Broadcast Facilities

As i understood it, FM’s are on the TVQ tower.

1 Like

B-Site is an alternate site for the Austereo stations, there’s not a main & backup site, they use whatever site suits, for whatever reason.

I’m not sure what site they’re currently at in Brisbane, but in Sydney Triple M is currently at Artarmon & 2DayFM is currently at Gore Hill, & it’s been like that for about 3-4 weeks now.
Normally both stations are at one site or the other together.
Same with ARN Sydney who are both currently at Artarmon, but did spend most of February - April at Gore Hill.

2 Likes

I thought the B site was Austereo’s main transmission point? And T site was the backup? Thats how I read the ACMA database?

https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=2710587

Forget what the ACMA database says, I work on the front line with the transmitters, & I’m telling you what the state of play is. :smile:
And I’ll edit the last post to make it clearer.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that! Haha. Appreciate the correct info @RFBurns :+1::+1: I always thought that the T site was the SCA primary. ACMA said otherwise…

1 Like

The distiction between primary and standby sites is more for the paperwork than reality. The only condition is that the standby site can only be “ON” of the primary site is “OFF”. Nothing saying that one has to be used more than the other. Therefore, they can run whichever site they want for whatever “operational” reason they see fit. Usually switches would be for maintenance or failure of equipment either at the TX site or in the STL link.

2 Likes

An FM antenna on the QTQ tower would be most interesting as to how the coverage differs.

As earlier stated, 9’s analogue signal was far superior west, south and east. So their arrays were well placed for the major population centres.

In the days of competition, both 4MMM and B105 had great coverage south to the Gold Coast. Some time after 973 and Nova entered the market, the MMM/B105 signal dropped off southwards.

Yes, there’s a huge lot, ‘everything must go’. Keeps the TXA Bris boys in gainful employment.

1 Like

Moon and towers (and a bit of fog):

9 Likes

Sky News playout presentation moving to Media Hub: https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/06/sky-news-switching-playout-to-mediahub.html

2 Likes

Part of the WIN deal?

4 Likes

Must be. Hopefully this will mean HD graphics across the board.

3 Likes

This is the ABRN-6 tower on Mt Nardi, northern NSW:

More great photos on Flickr of many sites

Designed to serve ‘Richmond/Tweed’, its analogue signal was used for reception across the Gold Coast down to the lower Clarence Valley where reception from Mt Moombil was less than the signal from Mt Nardi. Reception extended west towards Tenterfield, easily received on many high ridges well beyond its primary service area.

Note the significant modification (or entire replacement, current mental block, feel free to contribute)

This is current setup in BA days for modern use, it’s one of many of original regional ABC sites with major modification. The ABDQ site for the Darling Downs/South Burnett at Mt Mowbullan retains the bottom section and secures with guy ropes.

I guess TXA are content with only two full height sites in Brisbane. Certainly are options to keep old infrastructure going. In a perfect world of investment in engineering, you’d consider an option.

@RFBurns @lexington @TV.Cynic @Brianc68 @NRN11

3 Likes

Makes sense in Newcastle, Coffs and Port where SCA have radio licences, but no synergy from Tweed to Coffs nor Taree/Great Lakes, Upper Hunter or the entire NE/NW area.

Can only foresee this is an ambitious move to elbow into Bill’s radio markets, thankfully Bill isn’t the age of old Ron in Bathurst where a similar deal took place and more to roll on it.

1 Like

Thanks @crankymedia - doesn’t appear to have changed in thme 9 years since I last visited

1 Like

The commercial site, also from Flickr - lot of modification there as well.

2 Likes

For channel 8, I was surprised when I visited years ago and again looking at the Flickr collection, how short it is.

Appears similar in ‘stunted growth’ to the two early towers in Melb for GTV and HSV.

That said, coverage was fine on the Gold Coast and Maclean/Yamba + further afield?

1 Like

As seen in the background of last night’s MasterChef from Mt Lofty

imageimageimage

7 Likes

Take a virtual walk (dance) into Ten’s Sydney studio.

4 Likes

please CBS, kill them now.

3 Likes

Why would they? CBS shows like The Talk do dress up episodes like this. It grabs the audience’s attention.

1 Like