Brands, Products and Promotions

Even the thought of Vanilla or Mango turn my stomach. :nauseated_face:

I agree. And Iā€™ve loved both Lemon and Lime. Something I always looked forward to drinking when travelling in Europe in summer, where Lemon was never discontinued. Iā€™m also a fan of the Raspberry.

1 Like

Timbits are :100:

The mango one was surprisingly good. Vanilla was way too artificial in taste. Iā€™ll have to pick up some of the lemon cans though,

Speaking of, apparently Lift has been dumped and Sprite + Lemon will replace it. Maccas are also replacing Sprite with Sprite No Sugar.

1 Like

I can remember Sprite being promoted as the taste of Lemon Lime but I always thought it just tasted like Lemonade. Or at least what we know as Lemonade in Australia. The Americans call Lemon Squash Lemonade and Sprite Lemon Lime.

Iā€™ve always rated Schweppes as the best Lemonade brand. I also preferred Solo Lemon to Lift. Although, these days I avoid all Sugar soft drinks completely. If I had to choose something fizzy, I would drink Mount Franklin water with Lemon or Lime.

I donā€™t know that Sprite + Lemon is going to work. It feels like theyā€™re blurring the brand and confusing customers.

I never forgave Coca-Cola for ditching the Leed brand and changing their lemonade recipe when they inflicted Sprite on the Australian market. Itā€™s far too sickly sweet and has to be diluted with soda water to make it palatable. I agree Schweppes is the superior tasting lemonade.

2 Likes

We were a Tarax Black Label family growing up for special occasions and Slades for the weekly crate. Can still get both but been a long time since Iā€™ve had either so not sure if itā€™s the same recipe.

2 Likes

Crystals and Parkinsons were the brands that were delivered by crate in my area. It was a rare treat for my mother to allow us to have them. Donā€™t think they exist anymore but I remember they were the soft drinks consumed more often at that time than the ubiquitous Coke and Schweppes brands that dominate the market now.

2 Likes

That made me look up the fate of the one I remember as a kid - Gold Medal.

Their headquarters on Street View shows a Dec 2009 ā€˜factory runout saleā€™ on their drinks - so they seemingly somehow survived up until that point. Apparently bought out by Cadbury Schweppes in 2004, though not really sure what exactly they were buying at that point, surely no value in their distribution and the brand died?

And as a fun aside, if you look at the main sign, the same address housed 3XY - the Greek station. I wonder if there was any connection?

Yes, both owned by the same family also owned the Greek newspaper in Melbourne.

1 Like

Those were bloody good. Used to love the orange and mango, and lemon ones.

1 Like

A flavour nobody asked for. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yet another Shapes variant. Fully Loaded.

2 Likes

Cheese was good. Havenā€™t tried the others but they donā€™t really appeal - maybe the chicken might be ok

1 Like

I totally agree that the cheese was good. It was more than good. I bought a box yesterday and ate the lot. I had so much fun doing it.

I love anything cheese flavour. I wish I could buy the cheese powder.

1 Like
1 Like

With your new found interest in TV commercials you should go back and watch Gruen on the ABC. Last week they featured an actor who currently appears in four different ads on television for four different products. They had a joke about his four wives in the four ads. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, he is in a current ad, be buggered if I can remember what it is for but he and his mate are wearing oodies playing video games.

1 Like

This was a real mind-blower for me. I was watching (the US) 60 Minutes last night, and one of the segments was with an AI firm who did the Menulog ads.

So get this, Snoop Dogg never did a Menulog ad! He did an ad for the European equivalent for Menulog, called JustEat. The AI firm then took Snoopā€™s voice and modified his jaw movements and dialogue for him to say ā€œMenulogā€ instead. Scary and amazing all at once.

https://nitrobots.ai/3-new-ways-artificial-intelligence-is-powering-the-future-of-marketing/

2 Likes

Not surprising theyā€™d avoid paying to have the ad re-done for multiple names, Menulog having different names in various countries - it appears they bought up similar services and slapped on their branding logo & colour but kept the existing names, like Unilever has done with its heart/swirl logo for Streets ice cream in Australia and ice cream brands in other countries (e.g. Wallā€™s).

1 Like

Itā€™s for ANZ plus.

1 Like