Broadcast Facilities

Nine have upgraded the management of their digital storage at Frenchs Forest and Willoughby, which now holds over 5 petabytes.

https://prwire.com.au/pr/77635/channel-9-chooses-techtel-to-transform-their-digital-preservation-practices-and-leverage-genetic-diversity-in-storage

5 Likes

Which is 1,250 x 4 TB hard drives.

Which can be had for $199 at Officeworks each, so that’s $250k worth of data storage there.

Which seems about right.

2 Likes

That all sounds very interesting and the techno language too much for me, but “Australia’s largest broadcaster”? Are Nine larger than Seven in what metric?

By population Nine owned stations are in round figures about 500,000 ahead of Seven owned stations. I haven’t accurately added it all up.

1 Like

Sounds about right.

Should be Northern NSW plus Darwin minus regional QLD?

2 Likes
3 Likes

I knew that the fog would mean Mt Coot-tha above the clouds shots would feature in tonight’s news - all bulletins had the same traffic helicopter vision.

6 Likes

All commercial channels and radio in the Illawarra have been down for the past hour down due to technical issues at Knight’s Hill.

2 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face:

Seems to be working now.

2 Likes

Mt Stuart, Townsville in the distance.

I think this is the fill-in transmitter on the side of Castle Hill for Townsville North

5 Likes

Great to see Townsville has a decent sized tower, four legged rather than guyed and the legacy of ABC on VHF 3 very helpful.

1 Like

Probably needed to be 4 legged given the prospect of tropical cyclones up there?

Quality legacy infrastructure. Compare to Deloraine Rd Darwin, another house of cards guyed mast.

1 Like

The top of the BTQ tower was removed this morning by chopper. I wonder i the whole tower would be removed in the future if there is no longer any use for it. I recall the old QTQ tower remained next to the new one with the top removed for at least 2 years.

2 Likes

I noticed that the daytime light was removed a couple of days ago.

News report tonight on Seven

4 Likes

So, I’ve been wondering, has there been any developments with the proposed joint-broadcast facility between Seven and Nine in Sydney, as reported by TV Tonight earlier this year, with mass job cuts at BCM?

Was it even 100% confirmed or just that talks has begun? I am aware it said nothing would probably eventuate until 2019, but would’ve thought we’d have heard or seen more, like staff leaving already, boxes being packed, some systems already being shut down or moved?

Makes me wonder what on earth is actually happening, as from what I can tell, BCM still seeming the exact same and fully operational at the moment.

2 Likes

Thanks @digitaldan, good to see you online here. I’m not near a TV, have been told to expect a mention in BTQ’s bulletin this weekend. I’m sure @TV.Cynic has it covered as always.

Waiting for the end of Seven’s sports news for this far more important story :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes