Children's television

Ready Steady Cook flashbacks

2 Likes

If you don’t have Netflix, Stan, Disney+ or YT, think again.

As probably the youngest person on this forum, I wanted to give my opinion on kids programming these days with various media companies.

7Network - I did watch some of these programs. Like It’s Academic and Match It. I wasn’t able to find any other shows at the time. I have noticed a lot has been produced by 7 but I never saw other shows. They have/had potential but aren’t using it properly. They have potential in quiz and certain animation.

9Network - 9Go is the only point of discussion here. Apart from 9Go which is the home base of children’s programming for some kids, and a channel I’ve relied on for many years, the 9Network barely broadcasts a lot of TV shows anymore. They have had shows like Mortified before. Mortified is true children’s programming, Wish Nine would still produce more shows like this. Reality TV shows aimed for children.

10Network - Eleven was where their children’s programming was at. I’ve watched various cartoons such as TMNT and Pokemon over the years. 10Network needs more content like that. I now wonder how it led me to waking up early in the mornings just to watch TV. Whatever happened to the likes of Toasted, now I think about it.

ABC Network - ABC, what are you doing? I have had a long history with the ABC. Play School, Bananas in Pyjamas, The Adventures of Bottle Top Bill, so many classic, good shows on there. Even In The Night Garden. They need to keep more classic shows on there. This was on ABC For Kids. Since then they have added more newer shows. I don’t really understand why Bluey is so attractive. I am happy that some classics are still present like Peppa Pig. ABC For Kids channel is still attracting viewers and is the alternative to Netflix, Stan and the likes.
With ABC Me. I liked ABC 3. Tennis Smackdown, Splatalot. They had a lot of good shoes. ABC Me was fine and is fine but getting worse. No wonder they’re losing viewers to Netflix and Stan. 100 Things To Do Before High School. Teenage Boss. There are some good shows. I was rather happy when Mortified was put on at late night. However, constantly, they put on some rather poor programming.

I reckon ABC will be the last commercial channel to keep children’s programming, but with 7, 9 and 10 not doing much now and Netflix taking over, wonder what will happen to Children’s Television and this particular forum.

4 Likes

Actually, I’m in a position to know for a fact that a large percentage of children do not watch free to air.

1 Like

This depends on the age of the children ultimately. Also if they don’t have internet access or access to paid subscriptions. While technology is rapidly advancing, I still don’t believe it yet.

But they can’t do 2 bulletins…

New Screen Australia funded Children’s project for ABC TV

The Strange Chores series 2

A 26-part season for the ABC from the multi-Emmy Award winning production company Ludo Studio ( Bluey , Robbie Hood ) and Media World Pictures. Series 2 follows two wannabe heroes Charlie and Pierce and teenage ghost Que, who continue their apprenticeship with ageing monster hunter Helsing. Determined to learn all they can and master new skills, they take on more of Helsing’s strange and supernatural chores. The returning creative team features director Scott Vanden Bosch, writers John McGeachin and Luke Tierney, showrunner Daley Pearson, and producers Colin South and Charlie Aspinwall. Joining the team is writer Anna Barnes ( Content ). This project is financed with support from the ABC, Film Victoria and Screen Queensland.

1 Like

News bulletins aren’t cofunded by the state education department…

2 Likes

That presumption was wrong. This week’s episode of Scope was another one presented by Joel which also included one of Lee’s final contributions to the show in the form of a field report.

Although Scope’s new presenter did make an on-air appearance (her first?) during a segment of this morning’s Toasted TV:

Hopefully I’m right by presuming this segment was a sign that Isla’s first episode on Scope will air soon, although I’m still not expecting to see an updated generic promo for months!

1 Like

Although they must be watching at least some free-to-air television (?) as according to ThinkTV the weekly and monthly reach is substantial.

1 Like

Another milestone in Australian television history was made this morning, as the Constable > Nakano transition on the 10 Peach children’s science program Scope is complete with a rather Star Wars-themed introductory episode for the new presenter:

Of course the actual theme music wasn’t used, presumably because it would’ve been extremely cost prohibitive to get a usage licence!

For media enthusiasts, there was also a couple of shots inside the TVQ control room:

…and finally, a few of Isla Nakano’s first scenes on the program:

Of course it’s still very early days but going by what I’ve seen so far, it seems like Isla will be a really good presenter - infact it wouldn’t overly surprise me if Lee had a say in the selection process.

5 Likes

Earth shattering!

3 Likes

Hey, if I didn’t tell you it’s likely that nobody would’ve.

Ten clearly don’t care enough about their children’s TV output to send out press releases when their hosts change (not just with this, but also last year’s Elly > Lia transition on Toasted TV change) which is a pity, because at the moment I’m sure “New presenter for long running kids show” would be a stand-out headline amongst most of the doom and gloom on TV Tonight, TV Blackbox, etc.

2 Likes

Maybe cause children don’t read press releases?

Also, what doom and gloom on TV Tonight and TVBlackbox? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Not sure about everyone else but I’d probably say that a significant amount of recent stories on those websites (and this one) referring to productions being suspended, cancelled or in some other way majorly affected due to the virus count as “doom and gloom”!

I’m also more than aware that the world of children’s television output at Network Ten isn’t something of interest to everyone on these forums, but at the same time I think a major presenter change is worthy of a mention. TV Cynic certainly thought so in 2016 when he did a post about the Jono > Elly transition (Geez, it already feels like a lot longer than 3-4 years ago!) on Toasted TV in the now-closed Eleven thread, his post on that was obviously my inspiration for the “Another milestone in Australian television history” quip! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

Where can I find the original press release for the current Toasted TV programming?

Try - https://network10.com.au/release/media-releases/

Or even TVTonight- https://tvtonight.com.au/?s=Toasted+tv

1 Like

Found it:

1 Like