Australian Survivor

Wasn’t it Zach who was hungry saying he would normally have eaten 17 meals by now. Zach was also Hunter on the reboot of Gladiators in 2008.

“I made the right move, it just didn’t work.”

No Russel, you eliminated yourself by putting to many names into the mix.

3 Likes

Too many episodes next week…

It’s a one-off measure before settling on Monday and Tuesday the week after.

3 Likes

How embarrassment. :joy:

4 Likes

Interesting start to last night’s show with a unique Australian use of the tribal buffs - while in the buff :slight_smile:

Exit interview with ‘greatest player the world has ever seen’

The only spoiler I knew was that Russell had to have gone early as he was only off Twitter for less than 4 weeks, so he had to have gone pre-merge.

I haven’t seen last night’s episode yet but I’ve heard how it all went down. Russell should have stuck to his guns and never played again. Not only does he have the embarrassment of going first in Redemption Island… he now once again has left first on his tribe but with an Idol around his neck. This guy can’t claim to be the greatest anymore. He never managed to convince a jury to vote for him and now he’s flunked out early, twice. Even 2 time winner Sandra survived a few votes on her third time around. He has not changed his game at all which just seals his own fate. If he was smart he would just play under the radar on the Champions tribe. I think that would have gone better for him.

2 Likes

Going through the TV guides, it seems like every episode of this season is 90+ minutes which is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know what they are thinking expecting viewers to watch over 6 hours of Survivor this week and could be the nail in the coffin for the show. When I was catching up on Thursdays episode on the weekend it just seemed to drag and they could have easily edited down by 20 mins. I can only see this getting more and more frustrating with the overload of episodes this week. In previous seasons I’m pretty sure it was only every second episode that topped the 90 minute mark.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. I don’t understand why they haven’t fixed this. It has been a complaint about the show since the first season. They must be aware of it. Just cut it back a little. Thursdays episode was way too long and they just showed people walking on the beach discussing the same thing over and over again. Then the tribal council also dragged on. They can definitely cut out at least 15 minutes without getting rid of anything substantial.

2 Likes

I watched a full episode when it was repeated on One. I had exactly the same feeling. It was too long and would have benefited from being cut back to 1 hour.

2 Likes

Ok again tonight the first 13 minutes was all recapping the tribal council and fluffing about how everyone is getting along and a few stories about some of their families. This is the issue with the show. This sort of stuff could be done as a companion show for Eleven or Tenplay. Take that out and the show would be around the 50 minute mark. Then take the fluff at the end out and Ten could have an episode running for an hour with ads.

1 Like

Whose idea was it to hide the immunity idol inside the lid of voting urn at the tridal council? Did it happen in a past season of US Survivor? And since each tribe got a clue on the hidden immunity idol, if Contenders went to the tribal council then another idol should also be available.

I belive it had been toyed around with on the American show (during the Game Changers season, a new idol would have been hidden at TC but since no idol had been played until the end game, there was no need to replenish an idol).

A tribal council idol was also in play during this year’s South African Survivor (yes, there is a South African Survivor and it was awesome). It was hidden in plan sight as a decoration on the desk where the host (Nico) would read the votes. The person who found the clue had to get up in front of everyone to claim the idol.

I think the point was to see if either clue holder would try to throw the challenge for the idol. Moana has it now so no there should not be another one there.

Last night was a clear example of an episode that did not need to go for 90+ minutes. It was an obvious boot with minimal strategy/gameplay. 30 minutes into the episode we were still doing the reward challenge. They could jump straight into that at the start of the episode. I don’t need to see scenes of people training for challenges, explaining how well they are all getting along or telling us how tough a life they’ve had. Just get on with it.

On the facebook page there is a swamp of people whingeing about how awful the Champions supposedly are for voting off Damian when he’s a hero to our country. I don’t know what show they think this is. Friend Island? Clearly Damian was a massive physical disadvantage, he even had to be carried during that challenge. I’m not sure what they would do either if there was a water challenge. It was the right choice to send him home. I don’t know why he was on the show in the first place to be honest, clearly he wasn’t physically up for it but Aussie shows always need those heroes with a back story I guess.

I’m pretty sure I remember an Idol being hidden under a particular seat at Tribal Council but can’t remember if that was US or Aus Survivor? Or maybe I made that up in my head. I know I’ve read articles from Jeff Probst toying with the idea in the past though. I do like the idea of Idols being in risky spots in front of everyone (e.g. challenges, in the centre of camp etc) so there is a good chance of getting caught out. However last night was way too easy for Moana to just grab it IMO.

The stupid thing was that they picked the wrong week to do it. It was a hard challenge to throw unless you were on the puzzle or fishing for the puzzle pieces which neither of the people with the clues were.

Could Moana have been any more obvious when she got the idol? I could see the others in the background and surely someone would be looking over that way and think she’s acting weird?

2 Likes

I disagree. I think Damian did very well in the challenges. I think they just used his disability as an excuse to vote him out rather than saying the real reason which was that he was a threat to win.

Jackie and Shane are the ones that are really letting the team down and should have gone before him.

3 Likes

Thouroughly enjoyed that episode.

I really hate that grab and drag challenge. I’ve always hated it and it just encourages people to be unnessarily aggressive and physical. Really wish they would retire that one. Loved the immunity challenge one though, which was made even better by Jackie getting a rope wedgie to lift her over the ledge.

Really liking the Commando. I do still love Moana but she’s coming across a little bit too know it all, arrogant and flakey. Chill girl.

Ahh the douche bro alliance finally revealed. I feel vindicated that they are nothing more than shitty macho he men on some pethetic power trip to get rid of women that they feel threatened by, which is all of them, that figures. Though I was repulsed at the level of sexism, misogyny and denigration the roidy one showed. Seriously leering, objectification and sexual harassment expressed all in just one scene was just crass. I need him gone already. As for Anneliese’s douchey brother, why is he out there wasting oxygen. He offers nothing. He has zero personality and Jonathan trying to make him happen at Tribal is just sad. Dud casting.

What I really loved about the Contenders tribe was the power dynamic. It was great to see a refreshing scenario with three clear factions. Seeing them all split up and the parent fraction deciding what’s best for them was great. A collection of little mini power alliances, I hope it continues.

What I loved about the girls alliance was how rational and thought out their boot was. So often you see players make a knee jerk reaction and vote off the player they hate but they realised roidy douche bro posed no threat and targeted a more scheming under the rader threat. I liked that Fenella and Shonee were developed more, what I hated though was their silly immature reaction at Steve voted off. Have some decorum, yes you won but you still crushed a poor guys dream who wasn’t an asshole.

Loved Tribal especially as I didn’t care who went home. I really liked Steve initially but his desperation of trying to suck up to the boys was off putting. One thing I have to credit the douche bros for though was targeting Paige. A seriously under the radar women that was playing both sides and using her charms to curry favour. So glad she ended up with egg on her face and humiliated. Never liked her.

3 Likes

Yes! Agree. What I don’t get is why more players don’t watch the voting confessional booth. So many missed opportunities there.

Yes, definitely. Jackie has never been anything other than useless in every challenge and Shane stands around usually getting in the way. Damien despite his lack of legs proved more valuable in every challenge they faced. Why worry about future challenges, worry about why you lost in the first place.

Which they could have voted him out later. It’s not like he would have gone on an immunity challenge spree.

I really felt for him getting booted. He handled it well on the outside though. I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

2 Likes

I don’t like the challenge either. It aggravated Jenna’s ankle injury which she suffered earlier. And by the looks of the preview for tonight, it would get worse during another challenge, causing her to be transported by helicopter to hospital.