Broadcast Facilities

I drove past the 3GL site in Leopold yesterday and noticed that they’ve just erected a 2nd tower to replace the one that collapsed last year.

5 Likes

Must be a recent addition - I was down that way over the ANZAC day long weekend and it was still only the single mast at that time. Thanks for checking and letting us know.

1 Like

I actually live in Leopold and drive past every day. I hadn’t paid much attention until yesterday. It’s very new as some staff were doing work at the base.

4 Likes

@TheTARDIS have they actually replaced both masts? From chatter I heard involving the new site owner (who isn’t Grant Broadcasters, but maybe related to them in some way?), yes they were replacing the one that fell down, but I got the idea they were replacing both masts, & the one they’ve been using for the 3GL testing was the first one replaced, which was done during the off air period after the Chinese station left the site.

2 Likes

Good question. I did wonder if both were new. I was mainly focussed on the western mast which was not there a few days ago. I’ll have a closer look at the east mast today.

3 Likes

Two people have been arrested after the ABC headquarters and Seven Network building were targeted in a series of a graffiti attacks overnight.

The ABC’s Southbank offices, Seven’s headquarters in Docklands, and Deputy Premier Ben Carroll’s electoral office in Niddrie were the three buildings targeted by the graffiti vandals.

Red paint, purporting to be fake blood, was sprayed across the front windows and steps of the ABC’s Southbank office, as was a poster that read “The ABC enables genocide”.

2 Likes

From what I can see eastern mast hasn’t been replaced yet as it appears to be slightly taller than the new west mast. The red & white paint looks faded and the old fence is still around the base.

3 Likes

Thanks for looking.

That’s interesting about the mast heights, maybe they’ll get the new one on air & then replace the old one, they can’t be different heights to each other, they’d need to get them electrical the same length even if they were different physical heights & that would probably be extremely difficult, if not impossible to do, if the physical heights are not too different, otherwise they’ll radiate the signal differently & that’ll change the directional pattern.

Side Note: 3AW has 4 masts in their directional pattern array, years ago 2 of the 4 were replaced, unfortunately the new 2 are thinner than the old 2, so they radiate the signals differently & it changed the directional pattern enough that they can only now use 2 at a time, either both old or both new, not all 4, so they have a compromised pattern & reduced power in some directions, it has been discussed over the last few years since Nine Radio took over about either now replacing the old 2 to match the 2 newer ones, or again replacing the 2 newer ones to match the old ones, but nothing more has happened than discussions about it as yet.

3 Likes

Working for @MediaPotential at @7NewsBrisbane today, and how’s this for Brisbane TV history up in the lighting rig?! pic.twitter.com/B8uO5CX0cf

— Spencer Howson 📻 (@SpencerHowson) May 20, 2024

Rob Brough is waiting for the call.

12 Likes

Very cool find, I wonder why that’s never been taken down though…

1 Like

That’s cool. I’m sure it’ll be there for years to come.

2 Likes

In all fairness it could’ve been the angle I was looking at them from, so there might not be a height difference. Here’s a rough photo I got from the car the other day looking north: The left mast is the new one.

3 Likes

Agree, almost looks like it was hoiked up there 30 years and everyone forgot it was there!

1 Like

Probably one of the last time’s they actually used that studio. Family Feud was axed in 1966, and Saturday Disney and Agro’s Cartoon Connection were move to ATN by the end of 1997 (Not sure if kids programming came from a sperate studio).

Imagine being in regional QLD at 6pm - one minute he is laughing about weird answers to questions - next minute he’s fronting local news coverage of a cyclone.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that studio has long since been decommissioned. I wonder if Now You See It was filmed in there too and I wonder if Melvin the Robot is still lurking inside BTQ somewhere.

1 Like

Yes, it was. Studio 1. Not used for production since the early 2000’s. Appears to be a green screen and the old weather LCD screen in there now as seen in the background of a few old news clips in the past few years,

2 Likes

Used for tape storage for a number of years I believe too?

I’m assuming studio 1 was too expensive to upgrade to accommodate digital television?

2 Likes

Probably. Though possibly TVW and SAS both got digital upgrades, as TVW’s studio 1 was used for telethon until 2004, and Adelaide had AM Adelaide until 2003 (though may of been another small studio)

1 Like

For the last 3or4 telethons produced from TVW’s Studio 1, they bought in the ABC’s digital OB van.
Studio 1 did eventually get a digital upgrade, but it was after 2004.

2 Likes