Australian Survivor

Just judging from the group pic alone, it looks like a far better cast on paper than last year. More age diversity, not so many boring and bland twenty somethings and a lot of different backgrounds. Looks great.

The theme sounded terrible, but Survivor has had many terrible themes but has managed to deliver a quality and entertaining season so after seeing the cast, I’m not worried about it.

As for Russell, personally I was always entertained by his grubby antics, though I never would have thought to include him on an Australian season. He’s here so I’ll make the best of it. Though I really don’t want Australian Survivor, if it continues, to be a wasteland of American rejects.

Just watched the first fourteen minutes and It looks great. I’m glad we’re finally rid of Samoa, Fiji is a much nicer locale with far nicer beaches. The cinematography as usual was top notch and I loved the meandering boat ride.

All the contestants featured sounded great, except for the Hero guy. No thanks, don’t want a repeat of mateship or honour. I hope they’re aren’t any pre game alliances, seeing as Matt and the other guy obviously knew each other.

Though it looks great. Really excited to see where it goes.

1 Like

Ten has put up a big ad on the bottom of the front page of today’s Herald Sun (and I assume other News Corp papers as well).

Courier Mail

The promos have improved a lot the last few days. The ones that they aired during last nights Masterchef finale are the first ones that actually excited me. I don’t know why they didn’t play ones like that earlier on. I absolutely cringe though with how cocky Russell still is saying he’s the greatest player ever the world has ever seen. Puhleese.

Ten are throwing a lot at this premiere. They would be expecting at least 700k-800k surely. I’m not sure if this season will do better or worse than the last. Time will tell.

1 Like

The Daily Telegraph also has that sized ad on today’s front page for Australian Survivor, so it’s probably safe to presume it’s a thing happening with all News Corp dailies.

Tonight’s first segment goes for 26 minutes straight. That’s very long.

That makes it sound bad, this is a good thing Ten have done and benefits viewers. Good on them

5 Likes

Has anyone else seen the show Wrecked? That would be a perfect pairing with this show and with all the comedy things Ten are doing at the moment. They already have 2 seasons they could plow through.

Are the production values even better this year? They seemed to have stepped it up a bit. Even with the challenges seems like more money in it this year.

1 Like

I notice that Banijay Rights has been added to the end credits. It is the subsidiary of Banijay Group (which also owns Australian production company Screentime) which bought Survivor rights owner Castaway Television last year.

It was an okay first episode. It felt very familiar in the sense that most of the contenders had the same sort of stock Australian Survivor personality I’ve come to expect, beige, which isn’t great and is very ho hum.

Incredibly disapointed there was no intro. When you go for almost two hours and don’t feature at least a third of the cast, an intro really is needed to actually work some names out, especially when their personalities don’t make them shine. It also assumes the viewers have seen the pre season press, which is certainly not the case for most people. If viewers don’t know these people, they aren’t going to form bonds, and not give a crap who gets voted out or stick around to see a winner announced.

The reward challenge was a let down. I expected it to go on longer and for everyone to have a face off, but no just lots of camp building footage and endless exposition packages of why the champions were champions and a contender that focused on his height. Really his height was the only significant trait he could offer? If that’s the case it’s another casting bungle.

The second challenge was great. Involved everyone, wasn’t over too soon and featured a new element in the battering ram and solid, very solid wall. Not surprised though someone injured themselves.

The people for the most part seemed good. The Champions seemed to have the far more dynamic personalites.

For all the stick he received I’m glad Russell was cast. A totally different personality Australian Survivor needed. A guy that talked the talk and actually delivered playing the game, sorry Matt, AK and whoever else was a major disappointment. Though I did laugh at as BS, yeah Russell you certainly made it to the end in Redemption Island and he still hasn’t learned a new strategy. Aligning with the young hot girl. Change your tactics Russ. Well at least he wrangled that oddball in.

The astrophysicist that got the doofus music seemed good.

Miss Australia seemed good too.

Seeing Shane excel in the challenge for an old lady was great to see.

Even the commando seemed okay.

I didn’t need to hear the double amputee’s story twice though

The contenders were a big let down. Apart from Asian Steve, Matt & Anita no personalities emerged. Yet again we’re subjected to a douche bro alliance filled with the pretty people and Jenna.

I really liked Asian Steve, trainwreck waiting to happen. Certainly enjoyed his unique perspective and ham-fisted search for idols. Did not appreciate his comment about Matt not belonging in the tribe during his voting confession. Steve you dodged a bullet, you are about as trusted or respected as Matt. Don’t confuse that with belonging.

Anita’s enthusiasm and quirky personality was appreciated.

I felt sorry for Matt. Though I really wish he was more eloquent at tribal and gathered his thoughts more clearly to make a more concise argument. Sure it would have been futile, but not exposing Anita as the other alternate given to him was a mistake. Saying the ladies weren’t playing just because they didn’t play with him was a mistake too. He should have been far more savvy in pinpointing the core alliance and exposing it rather than just crediting all the douche bros.

Sigh. The douche bros. Seen one, you’ve seen em all. Boring, bland and predictable.

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve noticed. Australian Survivor always looks like it has great production values for challenges. They stepped it up last year and it’s continued.

1 Like

I was surprised to see no intro too. Hopefully there will be one tomorrow night.

1 Like

Tonight was the first full episode of reality tv I’ve seen since I stopped regularly watching MasterChef 4-5 years ago.

It was good. I am happy with it. Based on what I saw, I would look for close to a million. It is actually watchable which is so bloody rare these days. MasterChef is the only other watchable one in the country. The rest you could cut to 25 minutes a night a still be up-to-date, that’s how much junk they have.

But thank god it isn’t more than twice a week. How people have the time to watch the same program for at least 90 minutes 4 nights a week beats me.

Well didn’t Matt impload… I’m glad Steve sneaked through almost guaranteed elimination. Question now is how will he survive next time…

Don’t think it will hit a million. I think Ten would be happy with 800k considering no non finale episode rated above 669k last year. It is on 4 times a week next week and I think it then returns to twice a week.

2 Likes

For me it was the best premiere episode of Australian Survivor that we have had, and leading into this season I didn’t like the theme but I’ve regained some faith after that first episode. That may have only been the case though as the contenders went to Tribal who actually know the game. I’m thinking the Champions are more going to focus on mateship and loyalty.

A couple things frustrated me though:

• Russell is absolutely doing my head in. He is playing the exact same game that he’s lost 3x already. That Idol that he found just felt so planted so we could have the Russell legacy on our own version. Then tonight it looks like he’s swearing on his family members lives again. It just seems so scripted. He surely can’t be that stupid. This gameplay has not worked before.
  • Stevie on the Contenders tribe feels like an actor too (or is majorly playing up a character). Much like Des in season 1 and Tarzan to a point in season 2. They dumb him down as being a takeaway food driver when in fact he does many more amazing things. Plus there’s no way that he wears those white glasses and hawaain shirt out of choice surely.

Overall though the Contenders seem like a strong tribe both physically and strategically. I think they will dominate the Champions. Also… Robbie is pretty damn fine. Just putting that out there. :wink:

I just hope the episode length shortens. I can’t deal with 100mins every night (or every second night) like last season. I predict it will rate around 750k last night but drop off to similar numbers to last season.

1 Like

Yes he was and I love how pervy our version is showing off their bodies in the back stories and no blurring like the US one.

But moreso I found the pacing better than the past couple of years so far. Can’t stand Russell but if he has brought in to encourage more strategy and less mateship then good.

He’s probably seen the lack of gameplay, which he commented on, and probably thought he could coast. For once I didn’t think the idol was planted. It was in a unique tree that criss crossed. That’s typical idol planting. He’s also been very vocal about using production and letting the camera crew guide him to find idols in the past. I hope though an idol is placed in another unique tree or location on the contenders beach otherwise it would seem unfair.

In all fairness Russell’s gameplay did work in Samoa, but his Jury management let him down. If he doesn’t come across as mean or cocky, which mocking Miss Australia (Monika?) behind her back came very close, then he might not have a problem.

I wouldn’t say an actor but I believe they ham it up for either more screen time or their ego runs away with them. I also feel production give them hints for what they want to see and certain players run with it which comes across as a caricature or disingenous.

Dumbing down players, or really players being selective on what they do or what their profession is is nothing new though. If Steve was open about all his activities it would bring far more attention on him.

Do you know any spoilers? Are any spoilers out there yet?

Judging from the first episode and hearing one of them moaning about the lack of food on Day 1 doesn’t bode well. Neither does making the majority alliance look super obvious and predictable. I was actually expecting more tbh. It’s the third season and I expected to hear more game play from them. I can’t remember if any of the women commented on alliances at all.

Is he the contender that looks like he’s on roids in those leggin things?

Definitely agree on that point.

The one in legins is Zach. Robbie is the guy who complained about being hungry.

The intro aired for the first time tonight. Looks good.