Climate, Weather and Emergencies

I heard on 10 News First that Michael Schultz saying that there was raised dust in Perth. This has happened for the first time in its history. Tomorrow the forecast will be dust in the morning followed by rain. I’ve never ever seen a dusty weather in Perth in my whole life.

1 Like

It’s not pleasant.

Shut your doors and windows.

And be prepared to wash your car.

3 Likes

lol, not by a long shot.

Are you sure that it hasn’t been really windy during a dry spell? You would have, it just wouldn’t have been so overtly forecast as such.

1 Like

Yesterday, Perth was very windy and cloudy with altostratus clouds hovering across the metro area. However, the dew point had negative figures. Today, the humidity was very low, despite lots of clouds around Perth.

I haven’t seen the dust in a forecast before but I haven’t really looked for that either. I remember the surprise a few years ago though when the BoM issued a Tornado warning in Tasmania, I think it was also in the forecast as well. I’d seen severe thunderstorm warnings but it was the first time I’d seen a Tornado warning in Australia.

What do people think of the climate of Canberra?

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere before, my partner and I both like the cold weather and are starting to look into moving south from NQ in the not too distant future, as we’re sick of the constant heat and humidity up here. Currently our main considerations are Toowoomba and Canberra.

We’ve booked a holiday to Canberra in a few weeks time to check the place out, just wondering what others think of the weather down there :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would have thought that parts of Cairns saw cooler than average temperatures in June with maximums in the low to mid 20s. But still, Cairns is a good time to go in June as the temperature is less humid.
Toowoomba - very cold weather had hit QLD last Wednesday. I would have thought Toowoomba had a maximum temperature just under 10 degrees last Wednesday. This was the first time ever that Toowoomba had highest temperatures at 9 degrees Celsius. Too nippy, eh?

Please do some research on BOM’s website before claiming facts, the all time low maximum for Toowoomba is 6.7 and max temperatures below 9 aren’t extremely rare by any means.

5 Likes

Just because it’s been a bit cooler up in Cairns recently doesn’t mean I want to move there. That’s the opposite to what we’re going for!

2 Likes

Personally, I think NQCQTV2 should move to wherever they think the climate will best suit them and their partner.

What I will say is that among the many other reasons you’d only want to visit the Sydney metropolitan area on a holiday and not live here permanently, particularly away from the coast it’s often hotter than South East Queensland during the Summer and perhaps not quite cold enough (with maximum temperatures in the low twenties not an entirely irregular occurrence on days during some of our recent Junes, Julys and Augusts - need I mention next week’s forecast?) for your liking during Winter. Katoomba & the Blue Mountains can sometimes get what you would say is truly Winter weather, but that’s about it really.

Canberra has a good 4-season climate, with warm to hot summers with low humidity & cool nights (unlike in Western Sydney & much of QLD), as well as cool to cold winters.

Here are the climate comparisons between Toowoomba & Canberra:

Category Toowoomba Canberra (Tuggeranong)
Average Maximum Temp. - Jan. 28.4°C 29.7°C
Average Maximum Temp. - Jul. 16.7°C 12.3°C
Average Minimum Temp. - Jan. 17.6°C 14.5°C
Average Minimum Temp. - Jul. 6.6°C -0.1°C
Average 9am Dew Point Temp. - Feb. 16.8°C 12.3°C
Average 3pm Dew Point Temp. - Feb. 15.6°C 10.1°C
Average 9am Relative Humidity - Feb. 75% 68%
Average 3pm Relative Humidity - Feb. 56% 39%
3 Likes

Has anyone else noticed that the Apple weather app on iPhone, a lot of the time seems to forecast a different minimum/maximum temperature, for cities & towns, (e.g. Adelaide’s max temp is forecast to be 18 degrees tomorrow, while the Apple weather app says 17 degrees) compared to other weather apps & forecast reports in newspapers, TV nightly news etc. Is it because Apple weather gets its information from The Weather Channel in the US?

Yes. All of the media and other reports you see would be using the official BOM forecasts created by their meteorologists.

The Apple Weather app is just showing computer predictions from the US Weather Channel.
I don’t find the Apple app to be very accurate, so personally never look at it

2 Likes

Wow! That’s great.
Thanks heaps for going to the effort!

1 Like

I think the worst part of the Apple weather app, is when it’s been pouring with rain for a couple of hours & it still says chance of rain 10%!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the problem with using overseas computers to try and predict the weather I suppose, they have absolutely no idea.

I find on the Apple app that the current observations it spits out are some made-up garbage as well.

Last year I was staying in Mackay in Winter and it was a chilly morning, 7 degrees. But the apple weather app was claiming that the current temperature was 17. Dodgy as!

3 Likes

I live in one of the coldest suburbs in Sydney, at least as far as average minimum temps are concerned.

2 Likes

And the opposite in summer - though Penrith would be hotter than Campbelltown.

I think Penrith just gets the worst weather of the Sydney metropolitan area in general: As well as their reputation for being the coldest place in Winter and the hottest during Summer, that suburb and the surrounding region is often the hardest hit by severe storms.

A bit dodgy for Domain to say that Wagga is “one of the coldest suburbs close to Sydney” in that article too - try a major regional NSW town several hundred kilometres away from the metropolitan area (if anything, closer to Melbourne than Sydney)!

4 Likes