Binge

No Star Trek! That’s licensed to CBS isn’t it?

Depends which one you’re talking about, CBS have licensed them to different platforms such as Netflix and Amazon Prime outside of the US.

1 Like

Binge sounds like a massive waste of time. Only Foxtel could put together such a dreadful product. It’s not Netflix that’s laughing to the bank, it’s Stan and NEC.

6 Likes

Presto, as a brand, was much better than Binge IMO.

1 Like

What is so wrong with it?

What would you change?

It’s no different to Foxtel.

2 Likes

You Mean the content?

Foxtel is a linear cable / satellite service about $50 a month

Foxtel now is a streaming linear service of 60 channels for $25

Binge is not linear and $10 a month

Other than content, binge is closer to Stan and Netflix than Foxtel or Foxtel now

1 Like

It’s linear PLUS all the same content as binge being able to be streamed.

Binge is being panned nearly everywhere by the public commenters in forums etc. People don’t want it and there isn’t the demand for another streaming service especially from the likes of foxtel and news corp.

4 Likes

You mean they same 10
Millón Australians that read news Corp papers And Websites every day? Or the 9 million that watch foxtel? Or the 100,000-500,000 that make Sky And fox sports the #1 Pay channels and fox sports ?

I think primarily foxtel now is a cheaper linear version of foxtel. And all cable providers have on demand content. It’s also $25

Binge is clearly a streamer and at $10 it’s more than half price

So if it’s the same content for less than half price on a new Interface? What’s the problem.?

Foxtel is dying and they need to compete in this space. They need evolve the business

Are you suggesting they should find new content that already isn’t signed up somewhere? Or not evolve or get into streaming at all? What would you like them to do?

1 Like

9 million Australians have Foxtel? In what universe is that happening?

Please, 100K people watch ABC News SA in Adelaide and Sky is doing well if a single show reaches 100k nationally. If a FTA tentpole series got 500k it would be deemed a failure. Don’t overestimate News’ audience.

4 Likes

Foxtel is in about 3 million homes, with 3 million people per average household that is 9 million people regularly consuming Foxtel

You conveniently ignore context. Pay TV has 30 % penetration with people who have it dividing viewing between 120 channels instead of 20. sky and fox regularly have 10-15 of the top shows. Yes 100k is small compared to FTA. But 1 millón FTA is small compared to 10 million FTA in the US. But context…: they are 2 different universe

But the point remains. If Australians hate foxtel and News Corp, why - from the top selling newspapers in the country - to news.com.au to Foxtel with 3 millón subs - why do Aussies en masse Pat for News Corp products when people claim aussies will avoid binge because it’s News Corp?

Seems a stretch to me.

3 Likes

About $120 a month if you want the packages with the most content and sport.

Ridiculously overpriced to be honest but I’m willing to pay lol - however with the launch of Binge I will probably cut down my packages with Foxtel.

1 Like

Its the involvement of the Murdochs that drives a lot of the hatred

4 Likes

What do you get out of Foxtel?

If people hate Murdoch so much as people on media spy claim, why do aussies consume his media empire n masse and Make him rich?

Or is this just media spy outrage?

1 Like

Like a lot of things in life (football teams, holden or ford, choice of supermarket etc) - people have a wide range of opinions on a matter and those opinions will impact whether someone will interact with the thing or not (depending on how strongly they hold that opinion) - in this case, there is still a lot of the population that dont hold strong enough opinions to boycott NewsCorp related entities, however the anti-Murdoch sentiment is something that i’ve noticed is growing (but it can be hard to quantify).

One of the things that continually surprises me is that there are a lot of people that i’ve come across that don’t like the Murdochs, but have no idea that they have such a widespread empire in this country - so they are more than happy to consume news from their papers (or online) not knowing.

No - surprisingly, its fairly limited here (that i’ve seen) - look at Twitter or Reddit if you really want to see it.

4 Likes

Well said. I think people sometimes forget that News Corp has a virtual monopoly on newspapers in four capital cities and many regional areas.

As for their success online, I personally wouldn’t be overly surprised if a reasonably significant proportion of Australians aren’t aware that news.com.au was owned by News Corp and the site gets its success simply because of its url and other factors, such as news.com.au being the first thing that comes up if you put “news” into the search function of Google Australia!

Just like the newspapers, the main reason Foxtel does OK (or has done OK in the past) is because they’re Australia’s only Pay TV platform and have been for some years now - nationally since the Foxtel/Austar merger, but pretty much since the Early 2000s in metropolitan markets when Optus Television stopped being a legitimate competitor and essentially became Optus via Foxtel after the demise of C7 Sport.

1 Like

Yes. I’d say the majority of the population have no idea who owns each bit of media, in Australia.

1 Like
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter