Beijing Winter Olympics Coverage

1:24 AEDT Ceremony has finished 1:26 finish on Seven.

4 Likes

Did something go wrong with the torch or is the cauldron supposed to just have that tiny, barely visible flame in it.

Are big production value ceremonies a thing of the past? That was pretty disappointing. If China can’t go big, it’s hard to see if any nation ever will.

1 Like

Is there anywhere to find the replay? I fell asleep half way during the parade of nations and just woke up now!

1 Like

To make money back on their investment?

3 Likes

Is there any full version of the ceremony? I was asleep for half of it

1 Like

Apparently the organising committee scaled back the opening ceremony to save money and also due to the continuing COVID outbreak in China (so less people got involved in performing physically).

1 Like

Day 1 Saturday 5 February

World Cup Winning snowboarder Tess Coady will make history when she wears green and gold in the women’s Slopestyle in her highly anticipated Olympic debut.

Australia’s quartet of Moguls stars - Brodie Summers, Cooper Woods, James Matheson and Matt Graham - will go for gold in the Men’s Moguls. After making a triumphant return from a broken collarbone suffered in December 2021, Olympic silver medalist Matt Graham will attempt to keep his 2022 Beijing Olympic medal chances alive.

Australia’s most iconic Winter Olympian, Steven Bradbury calls the Men’s Short Track Speed Skating, as Brendan Corey begins his campaign to win our first gold medal in the event since Bradbury’s 2002 Salt Lake City effort.

Townsville’s own Alex Ferlazzo will fly down the track at speeds up to 140 kms per hour in the men’s Luge.

Day

12.00pm Curling Mixed Doubles **| Australia’s Tahli Gill and Dean Hewitt return for Session 7 of the Curling Mixed Doubles Round Robin – Australia v Norway

1.45pm Women’s Snowboard Slopestyle | Australian Tess Coady in the women’s Snowboard Slopestyle

5.00pm Curling Mixed Doubles | Dean Hewitt and Tahli Gill compete in Session 8 of the Curling Mixed Doubles Round Robin – Australia v Italy

Night

9.00pm Freestyle Skiing Men’s Moguls | Matt Graham, Brodie Summers, James Matheson, Cooper Woods and compete for Australia in the Freestyle Skiing Men’s Moguls, vying for their spot in the Men’s Moguls Finals

10.00pm Short Track Speed Skating | Women’s 500m Short Track Speed Skating Heats , Brendan Corey in Men’s 1000m Short Track Speed Skating Heats, Mixed Team Short Track Speed Skating Finals

10.10pm Men’s Luge | Australian Olympic debutant Alex Ferlazzo in the Men’s Luge Singles

*All times AEDT

• All times AEDT
2 Likes

5 Likes

Where can we watch the replay of the ceremony?

7plus:

2 Likes

You’ve posted the same thing three times. Knock it off.

4 Likes

I didn’t get a response mate

Maybe because none of us didnt have an answer at the time?

6 Likes

I would simply wait for a response or failing that, continue to look online for the video.

4 Likes

Another billboard style

Promo

4 Likes

I’m only interested in the figure skating,Australia has only 2 representatives,Men’s single and Women’s single skate.
Freestyle skiing is ok too ,Australia have had some success in this event

1 Like

Own graphics from CBC in Canada

2 Likes

Sorry if this has been answered before, but why is there no live coverage of Olympic events on 7mate today? Is there not enough interest to warrant the use of two broadcast channels, or is it a rights limitation?

As far as I can tell there is only coverage on one channel - either Seven or 7Mate or rarely 7Two for the whole games. The 7Mate coverage only seems to be when the main channel is on News, Sunrise, The Chase or Home and Away etc.

3 Likes

Don’t know what others thought about the commentary for the Opening Ceremony. However, think Shirvington, Cooper & Nicholson did a pretty decent job. The trio provided the context needed for the event and info about each country during the Parade of Nations without being overbearing and making themselves the focus.

One thing I would say though is it was interesting how Seven decided to keep the focus entirely on the athletes/the Olympics and not touch upon geopolitical issues surrounding Beijing hosting these Winter Olympics. By contrast, other broadcasters like NBC, CBC and the BBC addressed it in someway before the Opening Ceremony and/or during it. I’m not saying what Seven did was right or wrong because I understand there’ll be divering views about it. Instead, just thought it was worth highlighting - especially because I didn’t pick up on how an Uyghur cross-country skier was one of the two final torchbearers until I tuned into the end of NBC’s coverage (following Seven’s broadcast) and the commentators were having a lengthy discussion about that.

5 Likes