when they changed formats in 1987, George Moore and another boomer kind of a guy had more influence in the station. In January 1987 they started playing the “Classic Hours”, nothing but 50s 60s and early 70s, basically nothing after 1973. They would have one of these hours every three to four hours.

As an 18 year old I found them as bored as watching paint dry. Much of the music would eventually fall into the main playlist by April May 1987, and my June 1987, 2Day were pretty much taking 1224 2WS head on.

However the 50s 60s early 70s that 2Day played would have been more… wait for it… an album orientated rock format, which I hated with real distane. One could only hear so much Rolling Stones, Beatles, Manfred Mann, Easy Beats, Animals, Beach Boys, Cream, Doors, Joe Cocker, Carole King, Led Zeppelin, and so forth.

I was an 18 year old, who was into Rick Astley, Bananarama, Wawa Nee, Pseudo Echo, Wham, Paul Young, Dead or Alive, Human League, Time bandits, Laura Branigan, Erasure, Eurythmics, Lionel Richie, Irene Cara, Madonna, and by 1987, 2Day was becoming a million miles away from this kind of stuff.

1986 to 1987 was a real point of difference for how a great station turned to mush, this became the catalyst for virtually every station in the country at the time to turn into a “Hits and Memories” format, 60s 70s to now, to hell with the early mid 80s.

So by 1987, many stations would play a
current song,
60s,
70s,
current song,
70s,
60s,
current song,
70s,
60s,
early 80s song (usually a #1 or some overplayed cliche,
current song,
70s,
60s,
probably another song from the early mid 80s, a #1 cliche again,
70s,
current song.
And that would pretty much round out your hour.

During late 1987 through 1988 into early 1989, 2Day FM became a total mish mash of baby boomer rock mixed with top 40, and nobody or anyone could make head or tail on what the hell they were doing, or what market they were trying to break into. They must have given Don McLean’s “American pie” about one million spins that year… Oh uggggghhhh!

Early 1989, Austereo bought 2Day and melbourne’s fox), and from 1st Jul 1989, 2Day then turned into a fully blown top 40 station, with around 100 songs in the playlist. First announcers on the new top 40 format included Nick Bennett, Keith Williams, Mike hammond, Tony Harpnie (spelling), Jamie Angie, and John Bell, with Debbie Elsworth Reading the morning news. By now the station was in complete shambles, and it was nothing like it once was a few short years earlier, didn’t take too long to completely gutter this once great station.

3 Likes

Not long after that though it became the powerhouse it is today as a top 40 station.

I hear the PD from that era has now moved to Geelong.

I never got to hear 2DAY FM’s original west coast/MOR incarnation so any airchecks from that era are appreciated. The 2DAY FM I knew growing up was the Top 40 powerhouse of the 1990s, which suited me fine in primary school. But even by Year 2 (1994) I was looking for other options and starting to get into DXing- this lead me to One FM, i98 and Power FM Nowra.

We are in the community radio thread so I’ll conclude this diversion on the note that it is still possible to find laid back 80s style presentation…just not on commercial radio. It’s what I’ll be aiming for with my programme.

3 Likes

Listening to community radio can be an interesting experience.

Today listening to university radio station 2SER’s 8.30am news I learnt a new word.
Apparently Woolworths at Balmain has been “decleaned”. (ref COVID19 infected staff member).
And this is a university station folks!
Mmm…I think the correct choice of word should have been either disinfected, cleaned or sanitised etc.

So much for the education system these days…

Still on the subject of 2SER; I heard recently that the station is now fully funded from donations for the replacement of their transmission antenna.

4 Likes

they should have said deep cleaned

2 Likes

Now that makes sense.
Looks like ‘ep’ didn’t get enunciated :smile:

1 Like

well maybe the news editor or the reader/journalist didnt listen to any press confrences. even i would have said decleaned till i started watching the vic press confrences and found out its deep cleaned

1 Like

Decleaned would mean making the area dirty.

2 Likes

Is Geoff Field ex 2DAY involved with mentoring SER news volunteers? Or am I thinking of his own classes? If the former, perhaps let him know.

Someone might like to let the Hawksbury Gold technician/staff that they have an audio problem with their FM transmission on 89.9 - severe audio disruption.

2 Likes

2BBB Bellingen is resuming live operations from tomorrow for the first time in nearly four months. This means that Media Spy favourite The Mechie Show will be returning in its usual time slot.

5 Likes

That’s great news!

COAST’S AWARD-WINNING COUNTRY RADIO STATION SEEKS NEW HOME

The Central Coast’s highly successful Country Music station todayscountry94one is seeking a new home and has launched a GoFundMe campaign to cover the cost of the relocation and new broadcast infrastructure.

The station has traditionally broadcast from Central Coast Leagues Club; however the Club is about to undergo a major redevelopment and the station will be forced to vacate by the end of 2020.

The station is Australia’s leading Country Music broadcaster with a massive national and international following. It is run entirely by a volunteer staff of Country music devotees and has won many national awards.

The move means the todayscountry94one will need to find new premises and set up two new studios costing around $90,000 by December.

Bad time to be requesting funds.
Only $2000 raised of $36000 over 4 months thus far.

https://todayscountry94one.com/

2 Likes

Horrible news for Seymour FM

Read yesterday’s post.

3 Likes

That’s every tech’s fear with broadcast sites often in fairly isolated areas. However who’s stealing broadcast gear - yes, it costs a lot to purchase, there’d be little to no market for the stolen gear. There’s only so many licenced broadcasters and none was even entertain the though of using dodgy gear. Pirates maybe? Or just dick heads who don’t even know what they’ve got?

3 Likes

I’ve only just came across this from ACMA:
Changes to Queanbeyan Community Radio licence - 08 April 2020

2QBN has been under a TCBL licence since 8th April, which is effective for 12 months, meaning that it will expire in April 2021.

4 Likes
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter