Classic TV Listings

Tomorrow’s TV: 25.2.1975, Melbourne from the Listener In-TV.

This was only a few days before the full changeover to colour and TV stations were restricted in this last week of Black and White television to only have test colour programs during the daytime. After 6.00pm was to be completely B&W so as to increase the impact of “C-Day” on 1 March.

4 Likes

I notice The Mike Walsh Show as still on O in that year.

Looking back, what was the point of the restrictions on test colour programming before C day?

The Mike Walsh Show didn’t move to 9 until 1977. Apparently the big carrot that 9 waved at Walsh was the promise of doing the show live to air, whereas the show was pre-taped days in advance at TEN10. I imagine 9 had a lot more dollars to splurge too, i can’t imagine Ten being as generous

Restrictions were placed on colour test programming so as to have a uniform changeover nationally and industry-wide and to have a big impact rather than just phase in programming gradually as happened overseas.

How long did the ABC 6-7pm line up last with My Favorite Martian, GTK and Bellbird?

Not sure about My Favourite Martian but GTK went from 1969 until about 1975, and Bellbird from 1967 to 1977.

Bellbird was 4 x 15 minute episodes a week for most of its run but towards the end it changed to 25 minute episodes

1 March 1975, the first full day of colour TV.

This is Melbourne’s listing courtesy TV Week:

Channels 2, 7 and 0 had all broadcast overnight from Friday.

Channels 2, 7 and 9 all filled the afternoon with sport and the evening included special events Colour It Music on ABC and the Moomba Opening Concert on 9.

Channel 7 had its usual Penthouse Club including Tattslotto at 9.30pm.

Channel 0’s late movie was 1001 Nights which the “AO” classification indicates this was an animation not meant for children :wink:

4 Likes

Peter Hitchener remembers the date well :grinning:

1 Like

Here’s a listing that’s a little different.

From the same issue of TV Week as above, the GLV10 program guide that appeared in the pages after the Melbourne listings.

Programs up to 28 February are in black and white unless indicated, and in colour from 1 March.

So GLV10 signed-off before the switchover to colour?

I imagine most regional stations did.

From The Age archive on Google, this is the country TV lineup in Victoria on Friday 28 February 1975:

Source: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=u9JaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NJIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3322%2C5903250

1 Like

I thought that that back in my days they have DOOL rated M @ 2Pm.

Friday 7.3.1997 for Melbourne. The Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras is broadcast on commercial TV for the first time with a delayed 90-minute telecast on Ten.

The broadcast was almost a week after the event, and hosted by Tottie Goldsmith. I seem to recall Bob Downe was also involved but maybe not as a co-host.

2 Likes

Seinfeld Uncut

Didn’t realise some Seinfeld eps were classified M! Can’t imagine they have that problem these days.

Also Nightline airing about as late as it ever did on that evening.

1 Like

The 4am Saturday slot on Ten brings back memories. Some good shows were hidden away there.

4 Likes

What was Monday to Friday with Greg Evans?

chat and advertorial show. Evans’ co-host was Joan Hardy who used to be Joan McInnes who appeared on various TV shows in the 1970s and '80s including Today and hosting 'Til Ten.

Joan Hardy is now Lady Joan Hardy as her husband James Hardy was knighted.

1 Like

Also new eps of Frasier on Fridays?

Quite a few famous Ten shows of the late 90s and early 2000s ended their runs on the network in that slot.

1 Like

Sounds like The Daily Edition shudders. So that’s where Seven stole that idea from.:slight_smile:

Yep. 4am (more like 4:15am due to lack of commercials) Saturday was where shows go to die.

Such as odd timeslot which managed to survive nearly 20 years. We need someone to do a list of every show that aired in that slot :slight_smile:

I think reruns of Prisoner got that ball rolling but it used to run at 4am every morning or at least 5 days a week. Took them 2 years or so to get through all 692 episodes.

1 Like