Celebrity Name Game

I watched a doco about a game show scandal that involved the US version of the Price is Right on Saturday night and it crossed my mind that Australia had never had any such scandals. Two days later…

Can’t believe someone at Ten didn’t think this would be an issue.

The show was better than I thought it would be but those final round game clues were far too easy. Any contestant with average intelligence would likely have won it. It baffles me that Ten skimped on the prizemoney for Pointless, a much harder game to win, but is willing to put $10,000 on the line every night that contestants can win with ease.

1 Like

Wow. They couldnt find legitimate contestants? There were a few on Pointless that were questionable too but its just like how they cast the dating shows like MAFS and Bachelor, they all know each other.

The TV Blackbox story has been picked up by the always reliable New Idea.

https://www.newidea.com.au/grant-denyer-s-new-game-show-rocked-by-winner-scandal

You might want to check your memory. As it is a game of skill it wouldn’t require a permit from the NSW government.

1 Like

yes, fair point… you are right.

I don’t mind it.

1 Like
1 Like

My response to that;

The network has gone into damage control? I don’t think anyone really cares. I couldn’t care less if he was a former Ten employee. Woopdidoo.

3 Likes

A paper wrote a story about it, you don’t think they’ve gone into damage control? Then why did they lie?

It’s absolutely fine if you don’t care, but for others there is a story of their own terms and conditions being broken. If you don’t care, don’t read the article.

From the News article:

If you are not accusing him of any wrongdoing then why are you effectively accusing him of being complicit in gaining an unfair advantage. If he did nothing wrong, then he did nothing wrong.

3 Likes

I think it is quite clear that he did nothing wrong. McKnight quite clearly says Ten did the wrong thing by violating its own terms and conditions.

3 Likes

From the very start I have made it clear that Andrew did nothing wrong. He applied and was upfront about his employment. Channel 10 and/or the production company made the decision to violate their own terms and conditions.

If you want to have a go at me on this at least read the articles I have written and then I’m happy(ish) to cop it.

Cheers.

I did. There is the typical journalistic disclosure that there is no accusations. At least you put it high up in your article. News Corp usually buries it towards the end.

3 Likes

It was a disclosure I was happy to share because my true belief (and from what I’ve heard) he was upfront. I also know Andrew and I know he is a straight-up guy who would not lie and I felt I made it very clear where I believed the blame for this stuff-up lies. And it is a stuff-up. I don’t believe this is the end of the world, but it’s not a good look for a new show.

it did sound in my interpretation which i got wrong and iam sorry for that it sounded like you were having go at andrew and the show in general . i apologize i went on the defense about this show as i really like it and i hope it does good

1 Like

It’s all good and I appreciate your words. Just for your info I also said on the podcast I make that I liked the show and I really like Grant. I think he is one of the best hosts on Australian TV. This whole story is just about their own terms and conditions which have been broken.

Also, in my most recent story I have shared an e-mail I wrote to 10 trying to find a way to move forward and work together, which they have ignored. They could have killed this whole story simply by saying it was a stuff-up… and really, that’s all it was but they decided to deceive journos.

Having administered competitions in the past, a situation where a current or (in some cases) recently former employee winning it is about as close to a ‘five alarm’ situation you can have.

If they can barely run a game show competently, what else are they screwing up?

2 Likes

Isn’t it the production company who does all the casting for these shows?

2 Likes