Climate, Weather and Emergencies

It felt like summer today and still really warm outside tonight.

Last night Brisbane recorded its hottest winter night ever with a minimum temperature of 19.4 degrees.

1 Like

Living in the SE suburbs of Melbourne and the power went out for a couple of hours due to the strong winds today!

1 Like

Wowzers! Talk about the Sunshine State in winter! :sunny:️

Sydney’s northern beaches weather is cooler today. Better than Fridays! But not any better tomorrow. Fire danger is monderate.

Two days of big thunderstorms in SEQ on the weekend. Yesterday’s there was horizontal rain with hail stones, but the storm cell was so localised that the sun could be just seen through the rain on the western horizon.

This was the top wind gust recorded with home weather station

According to CM

Gusts of 157km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 cyclone, were recorded at the airport, where trees, runway equipment and even small planes were sent flying.

Traffic helicopters this morning showed shipping containers at the port
https://twitter.com/Olympia_CK/status/797912228150145024

Yeah we’ve had it bad in Melbourne as well. I kept waking up last night hearing constant massive wind gusts and it must have rained all night. We really havn’t had much of a spring at all. Supposedly meant to be 28 on Thurs and 30 on Friday but then as usual drops off a bit for the weekend.

1 Like

Scorcher across VIC today!

Hottest November day in 4 years, hottest start to November since late 2010.

November starts on the 21st now?

8 Likes

Melbourne weather report that l read earlier today said we are suppose to have our hottest November day in four years.:scream:

Do we think it will actually hit 38 degrees though? It’s hovering around 31 at the moment and I thought it felt warmer outside yesterday afternoon. The sun isn’t even out in the city but it does have that humid feel. Unless it ramps up real soon I think the cool change might come a tad earlier than they expected. Sadly the rest of the week is looking very average.

Oh Luke! :joy:

It has been absolutely bizarre weather in Melbourne since Christmas Day which was around about 40 degrees. It’s been very humid since then with torrential rain ruining the test match, reminding me of weather seen in the tropics! Thankfully it looks like good weather will return as we head into 2017!

We are having some unseasonably warm nights in the Sydney region at the moment.

Overnight minimums didn’t get below 23 degrees on Wednesday night, and are not expected to get below 24 until next year…

Only saving grace is that Thursday wasn’t quite as hot as forecast eg. Penrith was forecast to hit 42 yesterday, max was “only” 40.6

1 Like

Hey Melbourne,
Thanks for the weather swap,
We’ve had a change of heart.
We’re thinking of keeping it for now.

Cheers,
Perth

3 Likes

Hey Perth,

I have bad news for you.

We are sending you two of our recent 38 degree days as a New Years present for you.

You should expect them to arrive on Monday and Tuesday.

From NSW

3 Likes

Yes after about 7-8 years of consistently above average temperatures in each summer month, some pleasant, average weather this December in Perth. Has been great.

Weather always used to follow the current pattern - very low humidity, a hot day or two followed by a cool change and then a gradual warming trend. Instead the last few years we’ve had weeks at a time of high humidity and/or temps in the mid 30s.

In Newcastle, this summer (so far) hasn’t been as humid as some of recent summers we’ve had.Which has been nice in that regard.

But it’s certainly been drier and hotter than most summers. It is supposed to stay that way apparently, and to be the hottest on record (but then they always seem to say that, I suppose that’s global warming for you).

[quote=“Radiohead, post:78, topic:199, full:true”]
In Newcastle, this summer (so far) hasn’t been as humid as some of recent summers we’ve had.Which has been nice in that regard.

But it’s certainly been drier and hotter than most summers. It is supposed to stay that way apparently, and to be the hottest on record (but then they always seem to say that, I suppose that’s global warming for you).[/quote]…Just don’t tell Tony Abbott this OK. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow what an amazing weekend of weather we had in Melbourne. I got to the beach Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Love summer!

1 Like