Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Well the hot weather does come from WA…

1 Like

Yes summers used to be great back in the 70s and 80s when I was growing up.

Never used to get humid, now it’s humid most days during summer.

Though the plus side is the milder winters, but I think I prefer it the way it used to be. For me, it’s easier to warm up than to cool down.

1 Like

Canberra is on track to record it’s fifth 40-degree day for the year on Saturday, after a record-breaking run of four days above 40 degrees last week.

For 25 years between 1973 and 1998, Canberra did not see a single 40 degree day. There were nine days that reached 40 degrees between 1913 and 2006, and then 16 times since 2007.

I use to love summers as a child but as you grow older it’s harder to cope with the heat,especially the extreme humidity nowadays.
I use to love going to the beach for a swim as l have lived close to a beach for 30 years, but in recent years because of my health conditions going to the beach is not possible.
Looking forward to the cool change when it eventually arrives :pray:

1 Like

Surely climate change must have something to do with Canberra having so far received five days over 40 degrees this year and sixteen since 2007, especially when you consider the fact that the city received no 40°C+ days between 1973 and 1998? That’s without taking into consideration the weather that Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and probably most places of Australia have experienced so far this Summer.

4 Likes

It seems fairly obvious that these are examples of the more extreme weather climate scientists said would result from global warming.

I’m surprised at the level of denial still present, and wonder how much does it take before the right-wing media (News Corp/Sky News at night, etc.) stop denying scientific facts staring us in the face. Global warming shouldn’t be a political issue; it’s frustrating & sad that the vested interests (who continue to profit from fossil fuels which are exacerbating the problem) have been so successful in delaying & blocking action to ease our transition to sustainable policies & practices.

4 Likes

40 degrees at Hobart Airport and Campania today but most importantly none of the dry lightning storms which were possible gave eventuated. Most of the major fire burning all began from lightning strikes over the last month or so.

1 Like

well afer the heat today iam no longer a climate change deinal i now belive that climate change has inpacted on our current weather

The thing that worries me is given that the weather has changed considerably in the last 30 years, how much hotter is it going to get in the next 30?

Populated parts of Australia will be virtually uninhabitable by mid to late this century,

2 Likes

Canberra has just recorded its 5th day of temps above 40°C for the month, an all-time record for within a single calendar month & year.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, SW WA is enjoying a mild summer. I think it was 21C (max) the other day in Perth, probably cooler in places like Albany and Margaret River. It may as well be a different planet over there.

There seems to be somewhat of a decadal pattern with summer heat extremes in Australia, with the background global warming trend on top of this. Right now we have a cool west/hot east pattern; the reverse was true for much of the early 2010s, with Perth having near record or record heat almost every summer. Sydney has had record to near record heat in most seasons since late 2015. The pattern is probably related to conditions in the Pacific Ocean (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) and is longer term than the annual El Niño/La Nina events. Unfortunately, we will probably see record heat for a few more years yet. I suggest holidaying in Albany or NZ in summer in the interim.

Also unfortunately in Sydney’s case, the Tasman Sea is warming much faster than the global average. That’s why the humidity is constant on the NSW coast in summer these days. At least in Adelaide and Melbourne, you have changes directly off the much cooler Southern Ocean which break up the heat more effectively than in Sydney.

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that my statements regarding Sydney and Perth weather can be verified by going to the Bureau website and looking at the seasonal reports for each city and state e.g for NSW/Sydney:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/statement_archives.shtml?region=nsw&period=season

You will see it’s nothing but warm and dry for most seasons in Sydney over the past couple of years. Perth has enjoyed average or cooler than average conditions most of the time since 2016.

Ditto for NQ.
Conditions in Northern QLD have been really nice for this time of the year, by NQ standards.

Locals are saying it’s been a quite nice summer so far.

We had a terrible heatwave in late November that lead to the CQ bushfires in early December, but since then, conditions have been mild by local standards.

It’s still been humid, as it always is, but the humidity and heat have been much lower recently than you’d normally expect at this time of year.

1 Like

An 18 degree night would be great right about now!
We’ve pretty much had overnight temps above 20 since Christmas

1 Like

Apologies for the quick TV photo.

Check out that incredible daily rainfall forecast!

1 Like

860mm in a week. That’s insane!

3 Likes

Incredible!

I think I saw on BOM that Cardwell is expecting up to just over 1,000 mm of rain in the next week, with up to 350 mm to fall on Friday.

Seems like Townsville will be Brownsville no more.

Hope you get through with no real water damage @NQCQTV2.

Send some to Tassie, some records for driest January ever to be set around the state including Hobart who have so far had only 0.2mm for the month.

The fires are getting worse too and have done some significant historical and tourist attraction damage. Yesterday there was a photo released of the Tahune Airwalk which in places has suffered significant damage, the visitor centre however has been saved and today it was confirmed that Churchill’s Hut was also destroyed, this was the location where the last Thylacine was trapped. The fireys tried to protect it but had to evacuate when conditions got too dangerous and the sprinkler systems around failed to help it.

Tahune Airwalk Before:

After:

Churchill’s Hut Before:

4 Likes

Yeah, 2016 was like that. The power crisis over summer and Autumn - Basslink was down for 6 months and the dams were at critically low levels. The East Coast had an east coast low which caused flooding then and then the June floods hit the north of the state big time and caused problems until the next summer. 2016 was not a good year.

2 Likes

Yes, and yet there are still those who (twist the stats) claim about the same overall mm of precipitation happens in a year and so there’s no problem. Extreme weather is obviously worse, and more common than it has been historically.

1 Like