Broadcast Facilities

And they went and built a full lattice tower just for that purpose - impressive. Any idea how long it’s been there?

I had always just assumed (until recently) it was the community site

Community is on the T site tower I believe, along with FM.

Community FM have their own small tower next to TVQ

4 Likes

BTQ7 tower upgrade 1990. All done by hand!

6 Likes

This brings back memories! I remember the family driving up Mount Coot-tha as a kid and seeing QTQ’s two towers.

1 Like

I believe the old tower is up at Mt Tamborine now

2 Likes

Why did QTQ replace their tower and with one almost identical? I thought they might have increased the height. What was wrong with the old tower, given it was relocated to Mt Tamborine and is still in use?

Here is a few shots i got with my Drone of Mt Nardi last time I was up there working on 2ZZZ

4 Likes

New studio complex in Brisbane that will specifically cater for TV series production. Series 2 of Harrow to be produced there.

Hemmant site preferred for Brisbane’s new screen production complex

Brisbane’s new $12 million screen and television studio complex is a big step closer with a privately owned industrial site at 45 Gosport Street, Hemmant the Palaszczuk Government’s preferred site.

The site, near the historic Queensport Hotel, currently houses five large vacant warehouses that would be converted into a state-of-the-art film and television complex.

Screen Queensland plans include the development of two sound stages to house two productions simultaneously, and flexible spaces for wardrobe, costume and makeup, set and prop construction workshops and warehousing.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said a 20 day community consultation for the proposed complex commences this week giving an opportunity for council, local businesses and residents to have their say.

“Broadening our infrastructure offerings to local and international production companies is a key component of our Screen Industry 10 Year Roadmap and Action Plan.

“We are investing in this vital Queensland industry, supporting the creative jobs of the future and continuing to put Queensland’s talented local practitioners centre-stage.

“Brisbane’s new complex, expected to be operational later this year, will be a complementary facility to the in demand, world-class, Village Road Show Studios on the Gold Coast," the Premier said.

VRS is almost exclusively used for large-scale blockbusters and feature film productions, providing little opportunity for smaller productions to use the facility.

Queensland’s domestic screen industry has seen rapid growth and expansion through the investment from the Production Attraction Strategy and the ability to secure productions such as: the first Netflix Originals Series; a Stan feature film; as well as SBS and ABC television drama series.

The new production centre at Hemmant could well host filming for the second series of the very popular ABC Studios International crime drama, Harrow, later this year.

“Establishing a new Screen Production Centre in Brisbane is a must-do. The lack of more screen production facilities in the city is hampering the development of a sustainable screen industry built upon an ever-growing pipeline of productions.

“I’m looking forward to seeing local practitioners taking advantage of these new facilities to tell our local stories and continue to showcase Queensland to the world’s audiences.

“We could discover the next Nicole Kidman, Chris Hemsworth or Margot Robbie right here in Brisbane,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

A recent review into the screen sector by Deloitte found that the screen industry supported more than 7000 jobs in 2016-17 and contributed almost $1 billion to the state’s economy.

“I met with several major US studios during my trade mission in June and the level of interest in filming movies in Queensland is enormous.

“Between Queensland’s Production Attraction Strategy, the increase in the Federal location offset and our 10-year roadmap, we are very well placed to achieve our objective of a sustainable screen industry for Queensland,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

1 Like

2 Likes

From a BBC doco: Anglo Australian telescope in the Warrumbngles with a view towards I am guessing the broadcast tower on Mount Cenn Cruaich aka Needle Mountain.

Street view:

2 Likes

Correct :clap:

1 Like

Has there only ever been a single tower on Cenn Cruiach? Or an analogue era tower dismantled with DTV consolidation?

More on Mt Coot-tha tower changes:

https://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au/MasterViewUI/Modules/ApplicationMaster/default.aspx?page=wrapper&key=A004992256

You can do similar checks for any site within Australia, keep pace with DA’s lodged. There’s websites like http://www.yourneighbourhood.com.au that aggregate them.

2 Likes

Looks like the FM array on the Ten tower is being replaced/upgraded?

1 Like

For as long as I can remember there was only one broadcast tower there. From the Annalog days ABC TV was on channel 5 then was moved to channel 11 in 1990 to clear the FM Band. Not long after that Classic FM was moved from 93.5 to 105.5 with the extra fm services also starting not long afterwards. CWN (Prime TV) Remained on channel 6 untill the Annalog switch off. Before the digital re stack there was one DTV transmission on VHF & 4 Stations on UHF (2VHF & 3 UHF Annalog). When the re stack happend all UHF Transmissions were cleard for VHF High (Vertical) leaving UHF Low for Mt Dowe up the road that ended up losing the VHF transmissions.

2 Likes

Thanks for that… I didn’t know that ABQN was once on Channel 5… I remember NBN being on VHF 5 in Merriwa in the 80s too, which isn’t all that far from the Warrumbungles, though the Great Dividing Range creates a bit of a buffer and NBN5 was only low power.

1 Like

The old STW9 tower in Perth has been demolished yesterday.

2 Likes

Shots of Seven’s MCR hub at BCM from 2004, in the pre show (not available on DVD) to the live Blue Heelers episode “Reasonable Doubts” from 2004.

Had forgotten it was oddly presented by a younger Erik Thomson ( All Saints at the time).

Interesting to see early days of the facility then, to final days of the facility now.

Caps courtesy of 7Plus

4 Likes

Noticed on Seek “NPC Media Pty Ltd” are advertising jobs for the new combined Seven and Nine facility.

2 Likes