Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Down the end of Dick Ward Dr?

That actually looks like a legit fog. Usually Canberra collectively sniggers whenever the Sydney news bangs on about fog that reduces visibility to 1km or something.

1 Like

3 days of fog in Brisbane this week - planes even diverted to Vanuatu

Can they also divert my daily Translink bus to Vanuatu on foggy days?

Does it originate in LA?

6 Likes

Lovely weather in North QLD lately.

Winter has finally arrived.
8.9Ā°C recorded this morning at the Townsville airport in the city, and down around 6Ā°C at my place in the western suburbs.

The BOM prediction was for 12Ā°C for the city, but as always, it was colder than they forecast.
Forecast for tomorrow morning for the city is 9Ā°C with ā€œPossible early morning frost.ā€ written in for the area forecast, so itā€™s looking like itā€™s going to be a lovely morning!

3 Likes

Enjoy that whilst it lasts!

It doesnā€™t stay cool for long up there.

2 Likes

For the ā€œWhat a difference 24 hours makesā€ filesā€¦

Yesterday, Sydney had itā€™s warmest July day on record (breaking the previous July maximum temperature record which was set in 1990) with maximum temperatures in the mid-high twenties.

Right now, itā€™s only hovering around 11-12 degrees! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

It looks like Perth will have the most rainy days this July.

Itā€™s raining, wet and cold. Winter has come

Meanwhile here in Sydney, Spring is well and truly knocking at the door with mostly fine days and temperatures hovering around the low-mid 20s for the rest of the week.

Itā€™s been a rather odd Winter, we havenā€™t had many major rain events or East Coast Lows so far!

1 Like

One of the only things I envy about Sydney. Your weather is amazing!

1 Like

Except that summers up here are pretty humid now.

That is so true. Itā€™s gotten to the point where I want to move away from Sydney & surrounding areas for somewhere cooler & less humid such as Canberra, Melbourne or Tasmania. Sydney doesnā€™t really have a real 4-season climate anymore, in which itā€™s more closer to Brisbaneā€™s than to Melbourneā€™s.

3 Likes

Yes I agree.

I prefer Melbourneā€™s weather to Brisbaneā€™s.

1 Like

With very little rain over Sydneyā€™s winter months this year weā€™re looking at similarities of 2013ā€¦ come October we could be looking at another horrendous Bushfire seasonā€¦ only time will tell.

2 Likes

Brisbaneā€™s weather is sunny but shithouse. Too warm during the day to wear a jumper, but too cold in the early morning to leave the house without one. Annoying.

2 Likes

Reports on a cold snap affecting Victoria and Tasmania in July 1986.

1 Like

In my first thirty years of life I can only ever remember seeing snow on the North West Coast of Tassie once, in 1994 where it briefly fell but failed to settle.

We have now had 3 consecutive years which is so strange. August 2015 was everywhere and settled across many areas inlcuding the highway from Devonport to Launceston, last year wasnā€™t as much but there were a couple of instances and today it fell briefly without settling at lunchtime and a couple of times already tonight with more expected overnight and tomorrow. Expecting a very white Tasmania in the morning, not sure how it will compare to 2015 but I reckon some places will really cop it. The list of road closures on the Tas Police site is growing and will get quite large for a while tomorrow I reckon.

1 Like

Climate change. But donā€™t let the non-believers out there hear this. The weather is getting far more unsettled as every year passes.

With a mostly dry period in large parts of the state again this year, particularly in the South (and this despite the heavy deluge the North copped just over a year ago too), Iā€™m anticipating there will be an extreme summer period coming up this season for not only Tassie but for much of Australia.

For those interested, hereā€™s a few clips with local coverage of the massive snow dump of August 2015:

2 Likes