Best Places to Live

actually Papa Giuseppe in North Melbourne, but they used to deliver to Flemington. I just googled and Papa’s is still there!

There used to be a good pizza place on Racecourse Road, can’t remember its name but it got taken over by Domino’s so that was the end of that!

I never got Bendigo TV but on occasion did get GLV8 (then Ten Victoria) from Gippsland before it converted to UHF in 2000.

1 Like

the anticipation

10 Likes

So, in all seriousness now.

As with any big city, it can be a hard and long process to find the perfect suburb, there’s so many for starters and so many factors to weigh.

I tend to find, make a list of what your priorities are, that is, what the most crucial factors are, that would determine if you would live in that suburb or not, it can cut it right down.

For Melbourne, you have the CBD (“Hoddle grid”), inner-city (within a 5-10km radius of the CBD) & suburban regions (south-east, east, north, north-west and west, there’s also Geelong, Dandenong Ranges and Mornington Peninsula that can be included in the urban region), then there’s outer-suburbs, which tend to be rather large, such as Melton in the outer west, Sunbury in the outer North and Pakenham in the outer South-East.

So Turdall, in my experience or knowledge or opinion, best suburbs for what you stipulated above (apat from CBD which is expensive and pretty self-explanatory otherwise):

•Inner suburbs:
Ivanhoe, Thornbury, Brunswick and Coburg are all ‘hip’ and very Melbourne-quintessential. Further east is more pricy. Rather urban looking, some nice parks and walks, as well as great public transport (particularly trams) and CityLink/Tulla Fwy.

Other inner-city suburbs I’d recommend are Footscray, Caulfield, South Yarra, Prahran, Yarraville, Moonee Ponds and Kensington (Inner-east too pricy and dense, as well as congested if you ask me).

•South-East:
Melbourne’s biggest population region, very diverse in suburbs. Ranging from super expensive, posh and exclusive (Toorak/Kooyong/Malvern and Bayside burbs) to multicuitural, big and busy (Dandenong/Narre Warren/Springvale to everything in-between. I’d recommend Hampton (if you can find good rent, rented there before, lovely suburb, yes technically expensive and affluent, but like I hinted, you can find much cheaper, train station and 30min or less into city).

•East:
Not too familar with the area and much is expensive and lacks a lot of transport with a gridlocked (car park) freeway in the morning. Though I hear the sort of Templestowe / Lower Plenty areas are quite nice, clean, open plan and lots of facilities + trams/busses. Also extensive road network, but very congested.

•West:
Take your pick and much more affordable, though there are some pricy spots. As I mentioned, Yarraville and Footscray are fantastic, also Maribyrnong is modern and clean, also lots of gyms and late night hours for facilities (Bill Shorten’s neck of the woods). Also the Flemington/Kensington/Moonee Ponds area as I and some have suggested.

•North West
There’s Essendon/Keilor East which are bustling and provide great access to DFO / airports / major freeways, mid-priced but can be hard to find places to live (availability).

Anything else, perhaps just ask :smiling_face:

(Sorry about the essay Turdall).

Why the move to Melbourne?

Does that mean you’ll be looking for a new AFL team to follow? :grinning:

1 Like

Ive had an offer in terms of Human rights law. Not well paid at the moment but something I am very passionate about.

And no I will never trade in the Power. They have a few Melbourne games I can look forward to.

And thanks Luke and everyone i will look into the suburbs all have mentioned.

5 Likes

LukeRealEstateMan

5 Likes

Hope you can give @turdall some Gardening Advice for when they move in :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

I’ve been found! :sweat_smile:
Totally agree. Essendon is a great area but as you’ve said, house availability is limited and cost a lot.

1 Like

I’m in (technically) Footscray but live around the corner from West Footscray station and I find it’s great! 15 minutes on the train to the city or $30 in a Taxi/Cab. Highpoint is just up the road if you want a shopping centre otherwise I do all my shopping in the City anyway seeing it’s so close. There’s plenty of cafes and restaurants around in nearby Seddon and Yarraville and there’s always new onses popping up in the area as well.

I lived in South Yarra and St Kilda when I first moved down 4 years ago but after being west side for 18 months I wouldn’t go back south side again!

2 Likes

The inner-west has changed so much, for the better.

Personally I feel it’s changing again and it’s not good. More high-rise apartments going up with pokey shoebox apartments. Slums of the future.

So I found a placr in Richmond for 7 weeks that way i can explore and find where I want to live permanently.

5 Likes

If you’re new to the city, Richmond is a good area. Close to everything.

Most newcomers first move here, then venture out.

3 Likes

Good job.

Right next to the sporting and events precinct, as well as an arterial (Hoddle St / Punt Rd) and good public transport.

I didn’t mention it, as it’s very dense, can be expensive and hard to find availability.

But a brilliant access suburb.

Another I thought of, is Campbellfield (outer north, half hour via a great train line).

A mate and his wife recently moved there and he loves it, reckons he saves hundreds on fuel now.

Also modern and nice area (at least where their place is).

Hey another Melbourne question. Im currenly with a country gym. They don’t have any victorian gyms. Any gym recommendations? Would like somewhere with classes. Perhaps a pool would be nice

If you’re in Richmond, try the Richmond Rec Centre on Gleadall St. Otherwise the YMCA have centres in Hawthorn and Kew which are just across the river.

2 Likes

Plenty of Gym’s around Richmond, though I can’t personally recommend one, certainly a fitness suburb.

:thinking:

1 Like

Well, they did win the flag this year!

4 Likes

Mount Waverley is a nice middle ring suburb with good train and tram services (though might be a tad pricey).

Further afield, there’s a lot of new housing going up in the outer north (Craigieburn, Donnybrook, Wallan). These all enjoy a regular, fast service to Spencer Street. They might be worth considering if you want a semi-rural lifestyle. I’m sure there are quite a few commuters from Kilmore, Broadford and Seymour, too.

But don’t take my word for it, I’m just a (heat-addled) Sydneysider :slight_smile:

1 Like